Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying guide 5-6.5k budget Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2008, 10:34 PM
gsi jon
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying guide 5-6.5k budget Advice!

The time has come im 25 have 5 years no claims bonus and fed up of driving a slow boring car! 206 1.9 diesel

Looking everyday at the moment at buying an impreza (its ok im not totally in experienced in fast cars - dad emmigrated so drove his wrx for 3 months whilst selling and back when i was younger i had a mildly tuned and caged track gsi nova)

i want a newish one (bug version) but still am undecided whether i like but a bit afraid to go older but the old ones sit so sweet o 17's

Was looking at uk spec as at the moment have no real clue about imports - whats the general thoughts on them.

Im thinking a standard WRX - for my money i just cant see any other car that im interested in by a long shot

although im looking at an evo 4 tomorrow - a trusted friends imported it he also has an evo 6 but thats too much unfortunatley cause thats a hands down car for me

tried finding a search utility but couldnt see so any advice on buying - addtional costs to think about, likley problems etc

greatly apreciated Jon

Last edited by gsi jon; 07 March 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added a further line
Old 08 March 2008, 08:41 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Does it need to have 4 doors? I'd prefer an Sti 4 type r (2 door) over an evo 4.

WRC Sales : SUBARU IMPREZA STI TYPE R VERSION 4

You could also get a nice 99/00 UK classic.

Subaru : Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 UK

Or a bugly

DynoTune : SUBARU IMPREZA WRX UK CAR 260BHP
Old 08 March 2008, 09:55 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

gsi jon, this is not a loaded question and I don't want to hijack your thread. Do you know that it will cost you more to run this bugeye than it will to buy it in the first place? Just make sure you really can afford it.

Note to everyone else. I am not going to post again on this thread unless specifically asked my opinion to please don't turn this into a Blueblaster kicking thread. This guy needs an honest, balanced opinion.
Old 08 March 2008, 10:05 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

my mate bought a car from wrc car sales in bradford they look to have some nice cars in
he has had no problems
just dont go to keighley trade centre waste of a journey imo

Last edited by zs_phil; 08 March 2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08 March 2008, 07:30 PM
gsi jon
Scooby Newbie

Hmm the evo 4 was really decent and a serioyusly good price so will have to get another quote for it - got quoted on an impreza befroe not sure how much difference there will be!

It is a valid question from blueblaster about cost. I will have to foot larger petrol bills etc but i think thats what you gotta do, i think anyone on this site who says that there car is used from a to b driving only is lyining its the whole enthusiast thing and hobby etc.

Really leaning towards this evo 4 at the moment pending insurance costs

What is peoples response though about it being a 1997 - 11 year old car? has done 80k - im going a stepp backwards from a 1999 pug
Old 08 March 2008, 07:41 PM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

My mate's currently selling his car, just having the gearbox rebuilt with all new gears etc, it's a good car at a good price, nice Mods and power
TyneTeesScoobies :: View topic - Bug Eye Impreza
Old 08 March 2008, 08:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

blue blaster has a point mate (this time) if your concerned about cost and dont have any cash in reserve i would seriously reconsider if i were you as these cars as with any car it's not the purchase price thats the problem it's the running costs! and evo's historically cost more to run than scoobys and we all know scoobs cost alot more than the average car and thats before mods and breakdowns! break pads for instance are £100+ good tyres are £80 each minimum! but hey its your money! spend it how you like!!
Old 08 March 2008, 09:48 PM
scottySTIv3
Scooby Regular

Evo costs are horrendous m8.

Ive owned a 97 STI for near enough 3 years now and yes ive had the odd small repair but the biggest cost of running is fuel.

Servicing is a real doddle to do and if you get your head round it to do it yourself you'll be able to save a good few quid while also maintaining it to a very high standard.

i agree wis zs-phill , advoid Keighly like the plague (personal experience) however there are a few good importers around that will offer a good upgraded warranty for a few extra quid which will ultimately save you money in the long run and gives you a bit of piece of mind to enjoy your new found pride and joy.

As for the classic vs Bugeye decision ,Bugyeys do offer great value for money & I was seriously considering one myself but I love the look of the classic and performance upgrades and standard replacement parts are plentiful for either upgrades or repairs.

Just remember jap import means 99 ron fuel and octane bosster required to avoid pinking and expensive rebuild,but more bhp as standard,UK spec means lower running costs but not as much BHP as standard.

Hope that helps.

