Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a flocking machine, opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2010, 10:19 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a flocking machine, opinions please.

Hi all as per the title any opinions would be appreciated.

I recently lost my job before Christmas and have managed to find another one but the project does not start till April so I need something to keep me ticking over.

I have thought for the last 6 months about buying a professional flocking machine because I need some bits doing in my own car and was looking at starting my own small business doing it alongside a normal job and seeing if it grows enough to be my main income.

I’m after some opinions on whether you think it’s a good idea to start doing this at this time of year (as proper flocking machines are not cheap) while I have a couple of months of doing nothing and therefore need some kind of income.

My thoughts where to offer a flocking service where people send/drop off/meet you parts they want flocking as well as selling interior bits I already have in my garage.

So opinions please and do you think people would be interested ?

Thanks.

Msg for the mods – this is not a business advertisement at this time just gauging a possible interest, if successful advertising officially on the site will be next.
Old 14 January 2010, 10:39 AM
sean95wrx
Scooby Regular

go for it mate. if you don't try, you don't know.
Old 14 January 2010, 10:53 AM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

u can do a few bits for me if u do
Old 14 January 2010, 11:20 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats a flocking machine ?
Old 14 January 2010, 11:29 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

i can see why you might wnat to do this and understand it mightr be a worth while investment but you have to ask yourself,
how much money you have spare, to cover yourself untill you actualy start this new job?

how much will a flocking machine cost plus material to start this off?

and if it leaves you enough money to live on til your first pay packet!

also consider this, pop a poll up on here asking how many people have flocked dashes and how many dont, with a final option of how many will in the future. i am sur most who wanted it have it already and it is a minority of people will want it done. so i dont htink there will be massive amounts of people for future business.

take in mind i am sure you can buy a flocked dash from palces for around £150 and i dont think that is on an exchange bassis. so how much profit is in it? think how many you will have to sell to cover the cost of the original cost of the machine before you start to make money, also how many people right now will be wanting to spend £150 on a dash it might not be till spring untill it paid off and you are into profit buy this time you have a job.

please dont get me wrong i am all for people starting new ventures i have looked at many myself but i would not think just flocking dashes on here would make that much money you would have to go out to al forums, mitsi, ford, bmw etc so all o am saying is i domt think it will be an insatnt money spinner but hey what do i know this is all guess work.

if you want to go for it do it. as said already there is no harm in trying but if it were me i would ratehr kep the money in the bank until i was earning a wage and ten i would try it as if it goes wrong and you are left short or the new job falls through at teh last minute that money you outlaid on the equipment would now be very handy

best of luck
Old 14 January 2010, 11:48 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Whats a flocking machine ?
I think i've seen these on the internet, I didn't think it was possible to do such things with an electric drill
Old 14 January 2010, 12:57 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

thanks for the comments so far.

stevie1982, a few good points i had already thought bigger than the subaru world, my prices would be at a cheaper rate than other companies charge as my overheads would be a fraction of the cost.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You can do some for me, please !

dunx
Old 14 January 2010, 02:59 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TingTongPJ
thanks for the comments so far.

stevie1982, a few good points i had already thought bigger than the subaru world, my prices would be at a cheaper rate than other companies charge as my overheads would be a fraction of the cost.
hi mate

i assumed you would of , i would say it is worth ago if you do not need the money but if you do i would not tie up cash. also if you are wnating quick money then again i would not bother but if you are looking to make it into a business and have it as a possible extar income or in the future a sole income then mate what have you got to loose other than the setup cost (which you can re-sell) and some time and effort

so go for it, how many people sit there and think about it but never bite the bullet and go for it.

best of luck and if you do i may well be after some bits in the future if i decide to strip and cage the beast
Old 14 January 2010, 03:14 PM
rifleman
Scooby Regular

go for it mate.as long as buying the kit doesnt make you skint then its worth a go.plus you will get loads of business from here and no harm in a bit of cash in hand work.
Old 14 January 2010, 03:17 PM
nie
BANNED

go for it
Old 14 January 2010, 05:58 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The 'flockers' are extremely minty and there's quite a learning curve too. I'd suggest buying a far cheaper modeler's flocking machine and have a go with that first.

Simon
Old 14 January 2010, 08:22 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i've been looking at the prices of the machines and have sorted a couple of possibilities, going to decide in the next couple of days.
Old 14 January 2010, 08:29 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what sort of money is a flocking machine then?
Old 14 January 2010, 09:37 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

How much would it cost to flock a dash, if doing elsewhere?

How many hours would it take to do a dash, plus materials cost?

And what is the learning curve to do a decent job, ie, how many hours and dashes do you need to practise on before you would be let loose on other peoples pride n' joys?
Old 14 January 2010, 09:44 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Somebody at work was telling me his mate flocked his head. Apparently it is a solution for balding men these days

You'll make a killing on here I bet.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:29 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
How much would it cost to flock a dash, if doing elsewhere?

How many hours would it take to do a dash, plus materials cost?

And what is the learning curve to do a decent job, ie, how many hours and dashes do you need to practise on before you would be let loose on other peoples pride n' joys?

It's not difficult and i have been collecting interior bits for the last 6 months so getting to grips with it won't be difficult, anyone who knows me knows i never accept anything other than perfect.

To answer another question the set up cost for me looks like it's going to be around £1k ish as i want to buy a proffesional machine not one of the hand tools they do for £400, the flocking you do with them simply does not last.