Hi - How's the new impreza ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2008, 08:31 PM
graeme.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi - How's the new impreza ??

hello all,

After selling my 53reg Impreza Sti PPP a couple of years ago I haven't been on the site When I see one I still smile and think what could have been

I saw a new shape STi the other day and the shape is finally growing on me.

Just to save me trawling through lots of threads to find out, I thought I'd just ask:

What do you all think of the new shape Impreza ??

Performance ?
Handling ?
Style ?
Burble ?
Reliability ?
Anything else ?

Cheers,
Graeme.
Old 16 December 2008, 08:57 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I test drove one, and it didn't push any of my buttons.

Too grown up.
Too civilised.
Too ugly (sorry !)
Too soggy.
Too quiet.
Too reliable - I doubt it !
Too much - I'm very poor !
Nice, but not special enough to send me to the TSB cap in hand.

dunx

P.S. 340 bhp bug-eye STI with a sprinkling of goodies....
Old 16 December 2008, 09:05 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

got one in white.

burble it now has, it didnt before
style, like it allot not everyone has them
no reliability issues yet 9000 miles on the clock
plenty of toys to play with
audio system million miles better than previous years
handling, seems to grip very very well but does roll a little but only goes so far
performance cant complain lol 380bhp 403ft/lbs

buy one lol
Old 16 December 2008, 09:18 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

I've had mine for about 8 months and just had its first 10K service. Only had a WRX PPP (02) to compare it to from Subaru but Evo 8, Civic Type R, Cayman S to name a few from other mftrs.

I like the rareness on the roads, makes it feel a little more special than it is because you see so few, I love the hunkered down look and the bulging bodywork. Inside is ok, much more space than my bugeye (and I'm a lardy ****), the seats although nicely sized for my backside do lack a little support especially on hard driving (mine are std seats not the Recaro's).

Getting 25.9 mpg overall from new with probably 70% motorway, can get upto 30 if conditions are right and I drive carefullly but pretty rare. Performance is getting better now its bedding in and the adjustability of the diff, si-drive and stability programmes make it quite entertaining even if it does roll a bit, main issue is light feel to the steering, I get used to it and then only notive after driving someone else car.

I went for the subwoofer, dealer fit, and that turned the stock stereo in something I find acceptable sounding although I'm no audio boffin.

Reliability has been good, just a freak 3 day period when the fuel guage didn't read properly, but that was about 6000 miles ago and been perfect since (touch wood).

One issue, paint. It is super thin on my WR Blue, getting quite a few chips which really show how little top coat is on, the chips away chap could~/t beliew it. I reckon it must be a weight saving measure.... if only!

I reckon they should be pretty cheap to pick up at the moment, don't think many are getting sold in the current climate. Oh and its too quiet, great for motorway (apart from tyre noise, I have 18"s fitted, which might influence my thoughts on handling too??) but missing the characterful note from the boxer, I'll be aiming for a new stainless system soon and a remap to further boost performance.
Old 16 December 2008, 09:27 PM
rev.chris
Scooby Regular

i dont like the look of them tbo, think they blend in to much with a lot of hatch's, its really lost something, its not the poster pic on the wall when u was a kid kinda car, if u know what i mean,

as for power handeling etc cant comment as i not driven one,

Last edited by rev.chris; 16 December 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 16 December 2008, 10:38 PM
Paul666
Scooby Regular

Graeme.

Performance = smooth, feels slower but isn't.
Handling = feels like you're about to leave the road until it grips and goes, needs Caster.
Style = I like it. It's down you you.
Burble = MIA, nothing at all.
Reliability = After 6 moths and 3700 miles cracked a piston and had the short motor replaced, it's down to the hard rev limiter.
Anything else = If you get one make sure the rev limiter feels soft and not like you've just hit a brickwall in the road.

Thanks,
Paul.
Old 16 December 2008, 10:54 PM
Scoobyhatch
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Performance ? - Sport plus mode is tops 300bhp is enough for our roads. Sport mode is pointless IMHO Don’t use variable diff settings just leave it in auto...so not sure if it really makes a difference on the road

Handling ? Family prefer the slightly softer ride to the STi8 - on the track I loved it! Kept up with most of the Lotus boys

Style ? Compared to Std WRX, STi looks like its been at the steroids. Personally I like it, but then I bought a bug eye and thought that was cool. Ya pays ya money......

