Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Criminal Damage or targeted attack, you decide?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2008, 12:52 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Criminal Damage or targeted attack, you decide?

Went out walking the dog this morning and got a phone call about 9:30 off one of my neighbours to tell me my car had been broken into. Someone has smashed the rear and front windscreens. Photos below.

Now I ask is it casual criminal damage or a target attack as to get to where my car is parked you have to walk 100 metres past 20 other houses up a secluded private road past at least 30 other cars.

Mine is the only one which has been damaged and the stones they have used to break my windows are from one of my neighbours walls 80 metres away.

Phoned the police and its classed as vandalism, <cynical mode>So its not reported as a crime no doubt</cynical mode off> They gave me an incident number and will call me back in the next few days with a crime number! :crazy:

I am just waiting to hear back off my insurance if they have the screens in stock and can fix them today, otherwise they'll tow and store it until they can.

I'm annoyed but more annoyed I have to deal with the police and insurance company beaurocracy! :icon_mad: I am also a little bit worried as if it is a target attack then is it going to happen again?

mike

Follow up: no screens in stock, so its been towed to a secure lock up until sorted.
Old 20 July 2008, 12:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! Not good mate

Anything stolen, or any other damage to the car?
Strange in either case really.
Glass being one of the easiest and quickest repairs to a car. You would expect a targetted attack to damage panel and paint, seems to be the norm.

And criminal damage, again seems strange to walk round a car just to do the front and rear, and not bother with the rest.

Either way, the CRN will be all you need for the insurance to replace the windows. Bizzare case either way.

Hope the glass is in stock and repairs underway soon. Got to be grateful for insurance at times.
Old 20 July 2008, 12:58 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

absolute w@ankers! Why do they do it?! I feel for you, I hate it when things like this happen. My old car got keyed all down both sides before: that really annoyed me. If I found out who it was I wouldn't hesitate smashing their face in! Hopefully you will get it sorted sharpish
Old 20 July 2008, 01:10 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

nothing at all taken as you cant get into the car from the back as the dog guard is fixed in place. There is glass everywhere!

Both screens are none stock items, as its an import and has the green tint in both windows so my insurance are sending someone to come and recover and lock up somewhere secure.
Old 20 July 2008, 01:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gutted for you atleast its only the 50-70 quid excess on the windscreen cover, i take it they didnt scratch the paintwork?

Tony
Old 20 July 2008, 01:13 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for you mate
Old 20 July 2008, 01:24 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wan**ers mate, sorry to see that...ide say ude been targeted..like you said if they were just out to cause damage why walk past alot of other cars.
Old 20 July 2008, 01:28 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Doesn't look like a random attack though too many circumstances.
From what you're saying I presume there is only one way in and out..if so that's a bit risky for even a brainless sub-normal.
1 window for theft even they can work that out;the front has sustained a few blows so they didn't care if they got caught or knew they wouldn't..
Upset anybody lately and include neighbours....
Glad it's being sorted for you...
Old 20 July 2008, 01:35 PM
timmy2take
Scooby Regular

Sorry to see that.
Old 20 July 2008, 01:37 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

No, I am a real likable guy. Being a local business man I try and get on with whoever I meet. But you never know these days, I might have overtaken somebody and they've taken umbridge over it.

and all my neighbours are old people! where the youngest on our street by some 20 years.

We'll see if it happens again. If it does then I knowsomebody has an axe to grind. time for some cctv methinks.
Old 20 July 2008, 01:50 PM
simonbb1328
Scooby Regular

doubt it was targeted against you mate, as said above if it was id have thought the panels would have been damaged. Might be car whats been targetted with it being a subaru from jealous *******.
Very suprised police havent been and got scenes of crime to check for fingerprints tho
Old 20 July 2008, 02:46 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Nightmare. I couldn't sleep after that. That's never just a random attack, either pure jealousy or you have an enemy.

Originally Posted by simonbb1328
Very suprised police havent been and got scenes of crime to check for fingerprints tho
Scenes of crime won't attend as fingerprints taken from the outside of a car can't be used as evidence.............think about it.
Old 20 July 2008, 02:54 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

the police came across as being totally uninterested, even informed me I need to speak to my insurance. took my name, address, phone number and told me that some one would call me regarding this.

first question they asked is "is anything missing" er no. "okay its not a break in then its criminal damage"
Old 20 July 2008, 03:26 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Looks like a targerted attack, or kids who have chosen the car for a laugh.

car thieves don't generally try to get in through a front window, it looks like they just wanted to smash the two largest most expensive windows on the car.

It will be criminal damage as thats all that has happened here, and yes criminal damage is a crime and is recorded same as any other. Depending on damage caused crim dam can be as serious as a theft offence (even more so sometimes).

The police may have sounded uninterested but unfortunatly this kind of thing is so common and an officer investigating it will spend hours of their time sat in the police station as a result instead of out and about trying to prevent it happeneing in the first place.

This kind of offence is so difficult to detect to a suspect and deal with unless there are other witnesses or cctv. There is very rarely any forensic evidence.

I would advice a security light and possibly cctv where your car is parked. This may act as a deterant in the future.

I know none of this is an excuse but too often the police get get the anger directed at them instead of at the ******* who have done this. All police officers would love to be out on the streets and get the chance to catch these idiots or prevent them dong things like this.

Sorry to hear it has happened and i hope it doesn't occur again. Another bit of advice is, if you know your neighbours well speak to them and let tem know what has happened. Ask them to look out for people heading up your drive etc.

Matt
Old 20 July 2008, 03:31 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Sorry to see this Mike!

Is it worth trying some of the Subaru brakers for the screens?
Old 20 July 2008, 03:37 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Total *******!!!!!!!!
I had every window smashed on my xr2 except 1 and sunroof. Then some **** ran round my astra gsi with a key because i supposedly tried to run him over. You to could of upset someone or may be jelousy
Old 20 July 2008, 07:19 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

jelousy is the normal thing. gutted for you
Old 20 July 2008, 09:22 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

looks targetted to me mate, you wouldnt take the risk if its up a drive next to a house etc. i had a punto and it had its window smashed, nothing taken etc just kids bored. somone will have heard somthing somone always does, just do your own investigation. screw the police they wont do anything anyway.
Old 21 July 2008, 01:33 AM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Damn...just idiots everywhere thesedays!!!!!

Just try and not let it ruin your week!!!
Old 21 July 2008, 09:06 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Find the barstewards and do the same to their kneecaps Have you upset anyone recently?
Cheers
Colin
Old 21 July 2008, 07:10 PM
lloydee
Scooby Regular

It's sad to think, but looks more like criminal damage than intent on stealing.
As said, there seems no apparent logic in smashing the front windscreen.
Don't understand people's humour sometimes!

Was this parked on your drive? or communal parking area?