ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Just ordered a MY01, Good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2001, 08:56 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

having just ordered a new wrx, silver 5dr for dogs and kids, I thought i'd get some opioninons from this BB. It seems a lot of people are slagging the 01 off compared to the 00.
Should i be concerned about this and reconsider my order or is the car better than people suggest?
Im also getting it ppp'd as soon as prodrive have it ready so does this plus the better handling close the gap on the 00?

Anyone think i'm still mad? should i look for something else?

TIGGS

ps- im well aware the car is ugly (as was considered the origianl before it became an icon) and before anyone says get an old one- it needs to be new (company lease)
Old 02 March 2001, 09:03 PM
mat-e-boy
Scooby Regular

Yes it's a great car and who gives two monkeys if the previous model was better! It's still a much better mile eating all weather drivers car than anything else around for the money. I hope you enjoy it lots. All the best.
Matthew

Old 02 March 2001, 09:13 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Of course Its a good Idea it IS a SCOOB!!!
Old 02 March 2001, 09:18 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Not that I'm biased or anything ( ) but I think the wagon looks the better model

What do you want from/can you do with the car? Scoobysport already have a number of worthwhile mods available for a MY01. The SS 4dr that I had a ride in round Donno was neither a slouch nor out-handled.

I'll be getting one when the 5dr STi's get brought in by Subaru (I very much hope).

Happy motoring & welcome to the bbs. Also join the SIDC.

(Edited due to grammar neither/nor )

[This message has been edited by Puff The Magic Wagon! (edited 02 March 2001).]
Old 02 March 2001, 09:21 PM
Audidude
Scooby Newbie

MY01 is better finished, way more torsionally rigid, more refined, better riding, better controlled chassis, heavier and slower!. Altogether more grown up, mature and "nicer". Much better as an every day driver.

MY00 is tinnier, cheaply finished, rattlier, harder riding, more communicative, faster, better steering (by far), altogether more *****-out fun but not IMHO close to the new car as an every day driver.

Better???? Depends entirely on your priorities (as do all life's choices - that's why I drive an S3 MTM 250ps ).

Chip the MY01 and you're in a different ball game altogether (you can then seriously play with my S3 )

Cheers
Old 02 March 2001, 10:27 PM
jason b
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Having had the use of one for a couple a days while my old baby (p1 getting the new one tomorrow) was in the dealer i found it a good car with good handling but it felt like it was on stilts.
My opinion is that they have taken the fun element out of the car which is why we buy them isnt it?
Old 02 March 2001, 11:42 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Good one ?? - From what you describe as what you want - probably not. As your aware - from reports and threads - probably not as good a drive as the original etc... but as always, people are too keen to forget how good the Mk I version is in light of a new 'Y' number plate etc...... I'm sure you'll enjoy the MY01, but what surprises me is in how over the last few months people are already turning their backs on what was the 'best' for the sake of a new look, etc etc.... it pi55es me off the way people are all to critical, then jump on the old wagon 'cos theres a new model out etc... Good luck to you (!) - modifying is all good and well, but to be honest the modifications people have been talking abour for the MY01 so far have amounted to buying the new car, paying about £2K, getting a total facelift, engine mod's so it produces the same BHP and buy a more aggressive wing etc.... Seems a tad pointless don't you think when this is meant to be the *new* and *better* car???
Apologies for ranting , but come one - OK want a more refined car - buy a Merc/BMW - want to drive a *real* car - buy a MY00 or a P1 - WAKE UP !

Gastro
Old 02 March 2001, 11:43 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

Pretty much agree with all the comments made so far. Great car when viewed (not from the front though) in its own right. Though even after 2k miles, mine still feels like it really needs another 30bhp. Not quite got the punch of the previous two cars (MY97/99). Though prefer the handling / build quality etc. Much easier and predictable to place than the old one (though I don't consider myself any great driver anyway).

Lower it 20mm, 30bhp more (like the Jap version... hence giving it the same power to weight ratio of the old car) and sort those horid front lights. Then you would have a super car (did I hear anyone mention the new STI?). Though how about a middle ground, for those of us that don't want to pay £32k! How about Subaru offering something between the standard WRX and the STI? Now there's a thought.

Think I'm going to have to dump the Prodrive WRX back box, a bit too intrusive for the long journeys I do.

Have fun...

PS. I don't think you will regret your purchase.
Old 03 March 2001, 12:45 AM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

I was in two minds as what to do with regards to buying a WRX or later version of the old shape, and I just can't bring myself to buy the WRX.
I'm going to buy a MY00 model and keep it a few years until prodrive have worked there magic on the new WRX.
I know I'll lose money on the old shape,but what ya gon' do..
Old 03 March 2001, 09:31 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Yes, its a good idea !!

