Sponsored by:

fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2009, 05:57 PM
wrighty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel smell

Hello all,picked up my 01 wrx on sat,get a petrol smell inside every now and then,any suggestions? thanks.
Old 11 November 2009, 06:17 PM
zedhed
Scooby Regular

Me too on my 53 wrx but depends what setting the heater/air con is set at and more when coming to a stand still after a run like pulling up at traffic lights but my RS Turbo and XR 3 off old did the same
Old 11 November 2009, 06:29 PM
Coc-ker
Scooby Regular

Maybe just a whiff coming from the charcoal canister system.
Old 11 November 2009, 06:46 PM
wrighty
Scooby Regular

Thanks,seems to happen when i put the heater control on auto!
Old 11 November 2009, 06:50 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I read somewhere on here or google about this a few weeks ago, If you go by what you read its sometimes (amongst many other things) the dump valve sticking can cause a smell of fuel...

so if you have atmosphere BOV this could be the cause....

I read this and took mine off and replaced it with the re-circ... smell now almost gone. I could only smell it when stationary, now its rare but still when stationary the smell is still there....
Old 11 November 2009, 06:59 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

the smell off petrol comes because there are fuel lines behind the inlet manifold they expand when cold this is not a easy fix mine does it but dosnt in summer you need to take the inlet off i think replace all the gaskets and pipes if you look closley when starting in mornin you will see it dripping
Old 11 November 2009, 07:33 PM
wrighty
Scooby Regular

is it dangerous cos my wife drives the scoob and im worried about the car!lol.
Old 11 November 2009, 07:36 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty
is it dangerous cos my wife drives the scoob and im worried about the car!lol.
if your wife is driving it id get it sorted there is a thred somewhere how to fix the problem wudnt fix it myself as im not hands on lol 2 hour job i think
Old 11 November 2009, 08:53 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

I was going to ask the same question! I have a 1994 wrx, and i can smell fuel when i get out of the car once i have been driving it. Could this be the same problem??
Old 11 November 2009, 09:36 PM
wrighty
Scooby Regular

2hrs and prob solved,not so bad then!
Old 11 November 2009, 09:46 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty
2hrs and prob solved,not so bad then!
yep proberly cost you 300 quid though lot off work involved
Old 11 November 2009, 09:48 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza9t9
I was going to ask the same question! I have a 1994 wrx, and i can smell fuel when i get out of the car once i have been driving it. Could this be the same problem??
should only happen when starting car on cold mornings with heater on it clears once warmed
Old 12 November 2009, 06:56 AM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
should only happen when starting car on cold mornings with heater on it clears once warmed
It does not smell inside the cabin. Its out side. When I pull up and get out. I nipped to a garage to get my tyres checked last week, when I pulled up and the fella was checking my tyres he noted it too!
Old 12 November 2009, 11:13 AM
Jekyl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza9t9
It does not smell inside the cabin. Its out side. When I pull up and get out. I nipped to a garage to get my tyres checked last week, when I pulled up and the fella was checking my tyres he noted it too!
I started suffering the same problem when i had the walbro installed a while back. No longer inside but very strong outside the cab. Would be interested to know if it is worth changing for a bosch etc.
Old 12 November 2009, 12:02 PM
b11fyn
Scooby Regular

Hope this helps, it was given to me by mark.

Common fault on bugeye had the same on my 2002 sti last winter , pop the bonnet and look at the fuel rail that runs under the inlet manifold on the left side there are two short rubber hoses that join the metal pipes and also one on far right side these start to go ridgid and loose there flexibility , in the cold weather the metal pipes contract more than the rubber hoses will return to there original size and thus leak . To check pop bonnet and get someone to turn ignition on to prime fuel system do this 2 or 3 times and you will smell fuel and see a small amount leaking from one of the rubber hoses . Bad news is there is no access to the rubber hoses or the clamps to tighten them , sadly it is inlet manifold off car , turn upside down ro reveal rubber hoses i bought new hose from local motor factors £3 and replaced them all 2 new inlet manifold gaskets £12 and then put back together . Remove top mount and then start to dissconnect all electric connectors it takes time but you can't mix them up garages will charge a fortune as labour intensive job inlet manifold lifts off with wiring loom and fuel lines attached to under neath have to disconnect turbo inlet pipe so check this for any damage or wear if any found replace as it is also a inlet manifold off job to change this , alot of people use this oportunity to do the parallel fuel mod it up to you , you would need a reg £75-£100 and adaptor these can be purchased off a guy on scoobynet might be called carl do a search . Its a pain off a job but you can't leave a fuel leak problem .

regards

shaun
Old 12 November 2009, 12:52 PM
biggi
Scooby Regular

I thought running de-cats could result in fuel smell.
Old 12 November 2009, 06:13 PM
wrighty
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that shaun,sounds same as nick was sayin,why isnt it summer?
Old 17 November 2009, 08:20 AM
maximus444
Scooby Newbie

I often notice a smell of fuel myself especially when getting out of the car after a drive which bothered me a little.

I think UK300 PRODRIVE might be right on this one about the dump valve, I left my STi in last week because she was horribly down on boost, turns out the dump valve was knackered, I'm getting the car back today so maybe the fuel smell might be gone too.
Old 17 November 2009, 08:35 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by maximus444
I often notice a smell of fuel myself especially when getting out of the car after a drive which bothered me a little.

I think UK300 PRODRIVE might be right on this one about the dump valve, I left my STi in last week because she was horribly down on boost, turns out the dump valve was knackered, I'm getting the car back today so maybe the fuel smell might be gone too.
Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
the dump valve sticking can cause a smell of fuel..
I wish I could say i was right with my initial comment regardring the BOV, but the smell of fuel albeit only mild is lingering when staionary. Im going to give the car a good overall in a few weeks prior to installing a new turbo, injectors and getting it mapped. So i may be able to shed some light on the situation. I think the first thing to look at is as as b11yfn suggests below:

Originally Posted by b11fyn
Hope this helps, it was given to me by mark.

Common fault on bugeye had the same on my 2002 sti last winter , pop the bonnet and look at the fuel rail that runs under the inlet manifold on the left side there are two short rubber hoses that join the metal pipes and also one on far right side these start to go ridgid and loose there flexibility , in the cold weather the metal pipes contract more than the rubber hoses will return to there original size and thus leak . To check pop bonnet and get someone to turn ignition on to prime fuel system do this 2 or 3 times and you will smell fuel and see a small amount leaking from one of the rubber hoses . Bad news is there is no access to the rubber hoses or the clamps to tighten them , sadly it is inlet manifold off car , turn upside down ro reveal rubber hoses i bought new hose from local motor factors £3 and replaced them all 2 new inlet manifold gaskets £12 and then put back together . Remove top mount and then start to dissconnect all electric connectors it takes time but you can't mix them up garages will charge a fortune as labour intensive job inlet manifold lifts off with wiring loom and fuel lines attached to under neath have to disconnect turbo inlet pipe so check this for any damage or wear if any found replace as it is also a inlet manifold off job to change this , alot of people use this oportunity to do the parallel fuel mod it up to you , you would need a reg £75-£100 and adaptor these can be purchased off a guy on scoobynet might be called carl do a search . Its a pain off a job but you can't leave a fuel leak problem .

regards

shaun