Sponsored by:

What are your P1 Horror Stories???

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2001, 12:53 AM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

My wife has just broke the news to me, she's preggers. I have been waiting for 8 months to pick up my new M3 and now it's been snatched away from me at the last moment.

Why?, I was going to put 8.5K of my own money towards the car which my company was going to pay the 30K difference. I was then going to buy the car from the company next year when the emissions rules come into force
at book price minus my 8.5K.

That 8.5K now has to be put into the baby fund, and I am now looking to buy a P1. I have phoned around and found a couple of dealers that have unregistered P1's with delivery miles only.

I have read a couple of articles where people have had problems with their P1's. I would appreciate if you could let me know what problems, opinions you have regarding the P1. I am not going to bother with any of the WR upgrades (because I've no spare cash).

ARRON I would especially like to hear your view.

Cheers
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulmon (edited 06 January 2001).]
Old 06 January 2001, 01:27 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul,

Apart from the M3, Many Congratulations.

Re the P1, the problems some particular people have had are extremely well documented. The only 'horror stories' seem to revolve around the DS3000 pads used on the brake upgrade, and the resultant damage to disks and wheels, but I understand they are now using DS2000's instead. Other than that, there have been a few problems similar to those encountered by other Impreza owners.

Having said that, I love mine! I have had a couple of minor problems which would have been sorted out a lot quicker had I not chosen to use a dealer 90+ miles away, when I could have popped into the one 5 miles away, but that's my choice/fault.

In addition I have always found my dealer, and Prodrive, to be very helpful when it comes to any queries or advice about the car. Far more so than with my previous Scoob.

As with most things, when people have a problem (or a series of problems) they not unreasonably shout the loudest. You don't always hear from the majority of satisfied punters.

Josh

PS If this doesn't get me a free brake upgrade, I'm buying a Ford!

Old 06 January 2001, 02:00 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Paul

Congrats on the baby front.

I've got a P1 with Brake upgrade. It's got the 3000 pads and have been experiencing the problems discussed else where on this BBS.

The problems are going to be rectified through my Dealer and Prodrive next week.

I have one small child and two due in July / August and the only down side is the two door aspect of the car ( still the missus has a 5 door RAV 4 so that's the Baby car ).

I would recommend the P1 wholeheartedly.

Josh - I have told our dealer and he say's better get down to your local Ford dealer

Old 06 January 2001, 02:12 PM
Kevin Greeley
Scooby Regular

Babies don't cost much to start with - they hardly eat anything and start off tiny

You're probably looking at only a few hundred quid for the first year, but of course the costs rise each year especially when they reach school age.

I read somewhere that about £100K is required for a child to reach 18 years old (probably includes loss of earnings, not sure).

So to sum up, babies don't cost a lot, kids are reasonable but teenagers are extremely expensive.

Perhaps it would be wise to invest the 8.5K in some sort of unit-linked fund that matures in 10 years ?

Congratulations anyway.

Kevin
(2 kids, open to offers)
Old 06 January 2001, 06:36 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin,

It's not the cost of the sprog that has caused me to re-evaluate my spending, it's the fact that my wife is self-employed (drives a 96 Wagon with 00 interior and scoobysport backbox, which is now for sale if anyone is interested) and will only get statutory maternity benefit for the 6 months she wants off work and that I now need to put double glazing at the back of my house because thats where the sprog will scream it's head of all night.

I had heard some stories about the paintwork not being upto scratch, and that stonechips were something that you had better get used to if you wanted to own a P1.

I was thinking of moving the scoobysport backbox from my wifes car onto the P1 on the basis that it sounds fantastic, is the standard backbox that comes on the P1 compare with the scoobysport one, does anyone know what the score is with the warranty.

Cheers
Paul

Cheers
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulmon (edited 06 January 2001).]
Old 06 January 2001, 08:32 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi

I've had my P1 for 4 months now and love it to bits despite all else.

