Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uk turbo 2000, i need more power!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2010, 08:27 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk turbo 2000, i need more power!!

had my mint low mileage uk turbo for a month now, and it really needs more power. was driving it today, its a my00 btw, low and mid range power/torque isnt really up to much, iv fitted a decat downpipe and centre pipe and backbox and its got a green panel filter, brakes are upgraded, standard suspension. was going to get it ecutek'd by andy forrest as i had this done on my old uk turbo i had 5 years ago, but im thinking maybe that wont be enough. was thinking maybe i should get a hybrid td04, get my headers and up pipe ported and wrapped and hope that this will make it the car i want it to be power wise. 300bhp and similar torque would be nice, and hopefully would feel like a proper quick car. spotted a 3 port boost solinoid for sale, what do they do exactly and do i need one? would i need a walbro fuel pump? was also thinking set of eibach front and rear anti roll bars and some whiteline droplinks? any other suggestions or route i should be taking to get the power i want. and please dont say but a jdm sti, iv had one, i wanted a minter uk turbo, so i wont sell it, i just want it to feel quicker!!!!
Old 10 May 2010, 08:37 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

here she is btw..........

Old 10 May 2010, 08:42 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi i have a 2000 turbo and i had it for 3 years
was standard when i got her...i wanted more power so i fitted the following

HKS Mushroom filter
HRC 255 fuel pump
Hybird gt2 spec 2 fmic
Blitz nur spec r system
vf43 turbo
Apexi power fc with comander
and a map from Dan @ clive attihowes in norwich
which made a safe 340.3 bhp 300 ibs/ft ( with slipping clutch )
will be going back when new clutch and flywheel are fitted for a map to get some more ibs

Last edited by BBB3; 10 May 2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:05 PM
Off Your Marks
Scooby Regular

Its your choice mate - BUT, why ruin a lovely original example like that ?

Keep it free from the mods imho and perhaps buy a cheaper classic for nailing around in and abuse that instead lol

Its a lovely looking car - such a shame to send it the same way as 99% of other scoobies
Old 10 May 2010, 09:08 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

yes i know its mint and unabused, but im not going to abuse it, just make it quicker, and i could return it to standard at any stage. surely a remap and new turbo isnt ruining it? is it?
Old 10 May 2010, 09:11 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Mica red, the best colour. I agree with the above poster, it's such a lovely, original example I'd keep it that way.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:13 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mr hat
yes i know its mint and unabused, but im not going to abuse it, just make it quicker, and i could return it to standard at any stage. surely a remap and new turbo isnt ruining it? is it?
That's how it all starts Then it's a slippery slope from thereon in.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:15 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

thanks for the compliments, yes its a lovely car, just needs a bit more poke!
Old 10 May 2010, 09:25 PM
Trevcoss
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Simtek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

A friend of mine has a very similar spec to that which you are looking at. Full exhaust, pannel filter, hybrid td04, and an ecutek remap. His produces just shy of the 300 300 mark but makes for a nice rapid and pokey car, it does run out of steam a bit at the top end of the rev range but with a uk spec bottom end thats probably a good thing!! He does not have the ported up pipe and headers although his are wrapped, im not sure what you would gain in responce by having them as its already a punch package, however im sure they wouldnt hurt and may well get you to the 300 300 you desire. you will also need an uprated pump as you indicate. As for ruining the car I fail to see how non visible mods that uprate the car and make it more how it should have been ruin it in any way.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:27 PM
basssound
Scooby Regular

I've been wanting to know this for a while now.
Wanting to get it remapped to 270 but then thought why not just go for a bigger turbo, injectors and intercooler.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:32 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trevcoss
A friend of mine has a very similar spec to that which you are looking at. Full exhaust, pannel filter, hybrid td04, and an ecutek remap. His produces just shy of the 300 300 mark but makes for a nice rapid and pokey car, it does run out of steam a bit at the top end of the rev range but with a uk spec bottom end thats probably a good thing!! He does not have the ported up pipe and headers although his are wrapped, im not sure what you would gain in responce by having them as its already a punch package, however im sure they wouldnt hurt and may well get you to the 300 300 you desire. you will also need an uprated pump as you indicate. As for ruining the car I fail to see how non visible mods that uprate the car and make it more how it should have been ruin it in any way.
yes i wont be touching the car cosmetically, want it to look exactly as it does now, even down to the orange indicators, just want to improve power.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:23 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Full decat exhaust system
Walbro pump
VF22/23/28/35 turbo [probably others aswell]
Remap
Should see well over 300/300

