yep, mine does. Usually at 2am in the morning
Old 16 May 2008, 03:53 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by HT04
oh my god. !!!

its just that my car is garaged in the next street. ( a block of privately owned garages ), i just went round to start it after leaving it a week or so and it was dead. just wondered if i have pissed any of the nearby neighbours off. which i most probably have. oopppppssssss
wouldn't worry about it, it's not loud enough to wake anyone up if it's garaged (imo).

Mine's right outside the bedroom window, so I'm usually out at 2:01am in my bathrobe with a spanner disconnecting the battery terminals as that seems to shut the alarm up faster (I guess it can't use what little charge is left in the battery to recharge itself enough to power the siren)
Old 16 May 2008, 03:55 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's quite quiet. You need to open the car with the key, turn the ignition to 2 and press the fob button to disable dead lock IIRC and then relock with the key.
Old 16 May 2008, 04:00 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chaps - I think you should see someone about your alarms/electrics...

The alarm system should be able to tell if the battery is slowly going flat and 'realise' that it actually isn't being disconnected.

Either the alarm system is faulty (possible depending on your system).
The alarm system is inferior and hasn't got any kind of 'thinking'.
Or your battery is losing charge too quickly so the alarm thinks it is being disconnected...

My alarm used to go off when battery went dead and and the reason was the third one above. Turned out I had a sticking relay in the ignition so a circuit that would use power when the engine was running, was always draining power.... Could this be your problem?

Or have you got an old battery that doesn't hold charge? Or is there something else draining it (tracker?)?

A battery certainly shouldn't go flat in a fortnight..... The longest I have left mine is 5-6 weeks and no problems.
Old 16 May 2008, 04:06 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

uk cars DEFO go off when battery dies. Ask my sister while she was house sitting and we were in barbados WITH both sets of keys by mistake.. BTW it had battery problems also.
Old 16 May 2008, 04:06 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OEM batteries on repeated short/infrequent journeys running trackers etc go toast flat in 6 months I have found. It was the same on my WRX and is the same on my STi.

All hail the new battery

Blue Top 4.2 DCM Optima Batteries UK
Old 16 May 2008, 04:07 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

04 car is probably around the time it needs a new battery TBH. If still on the original of course
Old 16 May 2008, 04:15 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I had a friend of a friend look at it, and he found the sticking relay... the man is a god with autoelectrics but doesn't do it for trade...!!

Had 2 other electricians look beforehand, a new alarm system installed (their suggestion) and two batteries later....!!

Not saying the relay is your problem.... more of a one off incident with mine and nobody thought of it.

All I can say is get someone to see if you have a drain on the battery from the car, and test the battery seperately to see if it loses it's charge. At least then you are narrowing down the possibilties...
Old 16 May 2008, 04:16 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HT04
i will just say tho guys, since i bought the car (22nd march ) all i have done is bring it round from the garage to clean it and stuff. havnt gone further than 2 miles in it ( to get new exhaust put on ). lol.

so all ive done is very short stop start jurneys round the block. so the battery isnt getting a good cycle.

could this mean the battery is now toast ?

is this the reason its flat ?
Not giving it a good run will no doubt add to the problem.... Try fully charging the battery to test that first...
Old 16 May 2008, 05:29 PM
Blacksimus
Scooby Regular

Best way to start off is pop into your nearest halfords or kwik fit and ask for a battery check. They are free and I always find the halfords meter to be spot on and advises me if the battery is not holding charge or probably not been charged properly.
Old 17 May 2008, 08:44 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Halfords HCB005 calcium battery is the one to get, ideal match for the subaru smart charge system.
Old 17 May 2008, 10:49 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

They only charge when a load is being taken, drive with the lights on
Old 17 May 2008, 12:40 PM
TINO.wrx
Scooby Regular

i had a problem on my 03wrx, with it losing charge. apart from the battery being crap. newage cars only seem to charge the battery when there is a big drain, like having the side lights on. so with it being "sort of"" summer then most will prob drive quite a bit without having to have the lights on. but this was just my experience on my car!!

steve