Mechanically, the car has been 101%.

The only dissapointments I've had are as follows;

- Car was delivered minus the P1 spoiler and the upgraded 18" wheels that I ordered.

- Wheels took 2 months to arrive

- Spoiler to 2.5 months.

- Uprated brakes used DS3000 pads which give off terrible brake dust that can't be cleaned. On a positive note, being changed under warranty next week.

As you can see, none of these problems were exactly mechanical. They were just the type that spoiled the experience of getting the car new, knowing it was incomplete.

I have to say, the dealer has been superb at helping sort these things out. And all will soon be a distant memory.

I've also added the following;

P1 s/steel exhaust
STi Boost Guage
Genuine Subaru side rubbing strips painted blue (look great)
STi Stainless steel inner sill trims

All in all, it's simply the best drivers car you'll lay your hands on. It's also a very special car, which people admire and compliment me on wherever I go.

My advice would be get the P1. You won't regret it now the teething troubles are all sorted.

Check out my website -
Old 06 January 2001, 08:44 PM
HAPPY
Scooby Regular

Talking

i have had two MAJOR problems with mine

1) getting to 1000 miles

2) getting the smile off my face now that i'm past 1000 miles

pete
Old 06 January 2001, 09:09 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

I have to say that I agree with Happy.

I've done 10,000 miles in 4 months and have loved driving the car for every one of them.

One SERIOUS problem I encountered whilst running my car in - FUEL BLOCKADES. I couldn't use the car as much as I would have liked for fear of not having enought fuel to get to work.

Regards
Kurt
Old 06 January 2001, 10:59 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Kurt, would be interested in a pic of your side strips.

Ive got some, not on the car yet and was wondering about coding them .

thanks

russell
Old 06 January 2001, 11:03 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

just a note to you guys running the uprated brakes and DS3000 pads.

Irespective of the mess they make of your wheels/disks.

DS3000 pads are not suitable for road use, Ferodo themselves say they should not be used on the road.

If you have these pads on your P1, get them replaced with DS2000 as soon as you can.

Info from Ferodo on these pads at
Old 06 January 2001, 11:52 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Yep, had a look at the web site and Ferodo advertise the DS2000s quite heavily. However the reality is that when I tried to get them from several of the listed "approved garages" they had no idea what the DS2000s were, and couldn't find them in their catalogue, and some of them evern tried to flog me some Mintexs instead!

Does anyone have the part number for the DS2000s or knows where I can get them from (other than the Subaru dealers - thank you very much - my car is MY00 not P1 so I can't get them for free and the dealer wanted £140+vat, that's around 165 squid!!! if my muf' is correct).

I heard from someone that Subaru/Prodrive got some sort of exclusivety (read - monopoly) on these pads. If this is true I think it's outrages in the modern capitalist society / market economy

BIG RED

PS. Seriously though, I would be very grateful if someone could help me get those pads at a reasonable price. Cheers very much!
Old 07 January 2001, 11:57 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Paul I`ll mail you tomorrow when I`ve got more time.

Old 07 January 2001, 03:51 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Russell

Here's a picture of the side strips;

Part number is SACC1222 for anyone who's interested.

Regards
Kurt
Old 07 January 2001, 05:50 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Comment by JF:

>>Irespective of the mess they make of your wheels/disks.

With the risk of sounding like a broken record ... this is so true.

I had my DS3000 pads replaced after 2000 miles.

NOT because they made a mess of my alloys (they did), but because they *freaked* me out when they were cold (which is 90 % of normal road driving time, yes). It was only when I had them replaced that I noticed that a) the pads were already cracked and b) there was about 1 mmm of disc material gone (and I'm a wuss driver).

Please get them off your cars as soon as possible, they are dangerous on public roads. On track though, hohoho, they are really magnificent.

And the Prodrive/Alcon kit with DS2000 is more than you'll ever gonna need on a public road. Still an excellent kit (to balance off things a bit).

FWIW,

Theo