Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best baby seat for a classic wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 10:26 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best baby seat for a classic wagon?

My daughter is now 9 months old, 20lbs and can sit up by herself so we are after a front facing baby seat for my UK MY00 turbo 2000 wagon. We've been to Mothercare tonight and got a Mothercare MPH seat which they fitted ok but I can't seem to get it fitting right myself - the seat belt buckle seems to be too high. I'll take another look at it tomorrow, but has anyone else got this seat or is there another make/model that would fit better?
The Mothercare one is very bulky and sits very high off the back seat, it's that bulky we'll have to get two as it's too awkward to take in and out of my wifes 3-door 04 plate Clio. They also tried the Brittax first class in my scoob but that wouldn't fit as the buckle was too high if they put the strap one way and too low if it was fitted the other.
I should have asked you guys before buying one, my wife was most insistant we got one tonight. I wanted a Recaro but Mothercare don't do them.
Suppose at the end of the day it's what's safest rather than what looks the best!
Old 03 April 2008, 10:20 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

I hoped for some replies at least - there has to be people out there with classic wagons that have young kids, or should I be selling mine and buying something more sensible like I assume everyone else to have done!!??

If you have a classic wagon with a child seat in it please can you post up here the make and model, thanks.
Old 03 April 2008, 10:32 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think ours is a Brittax first class in 'dusk' IIRC you can get it to sit in the recess but its not perfect. I think its a brilliant seat

If you want it to fit perfectly you can get rubber seat protectors which they sell for leather interiors to prevent seat stretching. This would lift the seat slightly preventing the buckle from riding up the belt passed the recess.
Old 03 April 2008, 10:36 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
I think ours is a Brittax first class in 'dusk' IIRC you can get it to sit in the recess but its not perfect. I think its a brilliant seat

If you want it to fit perfectly you can get rubber seat protectors which they sell for leather interiors to prevent seat stretching. This would lift the seat slightly preventing the buckle from riding up the belt passed the recess.
Thanks for the reply, if yours is a 53 plate it probably has isofix?
I'll have to look into these rubber seat protectors, it's only a cloth interior but it would help reduce 'buckle crunch' with the seat up a bit higher.

I think we'll be getting a Brittax first class for the clio
Old 03 April 2008, 10:43 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the britax in the old 53WRX, also in the new MY06 STi SpecD and the Classic Wagon, yes I have two scoobs It always fitted so tight I never upgraded to ISOFIX.

I also considered getting a G-Lock which would lock the lower part of the belt tight into the recess, but all you really need is a bit of extra seat height to compensate for the buckle.

One thing about the britax is I think it was supposed to be for upto 4 year old, well my lanky 3 year old grew out of it
Old 04 April 2008, 09:10 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

My 2 kids have used the Bebe Confort Iosis seats, when I looked into this 3-4 years ago this turned out to be the best for both our cars (classic saloon and a MkIV golf). I'm sure the game has moved on a bit since then, the latest Bebe seat is now the Axiss

Baby Equipment Complete

Looks like the prices have moved on too
Old 04 April 2008, 10:23 AM
the invisible dog
Scooby Newbie

Got a Britax Evolva 1-2-3 in my '93 Wagon and it works well
Bit fiddly feeding the seatbelt through when fitting but you get the hang of it
The belt is long enough in the Impreza but couldn't fit it in the rear of my Dad's Izusu the other day as the belt was too short so worth checking if you may need to fit in another vehicle...
Old 04 April 2008, 11:14 AM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

I know Halfords have some well fitting seats for the classic as i have one myself, can't remember the make though but the Recaro seats fit well and are well made.

Gem
Old 04 April 2008, 02:16 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies, I've written them all down and are about to head off to Kiddisave in Walsall (if the d**n car will start - Sigma M30 alarm has locked me out again, must get around to fitting the new one soon) and test some seats out.
Old 04 April 2008, 08:48 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Recaro one. Leave the ISOFIX base in my wife's Yaris, in my Scoob (MY98 WRX wagon) I just use the seat belt. No problems.
Old 05 April 2008, 12:56 AM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I have Recaro for my daughter and a booster seat for my son, both work great and make use of the isofix points or belts.
Old 05 April 2008, 09:08 AM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Well we tried out the Recaro Young Expert plus in the demonstrator seat and it looked really awkward to fit and didn't have any tensioner so once you strapped it in you couldn't tighten it any more. As the back seats in the scoob are so spongy this would be a problem. I asked about using a rubber seat protectors but the fitter didn't think this would make any difference. The Recaro Young Sport is a great seat and will last them till they are 12 years old, problem is it won't fit in my scoob, there is MAJOR buckle crunch!

Tried also the Maxi-cosi tobi seat and while it's meant to fit in 95% of cars my scoob is in the other 5% - the buckle sits too high on the base and would be unsafe according to the fitter.

The places we went to didn't do the Britax Evolva 1-2-3 and the fitter said that they could tell by looking that the Bebe Axiss wouldn't fit either.

So we've stuck with the mothercare one which apparently is a re-badged Brittax Rennaisance which searching through some old threads on here prior to posting is what some other classic scoob owners have been using.

Would be interested to hear what model Recaro seats silent running and finalzero have, but sounds like it still may vary by scoob model. I can't change the seat now anyway now as it's been used and you only have 7 days to return them to the shop unused with child seats apparently.

Emma seems to like it and fell asleep in it on the way back from Walsall to Stafford, after moaning because she couldn't eat her foot!
It didn't look like she was bothering to look out of the window which I was surprised about now that she can see out.

Thanks again for all your replies.
Old 05 April 2008, 09:20 AM
Ads78
Scooby Regular

Well this is handy, I have a three month old so willl save this post and re-read it in a few months.

I would like to go for a recaro seat, so if silent running and finalzero can post the model of the seats they are using that would be a great help!

Last edited by Ads78; 01 July 2008 at 01:41 PM. Reason: embarrassing spelling error!
Old 05 April 2008, 10:52 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Jane (pronounced yannay, Spanish..) are good quality seats, with some very nice colour options..
Old 06 April 2008, 12:41 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it's a Young Expert Plus I've got. It's the one which starts off with a smaller head support thing for when they're little but then you can take that bit out and it converts to a child seat. Has an Isofix base, but in my Scoob I just pop the seatback forward away from its hard shell, put the belt through, clunk click, put the seatback back into position and that's it.
Old 06 April 2008, 09:17 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

I have got the britax toby car seat in my classic, i found with alot of the seats i was getting buckle crunch, and this one fitted very well (brought from mothercare)
Old 08 April 2008, 12:27 PM
speedydaveb
Scooby Regular

Had a phone call yesterday from Recaro, unfortunatley it was too late for me. It sounds like they get a lot of emails so the best way of contacting them is by phone: 01926 484111