ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Small encounter with the police. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/801071-small-encounter-with-the-police.html)

speedking 19 November 2009 12:51 AM

Small encounter with the police.

I safely completed an overtake of 6 cars (in two bites) on a wide clear A-road this evening. My speed might have reached about 80mph in NSL :norty:. I then had to stop while someone turned right. Soon after moving off again some blue lights appeared in the rear view mirror, I pulled to the left and the police car stopped alongside.

His opening words were "We're not all swine." He then proceeded to tell me how some of the cars that I'd overtaken had reacted nervously, they may not have been as competent drivers as me, it would be a big problem if one of them had rolled (!), etc." Then wished me a pleasant evening and went on his way.

Neither of us got out, no breathalyser, no doc check, not even a request to keep the speed down a bit :thumb:

The cynical might say that as a single copper in a panda car there was little he could do anyway. But I say a fine example of sensible proportionate policing, well done Cheshire's finest :notworthy (But I will go a bit slower for the next couple of days just in case they try to catch me out;)) All I objected to in his lecture was the use of the word may.

paulwrxboro 19 November 2009 01:19 AM

well policed :thumb:

Scoobyspanners 19 November 2009 07:48 AM

Playing car snooker probably..... they pick a red car then a colour then a red then a ....... well you get the idea.

cossie-nutter 19 November 2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Scoobyspanners (Post 9057185)
Playing car snooker probably..... they pick a red car then a colour then a red then a ....... well you get the idea.

The pink Beetle always gets nicked form our area! Can't think why! :wonder::lol1:

cossie-nutter 19 November 2009 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 9057134)
I safely completed an overtake of 6 cars (in two bites) on a wide clear A-road this evening. My speed might have reached about 80mph in NSL :norty:. I then had to stop while someone turned right. Soon after moving off again some blue lights appeared in the rear view mirror, I pulled to the left and the police car stopped alongside.

His opening words were "We're not all swine." He then proceeded to tell me how some of the cars that I'd overtaken had reacted nervously, they may not have been as competent drivers as me, it would be a big problem if one of them had rolled (!), etc." Then wished me a pleasant evening and went on his way.

Neither of us got out, no breathalyser, no doc check, not even a request to keep the speed down a bit :thumb:

The cynical might say that as a single copper in a panda car there was little he could do anyway. But I say a fine example of sensible proportionate policing, well done Cheshire's finest :notworthy (But I will go a bit slower for the next couple of days just in case they try to catch me out;)) All I objected to in his lecture was the use of the word may.

So your 1 of these drivers who keeps over taking and squeezes in at the last second causing all the other traffic to slam on there brakes and nearly ends up in an accident! :razz:

jonny_693 19 November 2009 08:27 AM

I can just see the faces of the overtaken. :smug:

Bealescooby 19 November 2009 10:02 AM

my daily driver ,

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...01009_1255.jpg

Back on topic though similar happened to myself good bit of policing

scixer6r 19 November 2009 10:55 AM

Is that car worthy of that security? Lmhao.

alcazar 19 November 2009 11:55 AM

An Alsation is your DRIVER?:eek:

How did it get it's license?:wonder:

Terminator X 19 November 2009 01:23 PM

What a nice man!

:)

TX.

SunnySideUp 19 November 2009 01:26 PM

Maybe he just fancied you and was on his way to a fancy dress party ;)

Turbo2 19 November 2009 01:45 PM

Can't believe he bothered to stop you. It's a sad state of affairs when a couple of simple overtaking manoeuvres requires a discussion with the filth.

These days overtaking is about as socially acceptable as paedophilia.

String 'em up!

andy97 19 November 2009 03:20 PM

There seems to be a mentality, that if you approach a line of vehicles travelling slower than the posted limit, you must follow as well. I love to pick off several cars at once. The amount of drivers who look completely surprised that they have been overtaken.

On the odd occasion I am overtaken, I slow a little and make room in case they want to pull in.:D

GMballistic 19 November 2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 9057204)
So your 1 of these drivers who keeps over taking and squeezes in at the last second causing all the other traffic to slam on there brakes and nearly ends up in an accident! :razz:

:lol: what are you on about??.....I'd bet your one of those drivers who flashes his lights at any car that dares to overtake you while you sit behind an old woman driving a Metro at 40mph in a 60mph zone:mad:

As some have said theres nothing wrong with overtaking providing it's safe which the OP's must have been otherwise that copper could have easily made trouble for him. :thumb:

DazW 20 November 2009 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 9057204)

If the cars be overtaken left a 2 second gap from the car infront (as per the Highway Code) then no one need brake.

& what does the Highway Code state you should do if a vehicle behind wants to overtake?

Glowplug 20 November 2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by GMballistic (Post 9057662)
:lol:I'd bet your one of those drivers who flashes his lights at any car that dares to overtake you while you sit behind an old woman driving a Metro at 40mph in a 60mph zone:mad:

Ooooooo! That really does get my back up!

Nice bit of policing me thinks, prob just checking you out, no need for him to waste to much time on you.

trails 20 November 2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by DazW (Post 9058648)
If the cars be overtaken left a 2 second gap from the car infront (as per the Highway Code) then no one need brake.

& what does the Highway Code state you should do if a vehicle behind wants to overtake?

spot on.

Terminator X 20 November 2009 01:09 PM

I've got a nasty diesel that I drive to work in. I leave early in the morning (about 6.30am) & the amount of "sheep" that follow blindly behind a single slow driver is amazing even though there's barely any other traffic on the road :cuckoo: If I had the power I'd overtake the lot of em in one go :mad:

TX.

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 9057644)
There seems to be a mentality, that if you approach a line of vehicles travelling slower than the posted limit, you must follow as well. I love to pick off several cars at once. The amount of drivers who look completely surprised that they have been overtaken.

On the odd occasion I am overtaken, I slow a little and make room in case they want to pull in.:D

allsop83 20 November 2009 08:56 PM

Agreed, there are a lot of muppets out there that don't seem to understand overtaking....either how to do it or let others overtake them.

I also drive a TDi or 1.4 and it doesn't matter what car I'm in I will ALWAYS let faster moving cars past me when I see them appear in the mirror. A lot of folk are in the habbit of "that guy ain't getting past me" and bunch up.....not so bad in the Scoobs cos you can just take them all when you get a safe gap but in the others it really pisses me off that nobody will overtake.....or even look to try and overtake!

I'll stop now before I start ranting......can....worms.....open....