Sponsored by:

Do they all understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2009, 11:38 PM
mak24seven
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do they all understeer?

Hi chaps, pretty new around hear and may be talking a load of old bullox but hey, if people didnt post there would be no web site lol, i've had my 55 plate sti for a couple of week now and allthough it lives in the garage and only gets used at the weekend i have had chance to push it some wot and i have to say i'm struggling to get this thing to understeer in the reall world, i'm talking about fast sweeping 4th 5th gear bends and tight 2nd gear bends keeping constant power, just on the throttle balanced so to speak, this is with the dccd on auto, on open diff it feels more like the rear wheel drive cars i'm used to . Have they dialed out some of the understeer on the later cars that i read so much about on hear or am i gonna get abuse about not trying hard enough . One thing that ****** me off though is the short ratio box, its to short to hold a gear through a fast bend meaning it revs out bang on the apex, i'm used to box's with longer legs and 1st and 2nd on this one are a waste of time. Did i mention i love this car though .
Old 04 May 2009, 12:07 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

im sure when you push it to much you get that snap feeling and enjoy the ride good times ,,, i love my classic the real drivers feel happy days
Old 04 May 2009, 01:56 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mak24seven
Hi chaps, pretty new around hear and may be talking a load of old bullox but hey, if people didnt post there would be no web site lol, i've had my 55 plate sti for a couple of week now and allthough it lives in the garage and only gets used at the weekend i have had chance to push it some wot and i have to say i'm struggling to get this thing to understeer in the reall world, i'm talking about fast sweeping 4th 5th gear bends and tight 2nd gear bends keeping constant power, just on the throttle balanced so to speak, this is with the dccd on auto, on open diff it feels more like the rear wheel drive cars i'm used to . Have they dialed out some of the understeer on the later cars that i read so much about on hear or am i gonna get abuse about not trying hard enough . One thing that ****** me off though is the short ratio box, its to short to hold a gear through a fast bend meaning it revs out bang on the apex, i'm used to box's with longer legs and 1st and 2nd on this one are a waste of time. Did i mention i love this car though .

lol i have that same gear problem through corners but if u lift off to change mid corner with diff open the dccd gives u a brown pant moment lol
Old 04 May 2009, 06:36 AM
Bikebloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hello mate. I have an 02 STI uk mod no under steer probs. It was mainly the WRX that suffered the most. Is your car an import as they have shorter gearing? They have a good amount of torque so short shifting is an option.The good new's is very cheap to extract more power. Enjoy the car Mark.
Old 04 May 2009, 07:28 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

You wont get understeer on 4th-5th gear corners as the speed you would need to be going some on a public road to get that. I would guess about 120mph+

As for the 2nd gear corners you are not pushing it hard enough

Try taking the car on a track day, that way you can learn the limits safely.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:16 PM
mak24seven
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply's guys, i guess were on the realm of time and place hear, if your feeling understeer in these cars on the road its maybe a time to start counting your points up regarding the short ratio's on the box, i think when i get it tweaked it may help my style a little, i'm finding full punch from 4k and out of steam by 6.5k at the mo (sti ppp uk) witch is a very short window of power.
Old 04 May 2009, 08:26 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply's guys, i guess were on the realm of time and place hear, if your feeling understeer in these cars on the road its maybe a time to start counting your points up regarding the short ratio's on the box, i think when i get it tweaked it may help my style a little, i'm finding full punch from 4k and out of steam by 6.5k at the mo (sti ppp uk) witch is a very short window of power.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are about to be stung by the tuning bug

Bigger turbo and remap is needed me thinks
Old 04 May 2009, 09:34 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you need to spend a few quid on handling mods tbh ALK/Front Topmounts, maybe a rear arb to help,
Or you could try a good 4 wheel alignment first.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:19 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm finding your initial post rather confusing. Are you complaining that you can not get the car to understeer, as though understeer is some kind of handling nirvana?
Old 04 May 2009, 10:26 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
I'm finding your initial post rather confusing. Are you complaining that you can not get the car to understeer, as though understeer is some kind of handling nirvana?
Did you mean oversteer John?

There's no such thing as a bad car, only a bad driver. You're new to the car, might be worth getting some additional driver training... I spent a day with Andy Walsh showing me how to get the best out of the Impreza.

Last edited by Mark1983; 04 May 2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:28 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

no, I'm asking the thread starter what he means, as the title of the thread and the subsequent text makes no sense.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:34 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

no, I'm asking the thread starter what he means, as the title of the thread and the subsequent text makes no sense.
I just re-read the OP's initial post now and I'm confused too.

Like any car, if you go into a corner too hot, the Impreza will understeer like any car. Voila, the understeer you're looking for
Old 04 May 2009, 10:41 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Could it be he means alot of people talk about it under steering but his doesn't?
I know classics have the whole bump steer thing going on... This was eliminated in new build cars.

Or maybe he does mean oversteer in which case - your not pushing it hard enough!
Old 04 May 2009, 10:50 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

oversteer doesn't mean you aren't pushing hard enough.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris.B
Could it be he means alot of people talk about it under steering but his doesn't?
I know classics have the whole bump steer thing going on... This was eliminated in new build cars.

Or maybe he does mean oversteer in which case - your not pushing it hard enough!
That's what I'm starting to think with the mention of DCCD.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:56 PM
mak24seven
Scooby Regular

Actually i've just re read my post and without hindsight it doesnt make sence lol. Ok, after reading through the search engine i've come across so many threads talking about understeer on these cars that before i bought mine i really was expecting a bit of a pig as far as understeer was concerned, but on purchase and sticking a few miles on the old gal i have been pleasantly suprised at how bloody well the thing goes around corners under power .
Old 04 May 2009, 11:04 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

I was right then

Understeer was more or less eliminated of newer cars due to a revised steering rack IIRC
Old 04 May 2009, 11:05 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The MY05 Auto DCCD has the nicest balance of all the auto setups, having the 65R/35F torque split and the addition of the yaw sensor and steering wheel position sensor with the best front and rear diff combination IMHO.
Old 04 May 2009, 11:10 PM
JB1
Scooby Regular

What I found when I bought mine was that it seemed to handle pretty well. Or so I thought. As the first week went by and I pushed harder I found the understeer. Then the first time on the track I realised how bad the handling and brakes were when pushed. It then became something of a mission to eliminate as prefer neutral handling. I finaly got there and the current car is biased towards a touch of oversteer. But in the damp, or wet if you are just too fast on entry it understeers. But, having said that, you can add a some power and bring it all back in line.

Not something to be done in anything over 3rd gear on the road though these days in mine, you are just going way to fast!
Old 04 May 2009, 11:14 PM
mak24seven
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, next time before engulfing my self in the search engine i'll try and get things year related
Old 04 May 2009, 11:18 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

What I think some people are missing is, it doesn't matter how good your setup is if you throw it in to a corner too hard it's going to understeer no matter what.
Road conditions and setup are key factors but you need to know your car and how it behaves when pushed - are you taking skill in to account?

JB1 you are right mate, take it to the track and you get disappointed with your car... Been there done that.
Old 04 May 2009, 11:19 PM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, next time before engulfing my self in the search engine i'll try and get things year related
It's no problem mate, like they say; You learn something new everyday
And if nobody ever asks there will be nothing to search
Old 04 May 2009, 11:26 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Mines ace when pushed hard off the public road. They vary a lot depending on spec and MY, some need more mods than others to become a balanced chassis. You'll be going rather quickly if you have it setup properly and know how to drive it.