Sponsored by:

Have you ever owned an EVO?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2008, 11:27 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever owned an EVO?

Im now on my 4th Scooby and really fancy a change and with that change being crossing to the dark side for an EVO 6.
My present Scoob is a Version 3 STI RA running 340bhp which is a great car and seriously quick but something keeps getting at me to try an EVO. Ive read all the stories about running costs etc but that doesnt worry me im just looking for the low down from people who have owned both a Scoob and an Evo.

I have always loved the look of the "6" they look really aggressive but is the car as complete as it looks.

Jay.
Old 15 December 2008, 11:37 PM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

evo v bud, view profile.......awesome car!
Old 16 December 2008, 12:10 AM
escott
Scooby Regular

It's worth dropping jollygreenmonster an email - he's just gone from a high power classic to an Evo 6.
Old 16 December 2008, 01:42 AM
brocksta
Scooby Regular

yes very nice too i sore it on wednesday i do like evos but loving the 333 bhp he gave me up the monster top bloke
Old 16 December 2008, 07:02 AM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

sold my evo 6 this year now on my third scooby. for handeling the evo 6 was much better. but all round i prefer the scooby. the sound of the flat four,looks and the way it drives.

paul g
Old 16 December 2008, 10:32 AM
DxbLee
Scooby Newbie

i used to own a evo 6 tm 2.2 was a great car i moved on to a 2003 wrx and fell in love with subaru! To me i feel more one with the car i prefer the purr you get from the scooby. The interior finishing is a much better quality too.
But i would never deprive anyone from owning a evo 6 they are a lot of fun but subaru is much more of a pleasure to drive and own. :-)
Old 16 December 2008, 10:57 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Evo 6 GSR

Originally Posted by jayallen
Im now on my 4th Scooby and really fancy a change and with that change being crossing to the dark side for an EVO 6.
My present Scoob is a Version 3 STI RA running 340bhp which is a great car and seriously quick but something keeps getting at me to try an EVO. Ive read all the stories about running costs etc but that doesnt worry me im just looking for the low down from people who have owned both a Scoob and an Evo.

I have always loved the look of the "6" they look really aggressive but is the car as complete as it looks.

Jay.
Jay

I was in a similar position to you - I owned an Evo 6 GSR in 2004, and it was a superb car, one of the best A to B driver's cars available***.

I used the Evo as a day to day car, and cost of filling it (50 mile commute) was becoming "expensive".

***However, the car suffered from numerous and expensive reliability issues.

Delay in replacement parts from the UK dealer was also a problem - waited 4 weeks for AYC control unit.

When I looked for a replacement of the Evo, the recommendation was to go for a GC8 Impreza (parts costs and general servicing costs a large factor).

PM me if you want more detailed information.

PS Owned 5 GC8 Imprezas and 1 Evo - something about the flat four rumble is addictive.

Richard

Last edited by RESSE; 16 December 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 16 December 2008, 12:47 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

In the past couple of weeks driven and evo 6 now running around 360bhp and a evo 7 running 385/400 on a mr 10.5t exhaust housing and uprated cams and the first I will say is if I had never driven and Impreza I would love the cars.

The evos are very very responsive and pull very well from lowdown but seem to tail off after about 5500rpm. The turn in is pin sharp lot sharper than an Impreza but the turning circle is crap due to the quick rack.

I never understood how you could feel disconnected from a car when people mentioned evos but now I get it and it hard to put into words until you drive one after an Impreza.

Personally I would stick to an Impreza as it just has so much character and finally the evo sounds no different to a glanza turbo, had both pull up outside my house lol

Banny
Old 16 December 2008, 12:57 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

The 7's onwards are good looking cars (the 5's are no bad) but the one serious thing the evo has going for it over the scoob is that it doesnt have the chav/ned stigma attached to it, which is a pretty huge plus point
Old 16 December 2008, 02:44 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I,ve had 3 Evos a Tommi Mak in Red with only 11k miles, had Autronic etc fitted to the car, it was producing 363bhp/345ft/lb, it drove fantastic, handled superb but imo didn,t have the raw passion my V3 STI gives me.

My last Evo i spent a ŁŁŁŁŁŁŁŁŁŁ on it, had it fully forged by M.A.DEVELOPMENTS, Autronic again, FP Green, AP 6 pots the whole shabazz, this was a 8 MR by the way and we had that dyno,d @ 469bhp/452ft/lb and i have to say it was the BEST car i,ve owned, the only reason i sold was cus of a family illness and i needed to raise some quick cash.

The later cars, i.e 8s 9s are superb, the handling etc is very good but saying that not as good as my Spec C WAS, best thing to do fella is test drive one, see what budget you have and go from there, the 6 is getting old now and there,s alot of tired cars out-there, check the AYC etc is all ok, serviced regualer etc etc..

PS, My V3 comes VERY close though to my MR for GRINABILITY.....

Hope this hepls...

Last edited by Pete; 16 December 2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 16 December 2008, 04:44 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossco_
The 7's onwards are good looking cars (the 5's are no bad) but the one serious thing the evo has going for it over the scoob is that it doesnt have the chav/ned stigma attached to it, which is a pretty huge plus point
Really? I'd say they were pretty much as bad.
Old 16 December 2008, 05:07 PM
DANI
Scooby Newbie

I had an evo 6 untill recently, i now have a uk 2000 turbo. The diffrence ive found between the 2 is that the scooby welcomes me but the evo didnt. if that makes sense lol,
Old 16 December 2008, 05:15 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys thats given me food for thought,decisions decisions....Its either buy an EV0 6 or take the RA to the next level. ...I may pop over to MLR and see if someone wants to lend me one for a week..
Old 16 December 2008, 05:21 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Might be worth looking for a RS model over a GSR, especially if you're used to the RA
Old 16 December 2008, 05:32 PM
Ibiza_Cupra
Scooby Regular

yeah i brought an evo 7 lasted 2 weeks then got stolen ! !

had a classic scooby before that, and now got a Version 8 STI !! i would have the subaru any day over the evo much better drive, but as always the evo did handle that little bit better!
Old 16 December 2008, 06:39 PM
DCR59
Scooby Regular

Yes, owned an EVO 6 GSR for a year.
NEVER again.
Great to drive but just so many problems with it, and it was only 1 year old with average miles too.

