Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof bar kits - different for saloon and wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2008, 04:30 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof bar kits - different for saloon and wagon?

Hi All

I'm going to set about doing up my kitchen and bathroom this summer so will need some roof bars for the Scoob for carrying all the clobber. Might be handy in future for kayaking and bikes also. I've heard Thule do good kit and I've been impressed using their latest 'aero' bars on a relative's Corolla.

I have a classic wagon (without roof rails) and several sites say I need Thule 761 bars, 950 feet and 206 fitting kit. I'm sure these would be fine but look like old style kit, I wonder if the new aero type is better. If you're buying for a classic saloon then it offers the new style aero bars and more modern aerodynamic looking feet too (861 bars, 750 feet, 1122 rapid fitting kit). I'm surprised the mounting points for roof bars on the saloon and wagon are different, might it be that the Thule catalogue just isn't updated for the wagon? My priority is using something that doesn't damage the paint work but it'd be nice to also have the best kit for load capacity, aerodynamics and looks too! Any advice? Or if anyone has some for sale then let me know.
Old 21 July 2008, 04:35 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

I've got the subaru kit for my newage along with a Thule bike carrier.
The Subaru bars are just box section steel and as such do make a lot of noise when you're motoring along.
I'd go for the Thule Aero bars if you can find some to fit. Halfords do a great selection and will even trial fit them if you go to a big enough branch.
Also, the Subaru bars supports just sit on the paintwork inside of the roof gutter so that area needs car to avoid it getting scratched. Might be worth fitting some tape to the area before mounting the bars.
Old 21 July 2008, 08:43 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

I would suggest buy the best you can afford. I bought some cheap make off fleabay, supposed to be brilliant, and were absolute pants. Then bought genuine subaru roof bars and they are spot-on.

I'm gonna sell mine because I now have a saloon, but these only fit wagons with the roof bars fitted.

Best of luck matey.
Old 21 July 2008, 09:50 PM
Barmyclown
Scooby Regular

i got the Subaru bars on my Bug, they are made by a company called Mont Blanc, Who do make roof racks. To stop the paint getting scratched I`ve put insulation tape on the feet of the racks.
Old 21 July 2008, 10:30 PM
superstar1
BANNED

People that insist on piling crap on top of their vehicles always remind me of the Beverley Hill Billies. Saw a car once with a boat strapped to the roof, it was that big i did'nt know if the boat was strapped to the car or if the car was strapped to the boat.
Old 21 July 2008, 10:49 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

If you're interested, I have two standard Thule roof bars with foot packs to fit a classic and two Thule Tour 510 bike carriers for sale in good condition, only been used a couple of times. Lock in place and rock solid whilst in use, highly recommended, no damage to mine..... open to sensible offers, cost over £200 new.
Old 23 July 2008, 04:27 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I still don't know if the kit for a saloon will fit to a wagon but I think it's likely.

Si, I'll have a think about it but I don't need the bike carriers and I'm guessing you want to sell as a set?
Old 24 July 2008, 04:22 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Thanks guys. I still don't know if the kit for a saloon will fit to a wagon but I think it's likely.

Si, I'll have a think about it but I don't need the bike carriers and I'm guessing you want to sell as a set?
No probs, would prefer to sell as a set yes....