maf change?

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2010, 09:35 PM
turbo2000dent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf change?

Hey up guys n girls

got myself a standard my00 turbo 2000 bout 3 months ago and noticed what seems to be like irratic boost, when I put my foot down it comes on strong about 3000rpm but then seems to drop off then come on then off then back on strong, kind of hesitation. head machanic at revolution took it out and said he noticed nothing so with it been my first scoob thort nowt more. Check engine light came on once couple of weeks ago so I stopped n turned engine off n back on n it hasnt come on again. Took it to a good local garage and got it plugged in and it was the maf that caused it to come on. He said there sensitive and the heat may have caused the light to come on as it came on on a very hot day and that if it doesnt come on again he wouldnt bother changing it.

Do you guys think its worth changing anyway and if the maf is on its way out could this cause the hesitation problems I mention above or is this really normal, You cant notice it much in 1st n 2nd but the higher the gear its more noticable. Looked through the cars history and it had a new maf in 2007 from subaru, these must be very fragile, I've heard alot about induction kits causing maf failiures but mines completly standard and confident its always ben that way,

Any comments / ideas/ suggestions i would much appriciate

Thanks
Old 30 June 2010, 10:27 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

sounds like it could also be overboosting,best bet would be to fit a new "genuine maf",then reset ecu and go from there.
Old 01 July 2010, 12:13 AM
prelude
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate I have the same issue I tryed a full service first , new ngk plat plugs , fuel filter etc etc.

But then i went on google and did a search on the issue and it seems the way to tell if your maf has gone is get the car warm (dont trash it ) but make sure its warm then unplug the maf , if the engine cuts out its not the maf .

But if the revs drop then come back up and the engine continues to run it is the maf , a check engine light will appear on the dash aswell .

But As soon as you put the plug back on the maf it will go away .

I have ordered A new maf from my subaru dealer they are £94 plus vat and carry a 3 year Warranty .

Hope that helps and makes sense ?.

Regards

Dan
Old 02 July 2010, 10:32 PM
turbo2000dent
Scooby Regular

Thanks
Gona have to get myself 1 ordered
Old 02 July 2010, 10:35 PM
chrismcgill24
Scooby Regular

Hey i got a maf from a jdm breakers and my fault turned out to be a small hole in intercooler pipe so let me know if ur needing one asap as mine is sitting under the bed not moving