Also consider NGK plugs and Prodrive/Samco Y pipe.
3 Port boost solenoid can be had for £30 2nd hand as fitted to imports and allows the boost to be tweaked although not vital.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:25 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

That's beautiful, please keep the outside clean
Old 11 May 2010, 08:08 AM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

thanks. want to keep the responsivness of the td04 hence why i fancy a hybrid td04 along with the other mods so its still quick of the mark and low down pick up etc, without going chasing big figures and putting too much stress on gearbox etc, 300bhp and torque would be nice.
Old 11 May 2010, 12:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hi I too bought a car just like yours (same colour too) about 2 years ago. Mint low mileage MY00. Although there is sometimes a tempation to keep things standard on such a great example of the marque I think tasteful mods are a great idea. Keep things subtle and under the bonnet and get the car you want.

I have changed the exhaust, suspension, wheels and soon to be brakes on mine because I want the car to be what I want it to be. I will tinker with the engine once the new brakes are on, but I have tried to keep all my mods tasteful. No big spoilers, stupid dump valves or flamer kits for me.

Get your car how you want it and enjoy it.
Old 11 May 2010, 12:24 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

im also looking at maybe going down the ppp route been trying to source the original ppp parts on ebay and on here etc but think i would soon tire of the performance as 245 isnt much of a hike.
Old 11 May 2010, 12:36 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Three tries to post...

Last edited by dunx; 11 May 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11 May 2010, 12:51 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

?????
Old 12 May 2010, 05:37 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ported headers and matched uppipe will add torque right across the rev range, the car will feel more willing and it will free up top end, (where you probably don't need to drive) noticably.
Old 12 May 2010, 09:17 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going down the very same route as yourself as i love the quick spool up time of the td04,even if it lacks puff at higher rpm,then 10 days before the remap i got a mint vf28 which had covered 36k which i had to buy for the money.My current car had a prodrive ecu & y pipe and made the car a much better drive than in std form.
If you want 300 bhp and quick spool up time then i would opt for the andy forrest hybrid,here are the details below:

AFP4H – is based on a TD04 this is available new or fully re-manufactured on an exchange basis. It is fitted with a new high efficiency, high flow rate compressor wheel and compressor housing which is capable of maintaining the fast spool up rate typically associated with the TD04 but with the ability to run higher boost efficiently over a wider rpm band. This turbo has been tested to levels in excess of 320lbft and 320bhp. With full boost still coming in as low as 2500rpm on a 2.0

£400 exchange (includes 12 months warranty)

Hope this helps
Old 12 May 2010, 10:22 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a look here for examples of what can be done - http://andyforrestperformance.co.uk/58730.html

Nice car by the way, totally immaculate.

As you've said(and you'll see on Andy F's site), you'll need another turbo for around 300. Personally I wouldn't have a UK Turbo running over 300bhp, mainly because of the softness of the transmission/drivetrain. I know a lot of people have them running that and they're fine, but I would just rather be on the safe side... and in my opinion, driving a 280bhp car hard with mechanical sympathy is relatively safe. Over 300 is pushing it.

The main things I would sort on a Turbo 2000 would be brakes and suspension. Good set of brakes and even just springs and anti-roll bars. Stiffer at the back to go some way to sorting out the balance problems. Even doing that, you'll be able to keep all the standard stuff together and, if you think it'll sell more easily standard you can always just throw them back on and sell all the aftermarket stuff seperately... probably make more money that way.
Old 12 May 2010, 12:56 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the input. thought i had myself a nice set of ported and matched headers/up pipe off here yesterday only for them to be sold from under me which i am just a little bit p*ssed off with, so will look out for others or just get a spare set i haev in my garage ported. want to get everything else done prior to remap to save spending more on having the map tweaked. car already has uprated front brakes and pads so just looking for anti roll bars and alloy drop links to sort the suspension, dont want to touch the shocks or springs as i like the ride as it is.
Old 12 May 2010, 08:04 PM
Matt78
Scooby Regular

Just got mine mapped last friday mate, 1999 turbo 2000. I have a full de-cat Ninja 2 exhaust, Blitz induction kit, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Turbo Technics Hybrid turbo, ecutec remap. Standard intercooler, standard headers. 304 bhp, 301 lbs/ft torque.
Old 12 May 2010, 10:36 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

managed to get myself a genuine prodrive y pipe off a rb5 with ppp so will get that fitted, then ported headers and up pipe, then hybrid td04, then ecutek. should be good for the figures im after hopefully.