Sponsored by:

Auto Window Closure ??

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2009, 05:08 PM
n_12ead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Window Closure ??

maybe a daft question, but is there such thing as an auto window closure specifically for the impreza ?

I have an 04 wrx.

or can one of these cheap universal units seen on ebay be wired up ?

cheers nick
Old 25 September 2009, 05:16 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

go to your local car security place and get a total closure system fitted to your existing alarm
Old 25 September 2009, 05:16 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

don’t think the cheap units will work, I got an eBay unit for my Astra mk4 and it worked a treat for many years but the unit I got exploited the total closure feature that is already fitted on car as standard (activated by holding the key in the lock in close position)

Don’t think such feature exists on the impreza.

Your only option would be to get an after market alarm with the function built in
Old 25 September 2009, 07:16 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All you need is a window closure unit fitting there are various ways a unit can be fitted as any decent one will have a control wire that can be triggered via a relay if required by any exsisting alarm including oem units.
only problems i have with these kinds of gadgets is that they energize all 4 window motors for around 15 seconds regardless of whether or not they are open which can lead to blown fuses at best and blown motors and burnt wiring at worst
just close da forking windows ya self ya lazy sod
Old 25 September 2009, 07:56 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

This is the kiddy.
New Add On Automatic Window Closer System For 4 Window on eBay (end time 10-Oct-09 16:15:08 BST)

Fitted to both my Scoobs about 2 to 3 years ago and have performed faultlessly since. Takes about 3 hours and you only need to remove the drivers door panel to do it, and add a relay to overcome the switch that turns off the passenger windows. I took the signal from the standard central locking. The unit will recognise a constant earth or a pulsed live/earth IIRC.

Closes 1 window at a time and cuts out on overcurrent so little (if any) chance of burning out the wiring/fuses if installed correctly.

Think I have a spare one somewhere so can fit for you if local to Cambridge/Peterborough, for a nominal fee of course. Oh, and I am a spark by the way.

Last edited by his-n-her-scoobs; 25 September 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 25 September 2009, 09:46 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
This is the kiddy.
New Add On Automatic Window Closer System For 4 Window on eBay (end time 10-Oct-09 16:15:08 BST)

Fitted to both my Scoobs about 2 to 3 years ago and have performed faultlessly since. Takes about 3 hours and you only need to remove the drivers door panel to do it, and add a relay to overcome the switch that turns off the passenger windows. I took the signal from the standard central locking. The unit will recognise a constant earth or a pulsed live/earth IIRC.

Closes 1 window at a time and cuts out on overcurrent so little (if any) chance of burning out the wiring/fuses if installed correctly.

Think I have a spare one somewhere so can fit for you if local to Cambridge/Peterborough, for a nominal fee of course. Oh, and I am a spark by the way.

bloody hell not close to me , think you ought to do a how to write up
Old 26 September 2009, 05:53 PM
n_12ead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
All you need is a window closure unit fitting there are various ways a unit can be fitted as any decent one will have a control wire that can be triggered via a relay if required by any exsisting alarm including oem units.
only problems i have with these kinds of gadgets is that they energize all 4 window motors for around 15 seconds regardless of whether or not they are open which can lead to blown fuses at best and blown motors and burnt wiring at worst
just close da forking windows ya self ya lazy sod
I used to have vauxhalls, sorry, and when you pressed to put the windows up you could take the key out and they would still be closing as you were getting out of the car, but obviously subaru's stop as soon as you take the key out, plus only the drivers window is automatic, I always forget and it drives me mad lol
Old 26 September 2009, 05:57 PM
n_12ead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by his-n-her-scoobs
This is the kiddy.

bummer i'm like way north of you. and are they easy to fit then ? are the instructions readable for anyone with limited electrical knowledge ? cheers nick

ps. I like the idea of a "HOW TO" write up aswel !!
Old 26 September 2009, 09:17 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Actually it's a doddle, providing you have a basic understanding of how window circuits work. And the ***** to cut the wires in said circuits to loop in the closer. In addition you need an unswitched live supply. I ran one straight from the battery to the ciggy lighter, suitably fused of course. (I hate lighter sockets that are not powered all the time, how do you charge the phone in an emergency?)

When I gat a mo will scan and post the instructions and the sketchy drawing I made of the additional relay. Might even pop the door panel off to photo it.

Old 26 September 2009, 09:39 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought 1 of these from the link, £18 can't fault it. I like the idea of each window going up separate, different. Last time I had this all lot went up together. Different I like
Old 26 September 2009, 10:22 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Think they do it that way to reduce the load. Some windows will stall if the voltage suddenly dips due to excess demand on the battery, particularly if the glass is wet. Saves the battery and the wiring and leaves little chance of failing to do its job ie. closing all the windows reliably.

Logical sequence is drivers first, passenger second followed by the rears in any order.

Old 26 September 2009, 10:31 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted it for the scoob for a while, but never looked into it. Sick of locking the car wlkin away to find on my return the kids left rears open. That's if the alarm don't go off, anyways for £18 and a few hrs work worth it just to save on hastle keep havin to check or go back and reshut the widows. Can do it next sat or Sunday night while at work and be paid to do it.