More problems in that 1 year than I've had with 12 years of Subaru ownership.
Old 16 December 2008, 07:02 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Might be worth looking for a RS model over a GSR, especially if you're used to the RA

Agreed.........Better diff with the RS version too........
Old 16 December 2008, 07:11 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I had the option of either buying an EVO3 or my Classic Impreza. The Impreza just pulled me more, I just seem to find they have more character, more appeal...to use a Clarksonism, more "soul" than an EVO.

I'm not knocking the EVOs, I've never had the opportunity to drive one other than that EVO3 which I test drove, I know that they do have their advantages over Imprezas but I'm glad I chose the Impreza, I love it.
Old 16 December 2008, 07:14 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

This looks a nice car....

Evo 6 Rsx - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum
Old 16 December 2008, 07:35 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

imho the early evos are the best, I own an 400bhp evo 2 (as well as a newage Sti) and for an out and out laugh the evo wins every time. probably not what you want to hear but just my 2pence
Old 16 December 2008, 07:58 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

I used to have a 6 it 'was' the best handling car out of the box by a long shot over all the imprezas that I had before it going back from the Blobeye STI shape.

Running costs were just silly. 120miles out of a tank (although i had a big spec BHP car) and then the diff services... god help you if the pump packs in. An RS would certainly be the model of choice if I were ever to visit that side again. - not likely though.

Might be out of your budget but a jap spec 2003 STI reminds me allot of the pin sharp handling that the Evo had. (that's my current car) You loose the Scooby burble but you gain a fantastic car with a very unique sound it is now the best handling car i've had.

Last edited by rob2006; 17 December 2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 16 December 2008, 08:13 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Had a couple of scoobs and an evo, got nothing at the moment but if i could afford to spend some money it would definatly be another evo. miss it more than both my scoobs put together.
Old 16 December 2008, 08:17 PM
pitcha44
Scooby Regular

find a good RS no ayc to think about.
i had a 6 and loved every minute of it always had a smile when i looked at it
had it 2 years then had to sell as we had a little un and need some spare cash.
in that time the only thing i had to buy was a battery which went **** up in winter and a clutch as it was on original clutch and i was running around 330bhp. as for some saying they get 120 miles or so out of a tank sorry thats a bit b*ll*cks they were flooring it every were i used it every day and was doin around 250+to a tank you will see less when having a spirited drive tho.
get over to the mlr and have a good look around.

oh yeah you do loose the burble on the evo tho but other things make up for it
Old 17 December 2008, 01:30 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by escott
It's worth dropping jollygreenmonster an email - he's just gone from a high power classic to an Evo 6.
I have actually cheated slightly and kept the high power classic as well

agree with Banny and what most have said.. except the looks.. the 6 looks the best imho..

easier to mod.. decat, exhaust, filter, boost controller and remap and mine make 354bhp.. handling is very good, brakes are very good. . it is perfect for what I need at the moment.. goes quick enough and comfortable.. but it just lacks something that makes me feel like I will keep it for a long while.. whether I have just owned too many Subarus I am not sure..

Simon
Old 17 December 2008, 01:34 AM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

5 was my fave
Old 17 December 2008, 02:45 AM
asmodeos
Scooby Newbie

I actually rally raced both.

An EVO VI in southamerica in a Rally called "Caminos del Inca" in Perú. You cross a region at 12,000 ft.

And also raced an WRX in Ecuador in "Vuelta a la Republica".

Either way, I would never change my Subaru...

Old 17 December 2008, 03:41 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Evo's are characterless cars, they lack everything that the Subaru has.... I'm on my thrid scoob now and had an Evo7 inbetween and I have to say they are boring as F%^&

They are rapid cars, easily tuned up, strong engines but the AYC really does take away fromt the driving fun and the AYC is the weakest part of the car for sure!!

My P1 used to p155 all over my mates Tommi Mak.

If you enjoy driving a car stick with an Impreza, if you want a car that looks nice and drives with no real driver input get an Evo.

Just my opinion
Old 17 December 2008, 03:53 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Ive had my 7rs2 for about 5 months after having three subarus before. The only reason i would come back is 'the noise'. Performance/handling/rarity/reliability/ is the reason i wont. Although im allways tempted by a type r/p1, lol.... Just my opinion. Love them both though, great cars.

Dan
Old 17 December 2008, 03:55 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

Id be interested to know what the p1 is running to '****' all over you mates tommi. I would say with equal drivers it would be close???

Dan
Old 17 December 2008, 04:10 PM
Timur 008
Scooby Regular

I had a Tommi Mak edi ie. Evo 6.5 they called them as they we're better then the normal 6's with stronger turbo, better brakes etc.. & was tuned up with straight through zorst, tubulor manifold, hks goodies etc.. but just didn't cut it for me. Lookes & drive was spot on but somehow the grunt it produced didn't feel manly for me compared to my current STI ver 7 with the help of similar mods to the Evo makes me smile in all departments
Don't get me wrong the Evo is an amazing car but i feel if i was to have both in front of me i would go for the Scooby keys 1st
Only way you will know is to go try one you like out & after sit back into your Scooby then decide... i know after owning both which one i prefer

Quick Reply: Have you ever owned an EVO?