Pete
(VERY happy with his WRX)
Old 03 March 2001, 11:34 AM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

Bloody marvelous idea. Far more refined than the old car, looks hideous at the front, but I really dont give a flying when I am driving it.

For what you want it for it will be ideal IMHO. If thrills are required why have a MY00 when a P1 is availble.

Ive only done 350 miles in last two days and I am itching to use the 4000 revs not availble yet. I must admit the downpipe and backbox were changed before it went on the road and centre section is being done at 1000 mile service.

Got to go to Wales now (because a, it's there and b) need to get 1st service done by next weekend.

Just do the exhaust, it makes sooo much difference.

Enjoy.
Old 03 March 2001, 12:32 PM
Maddy
Scooby Regular

Tiggs,

I reasently had the choice of buying a new shape WRX or the old shape Turbo on a 'Y'.

So when people say get an old one you still can however don't think there's many left now and colour will be limited.

After careful concideration I purchased the old shape Turbo, AWD was new to me and so were turbo charged engines as my old car was an ITR (Vtec) which had all the power on the fronts and prior to that it's not even worth mentioning what I drove.

But yes !! I found the Impreza a somewhat different type of car to drive and now can see what all the fuss is about 'AWD simply rules' and Turbo's well ..(Lovley jubbly)

Old shape SIT
=============
For some reason the old shape Turbo apealed to me more, think it was the engine sound and the punch in the kidneys when the turbo kicked into play that did it for me, not forgetting the aggresive looks.

New shape WRX
=============
The WRX seamed a nice car and if a old shape turbo was not available I would of certainly bought the WRX (who wants an Audi or BMW or Ford anyway)

The WRX is well refined and handled the road perfectly but on a neggitive point of view it seemed to lack the wopping fun factor of what the old Turbo was offering me.

I've had my NEW (old shape Turbo) almost 3 days now and am confident I made the right choice.

However If i'de of bought the new shape WRX It would of been a bit more exclusive and eventually good mods would become available, however by the time you've moded the car and changed the body work hence the bug eyed lights and added the total amount spent you probably could of bought a 'P1'

So have Subaru got it all wrong with the new WRX ?

well in my view I think they have I'm entitled to my opinion but hope they prove me wrong.

At the end of the day though it's a scooby and any scooby is a magical motor.

Maddy
Old 03 March 2001, 01:39 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Cool

on the subject of the ppp did it make a big difference to the old car (ie. £2k of difference)? i gather it is liklley to be of bigger benifit to the my01 because of the emmisions restrictions etc on it.

also, does lowering it 20mm make much difference?
Old 03 March 2001, 02:23 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sort the breathing out (speak to Pete Croney at scoobysport) and before you know it you have a raging proper bit of kit

R

Warming more and more to the MY01
Old 03 March 2001, 05:15 PM
SuperGlue
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Owen:
<B>Hi all,

Pretty much agree with all the comments made so far. Great car when viewed (not from the front though) in its own right. Though even after 2k miles, mine still feels like it really needs another 30bhp. Not quite got the punch of the previous two cars (MY97/99). Though prefer the handling / build quality etc. Much easier and predictable to place than the old one (though I don't consider myself any great driver anyway).

Lower it 20mm, 30bhp more (like the Jap version... hence giving it the same power to weight ratio of the old car) and sort those horid front lights. Then you would have a super car (did I hear anyone mention the new STI?). Though how about a middle ground, for those of us that don't want to pay £32k! How about Subaru offering something between the standard WRX and the STI? Now there's a thought.

Think I'm going to have to dump the Prodrive WRX back box, a bit too intrusive for the long journeys I do.

Have fun...

PS. I don't think you will regret your purchase.[/quote]

The Subaru you speak of could be the Special Edition WRX (between the standard WRX and the STI)
Terry

Old 03 March 2001, 10:17 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Just got back from Wales, failed miserably to stick below 3000 rpm, 3500 now the norm; been above a couple of times ( through tunnels etc ). Not too sure what has happened to the centre section but the exhaust sounds far better tonight than it did this morning! 600 miles now done, I can book it in for service early next week.

Overall, the car is much better than old model. Still ugly at front and still dont care!! That's the car being ugly, not me. The car is attractive from the side and back, unlike me. Ha Ha.

Great Days.
Old 04 March 2001, 04:30 PM
Loukesey
Scooby Newbie

If only I could afford the insurance to join in the debate - For the next two years I'll just have to stick to my sport.

BTW - There are plenty of good deals on P1's at the moment if you dont mind nearly new - my brother inlaws has an insurance quote and its on a couple of quid a week more than the turbo + it does look much better!
Old 04 March 2001, 09:58 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Folks

My MY01 Wagon is just fantastic....nearly a week old now!!! Had a MY00 before and for me the 01 is the better car all round. I can't use all the revs yet, but I can tell you don't get the kick in the back in the same way as the 00. However stats tell all, and the 0-60 and through the gears the figs say it's faster. It's also easier to drive quickly without the missus noticing!! That's got to be a good thing, right?

