Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2008, 11:25 AM
stewyhambo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of license!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys recently i was nabbed for speeding which resulted in me toting up to 6 points!! When i was caught it was in the misses car. Took all details down the old shop only to discover that my fully comp insurance didnt cover me for her car. Stupid i know, shouldve checked. Now have court summons etc. Am i likely to loose license as i already have 6 points for sppeding and i expect another 6 for insurance???

The other thing was its taken them 10 months since the speeding!! Are they allowed to take that long???

Cheers guys
Old 05 June 2008, 11:28 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Yes expect to loose you're licence, I got 7 points when I got caught, years ago mind, and also expect to be royally shafted when you get it back and try to insure a car again.

Sorry.
Old 05 June 2008, 11:31 AM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as I know it sounds not too good mate. I could very well be wrong but it sounds like a ban is on the way. Speeding/dangerous driving and no insurance wouldn't go down too well. I think they're still ok with it being 10 months later but someone else will know for sure.
Sorry to hear about it fella, but I guess if you do the crime and all that....
Old 05 June 2008, 11:33 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Insurance Offences
IN10 Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks.......... 6-8 points
Old 05 June 2008, 11:33 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stewyhambo
Guys recently i was nabbed for speeding which resulted in me toting up to 6 points!! When i was caught it was in the misses car. Took all details down the old shop only to discover that my fully comp insurance didnt cover me for her car. Stupid i know, shouldve checked. Now have court summons etc. Am i likely to loose license as i already have 6 points for sppeding and i expect another 6 for insurance???

The other thing was its taken them 10 months since the speeding!! Are they allowed to take that long???

Cheers guys
No. You have the right to a timely trial. Speak to a decent solicitor.
Old 05 June 2008, 11:35 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
Suppose it depends on the judge at the end of the day, and to whether or not he believes you regarding if you genuinely didn't realise you weren't covered to drive your misses car.
TBH alot of people (including myself) assume that most fully comp insurance policies allow you to drive another car 3rd party.
Never check mine, but I'd assume I was covered 3 party too.

You could just get more points, but not enough to ban you. Do you need your car for work? A letter off your boss asking for leniency due to your important role within the company. Plus a good statement on your character couldn't hurt either.
Old 05 June 2008, 11:41 AM
HAYDN"5"
Scooby Regular

Not to sure but i think if its a summons offence the summons must be issued to you within 6 months of the offence,thats how it was years ago ,but may of now changed,worth checking with a solicitor.
Old 05 June 2008, 11:46 AM
stewyhambo
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, looks as though the car might have to go then, insurance at 23 on impreza is bad enough, but after a ban!!!!!! oooouuccchhhh!!!!!

Doh!!!

And to make it worse, it was only a bloody ford fiesta !!!!!!!!
Old 05 June 2008, 11:48 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I was told by insurance companies that IN10 is only one step down from the DD codes, For loading your policy up.
Old 05 June 2008, 11:55 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I made the same mistake. Despite paying over 1k to insure a car an two bikes i got done for no insurance. Total joke and put the premiums up for quite while (will deffo need to shop around).

£200 and six points minimum, Doesn't matter whether you believed you were covered or not i'm afraid. Your best hope is to try to get round the speeding on the 6 months to prosecute rule. Speak to citizen's advice.

5t.
Old 05 June 2008, 12:07 PM
WRX333
Scooby Regular

Can't do you for speeding 10 months on!!!
Not sure what the limit is but think its more like 2 months notification period.
Speeding is not an issue now if you've got a half decent solicitor.
You'll still get done for the insurance though.
Old 05 June 2008, 01:44 PM
stewyhambo
Scooby Regular

Im pretty much gutted cos i also had fully comp insurance on an RX7 TWIN TURBO, plus works van. Turns out that the fully comp rule of giving you third party on another vehicle only takes effect after yr 25!!!!!! Any idea of the time period of a ban????????????????????

We live and learn!!!!!
Old 05 June 2008, 01:45 PM
joekont
Scooby Regular

If it's a camera then then they have to give you the notice of intended prosecution within 14 days of the offence. Saying that you didn't receive the NIP isn't good enough. It's ok for them just to say that they posted it.

Where a ticket is issued by an orificer then that 14 day period doesn't count because the ticket that you signed is the notice of intended prosecution.

Definately talk to a solicitor. You can normally get the first half hour free somewhere if your a tightwad lol.
Old 05 June 2008, 01:49 PM
Get A Grip
Scooby Regular

All these barrack room lawyers spouting rubbish.

The 6 month limit for summary proceedings is for the laying of the Information. 5 years study at college/university with a proper training contract/articles is what makes a lawyer, not simply reciting what you heard a mate's friend say when he was in the pub.
Old 05 June 2008, 01:56 PM
Bladeboy
Scooby Newbie

I got banned for getting 12 points about six years ago, your looking at a six month ban.

My license came back with all the speeding points and codes removed, they were replaced with a single TT99 code, which stays on your license for 4 years from date of conviction.

Good luck anyway.
Old 05 June 2008, 01:59 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Try this--->00ps,very good for the questions you asked and also for a whole manner of other motoring questions...I am not a fkin anorak,just too much time on my hands....
Old 05 June 2008, 02:06 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

They've got 6 months from date of offence to bring proceedings; they are timed out if they miss this deadline. I got nabbed for speeding on 23 Nov 2007 & Summons landed on door mat exactly 6 months later

Try the Pepipoo website as it contains loads of info.

TX.

Originally Posted by HAYDN"5"
Not to sure but i think if its a summons offence the summons must be issued to you within 6 months of the offence,thats how it was years ago ,but may of now changed,worth checking with a solicitor.
Old 05 June 2008, 02:08 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I was issued with a fixed penalty notice by a policeman & didn't need to sign a thing ...

TX.

Originally Posted by joekont
Where a ticket is issued by an orificer then that 14 day period doesn't count because the ticket that you signed is the notice of intended prosecution.
Old 05 June 2008, 02:24 PM
joekont
Scooby Regular

I did the last time I got stopped for speeding.

And when I got a non endorseable fixed penalty for my front number plate..
Old 05 June 2008, 03:44 PM
HAYDN"5"
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
They've got 6 months from date of offence to bring proceedings; they are timed out if they miss this deadline. I got nabbed for speeding on 23 Nov 2007 & Summons landed on door mat exactly 6 months later

Try the Pepipoo website as it contains loads of info.

TX.
They have 6 months and 1 day ,before time limit runs out
Old 05 June 2008, 03:54 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
If you drive for a living, ie; your job depends on your licence, courier, taxi driver etc, Ive known ppl to get a pardon and get off with it, even though they will still get 12 points and lets say, drive like a vicar for a yr or two. It is possible and not un heard of.
Old 05 June 2008, 03:56 PM
stewyhambo
Scooby Regular

I have already recieved the speeding points. Question is can it take 10 months for them to do anything about the insurance??????
Old 05 June 2008, 06:00 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Cheers guys
If you received the summons( actually its when the information was laid at court, but for simplicity) within 6 months of the date of the alleged offence, then yes it is valid, the court appearance can happen later, usually upto a year. So did you receive the summons with 6 months ?
Old 05 June 2008, 06:42 PM
Cream
Scooby Regular

Can you not plead that you need the car for work, I many years ago got done doing 70 in a 30 (yes I know tut tut) got banned for 21 days but I asked the solicitor to go back in and explain that I needed the car for work. the result being 5 points and a £200 fine, which is a hell of a lot better than ANY ban.It was my first offense so that might have had an influence, but it's worth asking.
Old 05 June 2008, 07:53 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

For cliffs sake---> here ...