Sponsored by:

WTB Course - So, hows it work then ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2001, 01:17 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I've heard the term WTB course banded around a lot recently. What exactly does it entail

I've done a rally day, skid pan, defensive driving course, track day (track cars) and raced Karts...

But never done a WTB (Wetter The Better?!).

1). Is this training on how to drive in poor conditions. i.e. wet ?

2). Do you use your own car, or a track car ?

3). Where can I do this course ? (Live in Surrey).

4). Was it beneficial ?

Any help/advice welcome.

Sonic
Old 31 January 2001, 01:21 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

1st attempt to attend cancelled because of bad weather. re-booking to go soon. it is in your own car and I'm doing it purely for that reason. You learn how your car behaves and how to correct it. It is based at MIRA which is just past Nuneaton off the A5.

Hope this helps

Tim
Old 31 January 2001, 03:54 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I was booked on the same day as Tim - will re-schedule in the spring/summer.

Some more answers to your questions: (attempted answers anyway! )

1. The wet conditions at MIRA are specifically to allow you to explore the "on the limit/beyond the limit" handling at relatively low and safe speeds.

2. Yes, you use your own car.

3. At MIRA, near Nuneaton. (I think there's a MIRA in Korea as well, but I don't think Don Palmer runs the WTB course there. )

4. Don't know yet - but I'm convinced it will be of great benefit!

Rich

Old 31 January 2001, 04:08 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I'm confused - How does a 'Wetter the Better' course get rained off ???
Old 31 January 2001, 04:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Tim

Wetter the better cancelled 'cause of bad weather hehe

Try The Icier The Nicier - only run during the worst winter months!

Paul
Old 31 January 2001, 04:59 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Frost -> frozen water in system -> can't turn sprinklers on -> not allowed on track.

The rules at MIRA are pretty stiff as well i.e. no spectators, no photography, no group sessions (oo-er!) etc.
(There are reasons for these rules, but it spoils the fun a bit for a proper Scooby 'meet')

Rich
Old 31 January 2001, 05:20 PM
Don Palmer
Scooby Regular

WTB was originally designed to help people drive on the limit of what is possible. It certainly was a bit over the top in the early days in terms of risk and this has been addressed several times during the last two years.
The popularity of the event hinged on the social side which is now less fun but the effectiveness of hte training is much better because we have more time to coach poeple.
Old 31 January 2001, 05:20 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

1). Is this training on how to drive in poor conditions. i.e. wet ?

Duh! Yes, on the MIRA wet handling circuit, which consists of a large, split-surface roundabout, a smaller "arc" of the same materials and a mini handling track. The roundabout & arc have pebbles (slippy) and tiles (v. slippy) surfaces, the track is tarmac (quite slippy).

The wet bit comes from the sprinklers around the circuit that spray water continuously to keep away the grip. No grip equals lots of fun at low speeds and no tyre wear.

2). Do you use your own car, or a track car ?

Your own car, hence you get to find out its peculiarities.

3). Where can I do this course ? (Live in Surrey).

MIRA is off the A5 in Nuneaton, in the Midlands.

4). Was it beneficial ?

Very. Opened up my eyes to how much information is available at your fingertips when driving. Also the opportunity to practice getting your car sideways and controlling it while not succumbing to lift-off oversteer is invaluable.
Old 31 January 2001, 05:22 PM
Don Palmer
Scooby Regular

WTB was originally designed to help people drive on the limit of what is possible. It certainly was a bit over the top in the early days in terms of risk and this has been addressed several times during the last two years.
The popularity of the event hinged on the social side which is now less fun but the effectiveness of the training is much better because we have more time to coach people.
Old 31 January 2001, 06:25 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

DavidRB

Sonic Boom's first question was:
<B>"Is this training on how to drive in poor conditions. i.e. wet?"</B>

The question could be interpreted in two ways:
<B>a.</B> "Do I learn how to drive better when I'm faced with poor road conditions? (such as rain)"
<B>b.</B> "Is the training done on a wet surface?"

I suspect he meant <B>a.</B>.

Or maybe I'm a muppet.

<I>Or both...</I>
Old 31 January 2001, 07:28 PM
Mike@PD
Scooby Regular

I havn't had the benefit of Dons instruction but have driven at Mira a number of times. Its not a case of I've done one course and I've done them all but one of learning, learning more and even more after that. Ask Jonfelstead, you never stop learning.

The concentric circles at Mira are great and with all the experience I have behind me (see Don for references!) I still learned and loved the experience. To educate your psychomotor system, you need to experience and perform a particular exercise so that your reactions become 'hard wired' and therefore automatic.

Please don't compare courses, experience them and use each one to reinforce what you have already learned before. If you get to the point were you know everything you can come and work for me, I'd love to have you on my team !!!

Belive me that its far better to experience the limits in a safe environment such as the one provided by Don than at the local sweeping 90 left adjacent to a ditch!

I have a saying which is "When Isaac Newton's driving the car, your in the sh*t" He knew nothing about driving in the 1600's and still knows sod all after 350 years. This is because despite knowing all about apples, centripedal forces and the slingshot theory, he never drove a bloody car. He must have been clever though because he could tell us exactly how we would crash 240 odd years before the damn things were invented ! Now that's what I call clever....

PS The cost of courses and value for money keeps cropping up. If you think that the TWB courses are expensive, go and ask Mr Mira if you can rent the place for the day. When you get back on your feet you will know why Don drives a diesel Peugeot! It is the same with me. I bought a 21k car and a 14k car, supply tyres, ins, a hotel conference suite, hotel lunches, fuel, brakes and maintenance, insturctors, cones, computers, powerpoint projectors,stationary,etc. Get out your calculator, do the sums and see how much value for money you really get! I bet a pound to a penny that you wouldn't be queuing up to invest in the business..... Thats forgeting the huge amount of education, skill and expertise you have on tap.

Without sounding big headed, the subscribers to this site have direct access to two acknowledged and credible legal expert witnesses who are held in very high regard both at national and international level. Not quite old Isaac I must agree but none the less, reasonably knowledgable. If your smart, you will screw every bit of info out of us you can along with such people as Jonfelstead. You always have the choice to ignor it and do your own thing. The recent tyre pressure debate being such an example of healthy debate. Remember, we've spent years and thousands of pounds to be in this position and you can access all we know for the bargain price of nothing.

Regards, Mike@PD

Old 01 February 2001, 12:34 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Heheheh
Old 01 February 2001, 11:27 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RichS:
<B>DavidRB

Sonic Boom's first question was:
"Is this training on how to drive in poor conditions. i.e. wet?"</B>

The question could be interpreted in two ways: &lt;snip&gt;
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarcastic? Moi? Guilty as charged M'lud.
Old 01 February 2001, 01:42 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Tim, Rich, cheers for the info and answers.

Thanks Don and Mike for all the information and discussion.

Don - I got the mails thanks. Prices look very worthwhile. Will be looking to book a course shortly.

DavidRB - ok,ok, the idea was option (a). hehe

Thanks everyone for feedback.

Sonic