For me, and I know its a personal issue...it does more things better than the old shape, and therefore its a better car. I don't pretend to be a racer, just enjoy having the power for accelerative bursts and safe overtaking / handling all-weather. I even like the looks of the new car. It doesn't get the attention of kids and police either at the moment.

In 6 months, all you doubters out there will be buying the new model. Probably.

Cheers...
Old 04 March 2001, 10:09 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Nice to see some +ve posts re the new model. I think all the debate is very healthy and no doubt will rage for many months (years?!) to come. As far as I can see, the future looks pretty interesting Subaru wise. Now what will be the differences when the MY02 comes out? My God, I've only had the new car a month and I'm already thinking about the next one!

One thing I do know for certain, Which ever Impreza turbo you drive, it's a bloody good motor and lets be honest, that's what we buy them for (well most of us).

Enjoy your cars folks....
Old 06 March 2001, 10:54 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I am a MY01 WRX owner!

I'm glad to see a few +ve comments about my MY01 at last.

Ive got something to say on this "my mk1's faster than your mk2" cr@p ive been reading from so many members of the bbs. I have actually had the opportunity to pit my just-run-in MY01 against SEVERAL UK turbos for SEVERAL hours. So this is actual experience of fact not some bull****.

I was on the midlands meet last month. Followed mainly UK turbos - all with full systems etc. Im not saying i overtook inyone in my TOTALLY STANDARD WRX but i didnt get totally blown away like some of the BBS members have said i would. We accelerated hard from every corner. After long straights the UK turbo had pulled a lead of say 2-3 car lenghts - but that was all. And they have more power (modded exhausts etc) and less weight. Ive been told on the BBS that my car is SOOOOO SLLLOOOOOWWWWW. So how come i kept up? - gained in the corners and never got overtaken in the whole cruise? Are members of the BBS full of **** by any chance? Makes me laugh. I was two up with a full tank of petrol.

Oh - and i never once felt ANY understeer in the whole trip when others were off all over the place apparently!!

But then again maybe im Richard bloody Burns.......

Cant wait to get a full exhaust for my self or maybe a PPP and see what the new car can do. Maybe the mk1 owners who knock the MY01 will be in for a shock?!?!?

By the way - im not knocking the mk1 in any way - its a great car - just fed up with the owners telling me my cars slow!

Jza
Old 06 March 2001, 02:02 PM
steve down under
Scooby Newbie

Here's a note, done 22,000kms in MY01 here in Oz,luv it!
At local wrx club,car read 109Kw at the wheels compared to most of the clubs old model cars running -100Kws,I gave it stick from new ,suggest u do the same!!!
All the best.
Steve
Old 06 March 2001, 03:22 PM
BT52
Scooby Regular

Was all prepared to buy the last of the old ones.
"You realy ought to try the new one you know" says the dealer.

OK why not I think. So I try them both back to back.

No doubt about it for me after that. My money has gone on the new WRX. So much more grip and so much more refined and relaxing to drive. Sure it's a bit slower, but the prodrive upgrade will fix that (and some!).

On the other hand, my other car is an Elise 135, so fun and raw thrills were not exactly top of my agenda since I have them already, but in my opinion anyone who DOES have those as their main priorities is wasting their time on a 4 door saloon.

Oh and the comment about "may as well buy a 3-series" or something like that is totally off the mark. I tried a 3-series since I thought the same. Dull dull dull. The WRX is way more fun. And at £16,000 from Belgium it's far cheaper also.
They haven't diluted it that much you know and it is far better behaved on a bumpy road and gives loads more grip and hence cornering speed than the old model.

I agree. It is ugly as hell though, but then, the old one was no oil painting either, so that's an irrelevant argument.
Old 06 March 2001, 06:25 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Good to see BT 52 on here. Evo forum still not working!!

I've heard your arguments on the new WRX and good luck to you if thats what you want. Its just whilst some prefer the new some prefer the old (handling and performance wise).

I personally reckon the Scoob will have evolved in a year or two and the old new debate will have disappeared.

I did buy the old over the new and have no regrets whatsoever.

Old 06 March 2001, 07:16 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

I did buy the old over the new and have no regrets whatsoever.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Snap

I chose my00 over the my01 cos i'd spent 5 years wanting one and that is what i'd set my heart on.

Nothing more complicated than that

In 2.5 years time when it's time to change, no doubt the my01 will be an even better car than it is at present so the descision will be a piece of p1ss.

Mikey