BBC Hardcash - Complaint Upheld

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2001, 12:14 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent!

I must admit, I didn't think the BBC would take this complaint seriously and I expected some sort of brush-off reply.

It's good to see I was wrong and it will be interesting to see what sort of "further action" is taken.

Mind you, for those owners who's car values have dropped and for those legitimate traders who have lost business as a result of the programme, it's difficult to see how the situation can be improved now that the damage is done.

Good job though - well done to all those concerned!

Rich
Old 03 February 2001, 10:46 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've finally received a reply from the BBC about the Hardcash programme on Grey imports, it reads:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>From: Fraser STEELE - Head of Programme Complaints</B>

Dear Mr. H

Further to Dawn Varney's letter of 27 Novever, I am writing to let you know that we have seen a recording of this programe and taken up with the Series Producer, Gillian Bancroft, the points you raised.

<B>Hard Cash</B> set out to give viewers an insight into the pitfalls of buying "grey" car imports. I think it was reasonable to include a conribution from the police, as the question of legality is relevant and I understand Scotland Yard, as an independant authority, warns the public about the risks associated generally with grey imports. And while I take your point about the SVA test, Ms Bancroft has told us this is only compulsory for commercially-bought cars or privately-bought vehicles less than three years old. Unscrupulous dealers get round this by bringing in older cars as private individuals. Also, the test itself is limited in scope. The cars performance in crash and security tests is not checked and there is no way of knowing if it has been "clocked", if it has been stolen or is wanted by a finance company. "What Car" magazine says that, regardless of the SVA test, consumers should still be wary.

However, there is a difference between urging caution over questions of legality and safety and giving the impression that all grey imports are illegal and potentially unsafe, which is what I beieve the programme did (though I think it did so inadvertantly). Other viewers also raised concerns simialr to yours, and <B>Hard Cash</B> returned to the issue a fortnight later, pointing out that there were many legitimate companies involved in buying cars outside the UK, that several owners had told the programme they had had no problems with "grey" imports, and that the priority for potential purchasers of such cars was to ensure they complied with UK regulations regarding legality and safety - in other words, that such cars could be legal and safe. I think this went some way to addressing your concerns in the areas. The fact remains, however, that the original item was misleading in these respects, and I am upholding these aspects of your complaint.

I am also concerned about Quentin Willson's contribution, though I should explin that conflict of interest as such is not an issue for my Unit; we look at the content of what is broadcasts, and whether it is justifiable in its own terms irrispective of any personal interests the contributors to programmes may have. The question we asked about Mr Willson therefore, was whether he said much the same thing as any more clearly independent expert maight say. Having talked to some of the experts, we think not. He was very definite that "grey" imports were not a good buy, whereas others have told us that they may have been a good buy, although the buyer must excercise caution. So I am upholding your complaint in this respect too.

You may wish to know that a summary of your complaint and my finding will be published in a forthcoming edition of the Governors' Programme Complaints Bulletin. This will also contain details of further action taken by senior management, and I shall ensure you are sent a copy. meanwhile, I am grateful to you for bringing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Fraser Steel
Head of Programme Complaints
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As soon as I get this bulletin he mentions I'll post the details of the "further action" they are going to take.

[This message has been edited by Stuart H (edited 03 February 2001).]
Old 03 February 2001, 10:51 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Result !!!!

Well done.

Cheers

Ian
Old 03 February 2001, 11:01 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Excellent, a result,
Old 03 February 2001, 11:04 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Well done indeed.

It is also nice to see that Mr. Steele really looked into the issue. I would not have expected such a to-the-point reply.

Excellent.
Old 03 February 2001, 11:07 AM
Andy CNW
Scooby Newbie

Brilliant !! Well done and thank you
Old 03 February 2001, 11:55 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well done Great result.

Chris
Old 03 February 2001, 02:09 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well done guys from a prefectly legal, SVA-ed and undersealed "grey" impreza owner

cheers

chrisp
Old 03 February 2001, 04:30 PM
David L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well done

David L
Old 03 February 2001, 05:33 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

nicely done .....from a decent Sti V5 import.
Old 03 February 2001, 09:28 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Nice one! Didn't think they would listen

Charlie H - WRX owner
Old 03 February 2001, 10:15 PM
ChrisB

Thumbs up

Good stuff Stuart.

Goes to show that righting a formal letter does get things done.

Chris.
Old 03 February 2001, 11:59 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Excellent Work Stuart!
Old 04 February 2001, 04:30 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Angry

Stuart,

What a result U know this I had 2 correct a supplier 2day on his wording "oh, it`s a grey import" I replied "no it`s red actually" He continued "no, I mean it`s imported?" (duh) the reply to which was " I didn`t know they made Subaru`s in the UK, but yes it`s an import like the other 80% of cars in this country."

He got the message Who`s the muppet that started this "grey import" thing anyway?
Don`t they know how much the UK car buyer is ripped off? Or did they find out how much they`d been overcharged the last time they bought a car an other than look like a t1t
started this grey import syndrom? I`ve only ever seen 1 "grey" import an that was a GT-R
tell me what u can buy in the UK that even gets a lookin on it? Other than a Scoob

Right thats me off my soapbox 4 now

Pete
Old 04 February 2001, 09:15 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well Done, a thoroughly surprising result
Old 04 February 2001, 10:07 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

.... excellent result Mr H, reminds me of trying to get insurance for my UK MY97 Wagon a couple of months ago... rang round a few places naff quotes then tried a "well known" company to be told *quote* "cant insure it mate its an import"..... no it isnt its a UK car I replied....."no mate its a Subaru, they're all imports"..... may I speak to your supervisor please?......"sorry mate He'll just tell you the same its from Japan therefore an import"........ my reply was "well you've just lost 2 grands worth of business...muppet" and hung up
Number 1 Dont call me mate on the phone
Number 2 Get a supervisor if I ask for one
Number 3 Learn car history and the full facts

Spleen vented I'm off for a pint...... **** its only 10am....

Old 04 February 2001, 10:52 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Well done Stuart!

Now i know it MAY be safe to drive i'll get it out of the garage again!

Russ (Life threatening Sti)

Old 04 February 2001, 01:18 PM
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Talking

Weyhey...
I can stop worrying about the STi import that I have just got.