Burble ? Miss the old PPP back box burble. Will upgrade soon.

Reliability ? No problems too date.

Anything else ? Hate the fooking seat belt buzzy thingy - nanny state me thinks, Stock stereo is rubbish n typical for Subaru! Needs 18" rims, plastic door trims are nasty and easy to scratch, ventilation is off, hot or damn hot, lower mesh grill needed to protect the radiator - currently there is a gaping hole, intercooler fins already misshapen after only 1000 miles - not sure if they have made this core more fragile but non of my other cars had this issue? Apart from this no probs, n lots of opportunity to buy goodies
Jon
Old 17 December 2008, 12:39 PM
John Hughes
Scooby Regular

Default New STi

Had the new STi since 1st March.
I'm not the person to comment on how it compares to previous Scoobies as this is my first. I've been driving Hot Hatches for the last too many years to mention. But here's my thoughts and comparisons anyway. My most recent two cars were a Toyota Corolla VVTi T Sport and a Ford Focus ST2. Both were purchased brand new and kept for a bit less than 2 years each.

Performance – I think it's amazing. 300BHP and very smooth with it. Averaging 25 MPG (Focus ST was 19)

Handling – God only knows what some people expect, do you have to feel pain every time you take a journey? I think it handles exceptionally well, admittedly compared to my previous cars and also any test drives before buying the STi. A definite winner for me and my family.

Style – You either like it or you don't, most do. Haven't met anyone other than Scooby owners who don't like it. Still causes strangers to come over for a look on an almost daily basis.

Burble – Wouldn't have bought it, if it had one. I like my neighbours.

Reliability – Petrol gauge never worked from day one. Replaced sensor in petrol tank. No other problems at all. I've had no problems with the paint as some drivers are reporting.

Anything else – I love driving this car. A great family car when required, and you can have some serious fun when they are not around.
Old 17 December 2008, 12:50 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't driven the STI but I drove a non turbo version as a courtesy car when my WRX was in for a service.

- Performance - not fair to comment in a non turbo but fuel economy was awful
- Handling - I actually thought grip levels were fantastic but there was far too much body roll - if the STI is anything like this I wouldn't consider anything except one with lowering springs and an uprated rear ARB.
- Style - absolutely hideous. It looks like a Proton - the STI isn't better I'm afraid, the rear lights are about 10 years out of date and it just looks like a wedge - too many curves where there should be straight lines. It just doesn't seem to suit the hatchback shape.
- Burble - what burble?
- Reliability - No problems.
- Anything else? - Stereo was good as stated by another user. Interior was alright although I thought the seats were of a lower quality fabric than mine, and same for the dashboard - they've opted for cheaper materials on this one.

Unless you are sold on the looks, I'd be tempted to save yourself some money and buy a Hawkeye STI - you'll probably get much more for your money.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 17 December 2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 18 December 2008, 12:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ive recently been looking at a new car and test drove the STI a few weeks ago.

- Performance - hard to comment as been driving a 1.6 astra for the last 4 years so its miles faster.
- Handling - Grip seemed good and ride was very comfortable on the 17's much more so than the Civic Type R I also tried
- Style - You either love it or hate it although I would say it looks a lot better in the flesh. Not sure on the WRX but the extra bits on the WRX-S and STI make it look a lot better imho. STI in white looks loverly
- Burble - none really. But easily changed if required
- Reliability - Cant comment
- Insurance - for me the MY08 STI comes up as £150-£200 cheaper than an equivalent STI '07 saloon. So seems the change in shape etc has helped here.
- Anything else? - Stereo was ok - mp3 jack in armrest is a good to have. Economy was good. Did quite a bit of WOT driving and trip computer (reset when we filled up) showed average of 26. Not sure how accurate trip computers are but all I had to go on. Oh yes the boot is small compared to other hatchbacks but obviously a lot better than previous saloons.

Overall I am definetly interested. After owning a classic before Id have to go the WRX-S (basically PPP'd with bigger wheels) or STI this time.

Cheers
Simon