Sponsored by:

Strange thing just happened

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2008, 09:50 AM
chris666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange thing just happened

Just came out of the house ,pushed button on key fob to get into car(freelander workhorse) & nothing
now i only replaced the battery last week so i know it's ok but go back inside
for the other fob, try it, nothing
look to the right next door's doing the same thing(mazda 6)
across the road old boy with a clio having the same problems
then notice a truck 3 doors down delivering sand in bags with an hihab
hihab is controled by remote
went down & asked driver if he's ever had problems with car fobs
" yes all the time ,but iv'e done now you should be ok "
we all tried the cars & bingo
i didn't think a remote would do this ,i know phone masts can
anyone else seen this happen ?
Old 26 September 2008, 10:03 AM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Not exactly the same thing for me, but where I live the cars key fob can be a bit temperamental. It doesn't happen anywhere else, only at my house. I can push the button and nothing, walk up right next to the car and still nothing. But then all of a sudden it will work. New batteries too. I have a week mobile signal at the house too which comes and goes, so I'm assuming thats got something to do with it.
Old 26 September 2008, 10:43 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you proberbly have a radio mast nearby! just touch the remote under your chin and press the buttom and it will be fine. yes i know it sounds stupid but your body will act as a booster antenna and improve your signall
Old 26 September 2008, 10:49 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Yep... radio wave interferance....

I was in Ullapool and the fob stopped working... had to use the key, then cancel the car alarm by turning on the ignition... "great" I though.. batteries flat..I'll get a new one... drove to the next town... all fine and working.... drove back to Ullapool that night (staying there)... and it's back to not working again... must have been something "noisy" in the area..
Old 26 September 2008, 10:49 AM
Dowsie WRX
Scooby Regular

I had a similar experience 3 days after buying my Scoobs. I parked up behind a supermarket to walk round the front to get some cash out......upon returning to the car, i pressed the fob button and the car unlocked....at that moment my phone rang and by the time i'd finished my conversation the immobiliser had cut back in again......as i pressed the fob again....nothing!

To cut a long story short......i had it recovered to Subaru the next day and when the bloke pressed the fob it locked, unlocked, started, switched off - nothing wrong with it!

I was told that something nearby had jammed my fob and had stopped it sending the signal to the car! After paying £350 to have a new alarm system and 2 new fobs programmed.....the bloke told me if I had rolled the car 10m backwards/forwards it would probably have worked
Old 26 September 2008, 10:51 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

I had a slightly similar thing on Tuesday of this week. Needed to get some fuel to creep home before making it to the local shell on wednesday for the one day cheap fuel. I stopped at a texaco where the shop is run by somerfields, i have had issues locking the car there before, so decided to just fill up and leave the car open. I returned to my car, key in, clicked the fob to disarm the immobiliser, but nothing. Sat there playing for a bit but still no joy, i couldnt find my code for the key pad (even when i did i couldnt get it to work). After about 5 mins someone behind offered to help push me away from the pump and commented that others had issues with alarms before. Tried subaru assistance but the one operator must have gone on his break, fortunately i had left the spare key at my parents, got hold of my dad, got him to click the fob down the phone and i was off. Odd, but just need to stay away from that petrol station"
Old 26 September 2008, 11:03 AM
El Cat
Scooby Regular

my brother hadnt long had his scoob and this happened
went to halfords in truro and apparently the radios interfere with the signal for the immobiliser so couldnt disarm it using key fob, had only just got the car so didnt think to check the number for his keypad in the glovebox!! had to wait for 2 hours for his girlfriend to get home!!!!!
Old 26 September 2008, 06:54 PM
Meallbhan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
Yep... radio wave interferance....

I was in Ullapool and the fob stopped working... had to use the key, then cancel the car alarm by turning on the ignition... "great" I though.. batteries flat..I'll get a new one... drove to the next town... all fine and working.... drove back to Ullapool that night (staying there)... and it's back to not working again... must have been something "noisy" in the area..

"Drove to the next town" - What, Inverness??
Old 26 September 2008, 08:10 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

There's a dead spot near where I live, every Scoob I've had won't arm or disarm the alarm with the keyfob when parked in this spot. Move 10 feet away and it's fine. The nearest cell site is a few hundred yards away and about 200 feet up!
Old 26 September 2008, 09:12 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Its the TETRA radio network. Google it!
Old 26 September 2008, 09:26 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone heard of these things interfering with the running of cars, i have a real odd missfire, it'll show at -10 on the gauge but at totally random intervals, she has new coils and pfr7b plugs, new temp sensor, im thinking it's either raido waves playing silly buggers or i may have a dodgy earth somewhere

Last edited by hux309; 26 September 2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 26 September 2008, 09:40 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

More likely to be a dodgy earth. The tetra network wont have the power output to affect the running of a cars electrical system. If it did, it would probably do us some damage as well. Now a Type 101 radar, that can mess with a cars display. I know, it flummoxed me for about 6 months!!
Old 26 September 2008, 09:44 PM
ODSSOCKS41
Scooby Regular

I've had the same thing tonight. pressed key fob and nothing. My garage door(which is electric) wouldnt work either, then all of a sudden it worked after a 10 mins of trying.

One of my neighbours has just put a massive ariel up-dont know why its that big-get in touch with NASA maybe!

Could that be it?
Old 26 September 2008, 09:54 PM
matt6666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
, got hold of my dad, got him to click the fob down the phone and i was off. Odd, but just need to stay away from that petrol station"
You can click the fob down the phone and it works??
Old 26 September 2008, 10:14 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

No it's bollocks !

LOL

DunxC

P.S. Using your remote against the side of your skull does work tho'.
Old 26 September 2008, 11:43 PM
lorrainecallison
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
you proberbly have a radio mast nearby! just touch the remote under your chin and press the buttom and it will be fine. yes i know it sounds stupid but your body will act as a booster antenna and improve your signall
My son does that all the time; touches fob to his head and it works even at great distance away - I just thought he's a strange kid but there's obviously some logic behind it then......