Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Small encounter with the police.

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2009, 12:51 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Small encounter with the police.

I safely completed an overtake of 6 cars (in two bites) on a wide clear A-road this evening. My speed might have reached about 80mph in NSL . I then had to stop while someone turned right. Soon after moving off again some blue lights appeared in the rear view mirror, I pulled to the left and the police car stopped alongside.

His opening words were "We're not all swine." He then proceeded to tell me how some of the cars that I'd overtaken had reacted nervously, they may not have been as competent drivers as me, it would be a big problem if one of them had rolled (!), etc." Then wished me a pleasant evening and went on his way.

Neither of us got out, no breathalyser, no doc check, not even a request to keep the speed down a bit

The cynical might say that as a single copper in a panda car there was little he could do anyway. But I say a fine example of sensible proportionate policing, well done Cheshire's finest (But I will go a bit slower for the next couple of days just in case they try to catch me out) All I objected to in his lecture was the use of the word may.
Old 19 November 2009, 01:19 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

well policed
Old 19 November 2009, 07:48 AM
Scoobyspanners
Scooby Regular

Playing car snooker probably..... they pick a red car then a colour then a red then a ....... well you get the idea.
Old 19 November 2009, 08:06 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyspanners
Playing car snooker probably..... they pick a red car then a colour then a red then a ....... well you get the idea.
The pink Beetle always gets nicked form our area! Can't think why!
Old 19 November 2009, 08:08 AM
cossie-nutter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
I safely completed an overtake of 6 cars (in two bites) on a wide clear A-road this evening. My speed might have reached about 80mph in NSL . I then had to stop while someone turned right. Soon after moving off again some blue lights appeared in the rear view mirror, I pulled to the left and the police car stopped alongside.

His opening words were "We're not all swine." He then proceeded to tell me how some of the cars that I'd overtaken had reacted nervously, they may not have been as competent drivers as me, it would be a big problem if one of them had rolled (!), etc." Then wished me a pleasant evening and went on his way.

Neither of us got out, no breathalyser, no doc check, not even a request to keep the speed down a bit

The cynical might say that as a single copper in a panda car there was little he could do anyway. But I say a fine example of sensible proportionate policing, well done Cheshire's finest (But I will go a bit slower for the next couple of days just in case they try to catch me out) All I objected to in his lecture was the use of the word may.

So your 1 of these drivers who keeps over taking and squeezes in at the last second causing all the other traffic to slam on there brakes and nearly ends up in an accident!
Old 19 November 2009, 08:27 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

I can just see the faces of the overtaken.
Old 19 November 2009, 10:02 AM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

my daily driver ,

Back on topic though similar happened to myself good bit of policing
Old 19 November 2009, 10:55 AM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Is that car worthy of that security? Lmhao.
Old 19 November 2009, 11:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

An Alsation is your DRIVER?

How did it get it's license?
Old 19 November 2009, 01:23 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Default What a nice man!

TX.
Old 19 November 2009, 01:26 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Maybe he just fancied you and was on his way to a fancy dress party
Old 19 November 2009, 01:45 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Can't believe he bothered to stop you. It's a sad state of affairs when a couple of simple overtaking manoeuvres requires a discussion with the filth.

These days overtaking is about as socially acceptable as paedophilia.

String 'em up!
Old 19 November 2009, 03:20 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

There seems to be a mentality, that if you approach a line of vehicles travelling slower than the posted limit, you must follow as well. I love to pick off several cars at once. The amount of drivers who look completely surprised that they have been overtaken.

On the odd occasion I am overtaken, I slow a little and make room in case they want to pull in.
Old 19 November 2009, 03:31 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
So your 1 of these drivers who keeps over taking and squeezes in at the last second causing all the other traffic to slam on there brakes and nearly ends up in an accident!
what are you on about??.....I'd bet your one of those drivers who flashes his lights at any car that dares to overtake you while you sit behind an old woman driving a Metro at 40mph in a 60mph zone

As some have said theres nothing wrong with overtaking providing it's safe which the OP's must have been otherwise that copper could have easily made trouble for him.
Old 20 November 2009, 09:29 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter
If the cars be overtaken left a 2 second gap from the car infront (as per the Highway Code) then no one need brake.

& what does the Highway Code state you should do if a vehicle behind wants to overtake?
Old 20 November 2009, 09:45 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GMballistic
I'd bet your one of those drivers who flashes his lights at any car that dares to overtake you while you sit behind an old woman driving a Metro at 40mph in a 60mph zone
Ooooooo! That really does get my back up!

Nice bit of policing me thinks, prob just checking you out, no need for him to waste to much time on you.
Old 20 November 2009, 10:29 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DazW
If the cars be overtaken left a 2 second gap from the car infront (as per the Highway Code) then no one need brake.

& what does the Highway Code state you should do if a vehicle behind wants to overtake?
spot on.
Old 20 November 2009, 01:09 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I've got a nasty diesel that I drive to work in. I leave early in the morning (about 6.30am) & the amount of "sheep" that follow blindly behind a single slow driver is amazing even though there's barely any other traffic on the road If I had the power I'd overtake the lot of em in one go

TX.

Originally Posted by andy97
There seems to be a mentality, that if you approach a line of vehicles travelling slower than the posted limit, you must follow as well. I love to pick off several cars at once. The amount of drivers who look completely surprised that they have been overtaken.

On the odd occasion I am overtaken, I slow a little and make room in case they want to pull in.
Old 20 November 2009, 08:56 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

Agreed, there are a lot of muppets out there that don't seem to understand overtaking....either how to do it or let others overtake them.

I also drive a TDi or 1.4 and it doesn't matter what car I'm in I will ALWAYS let faster moving cars past me when I see them appear in the mirror. A lot of folk are in the habbit of "that guy ain't getting past me" and bunch up.....not so bad in the Scoobs cos you can just take them all when you get a safe gap but in the others it really pisses me off that nobody will overtake.....or even look to try and overtake!

I'll stop now before I start ranting......can....worms.....open....