Scotty
Old 08 March 2008, 10:09 PM
jonjokes12
Scooby Regular

out of interest why are evo running costs so horrendous?? In what ways are they worse than imprezas??
Old 08 March 2008, 10:21 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

everything is twice expensive ,insurance doubles for me than my wrx for an evo 4 if you go on lancerregister its got its own running cost calculator to warn people what they are like .
Mitsubishi Lancer Register

Last edited by zs_phil; 08 March 2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08 March 2008, 11:34 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

just did the cost calculator for 10,000 miles which is generally accepted as average miles per year (even though i do more) and its £4000 without tyres and brakes and thats with fuel at 99p per ltr ouch!!
Old 09 March 2008, 12:58 AM
Mew
Scooby Regular

dont get an evo4, they the worst evo to have in terms of costs and unreliability they tend to break more often.... evo3 is gud choice or evo5,6 but obviously the 5 n 6 r more expensive

if i had the money id go for an evo5 pretty much the same as the 6 but the 6 got more/better goodies
Old 09 March 2008, 07:17 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

those in the know say the evo 5 is the best one as it was over engineered to compensate for the bad rep of the evo 4 a machanic i know swears by them and he was into them before they were popular and swears there bullet proof.
Old 09 March 2008, 07:47 PM
Green Classic 98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Does it need to have 4 doors? I'd prefer an Sti 4 type r (2 door) over an evo 4.

WRC Sales : SUBARU IMPREZA STI TYPE R VERSION 4

You could also get a nice 99/00 UK classic.

Subaru : Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 UK

Or a bugly

DynoTune : SUBARU IMPREZA WRX UK CAR 260BHP
Be carefull there are lots of cars out there that are advertised incorrectly, e.g. the "Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 UK" in the post quoted above appears to be on import specification wheels, I don't think the UK cars were ever available with these these wheels (correct me if I'm wrong)... However, I have nothing against imports, as these can be a bargan and you can often get the insurance for the same price etc. But make sure it has a Thatcham Category alarm on it and really is close to the UK spec.

I have also seen several wrx's that were advertised as sti's on the main internet car sale site most weeks...

Always insist on seeing the log book and service history reciepts (these should include the original receipt for the car, if they are not available you are taking more risk..., always get the car HPI checked, watch out for the seller standing between you and the car when you look around it, they may be trying to hide something. Also worth saying that 5 doors are cheaper than saloons, but in my opinion are not quite so nice to drive (flame suit on...).
Old 09 March 2008, 07:54 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gsi jon
The time has come im 25 have 5 years no claims bonus and fed up of driving a slow boring car! 206 1.9 diesel

Looking everyday at the moment at buying an impreza (its ok im not totally in experienced in fast cars - dad emmigrated so drove his wrx for 3 months whilst selling and back when i was younger i had a mildly tuned and caged track gsi nova)

i want a newish one (bug version) but still am undecided whether i like but a bit afraid to go older but the old ones sit so sweet o 17's

Was looking at uk spec as at the moment have no real clue about imports - whats the general thoughts on them.

Im thinking a standard WRX - for my money i just cant see any other car that im interested in by a long shot

although im looking at an evo 4 tomorrow - a trusted friends imported it he also has an evo 6 but thats too much unfortunatley cause thats a hands down car for me

tried finding a search utility but couldnt see so any advice on buying - addtional costs to think about, likley problems etc

greatly apreciated Jon

Im trying to guage soem interest in mine mate, silver bugeye.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...rx-silver.html
Old 09 March 2008, 09:53 PM
gsi jon
Scooby Newbie

some of you boys have got your pipes and slippers on today, EVO/IMPREZA its gonna cost a bit to run whatever i do. I never casme into this thread and said i cant afford it! i thought 5-6.k budget was fairly healthy and what i earn is fairly healthy.

Can the evo 4 really be that tradgic its the same engine as th 6? anyway this is a subaru forum so should stop battering on about evos! although them evo will hold its value better

Loving that bug eye still unsure classic vs newer.
Is a 1997 car too old to buy though seen a couple of classic i like?
Old 09 March 2008, 10:38 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

some of you boys have got your pipes and slippers on today, EVO/IMPREZA its gonna cost a bit to run whatever i do. I never casme into this thread and said i cant afford it! i thought 5-6.k budget was fairly healthy and what i earn is fairly healthy.

Can the evo 4 really be that tradgic its the same engine as th 6? anyway this is a subaru forum so should stop battering on about evos! although them evo will hold its value better

Its whatever floats your boat mate, some classics look nice and some look like **** IMHO, but I like the new age ones, Id try and buy the newest you can tbh, as for Evo's, well thats what i aspire to own but Id rather have the £ all there to buy in cash and that aint gonna happen just yet .....not for a 7 or 8 im after.

The Evo 4, personally i wouldn't bother, I don't think your budget will stretch to a good E5 or E6 but it would to a nice newage scoob and good example.

You must have an idea in your mind what you want, I always know instantly when I see something I like, if im not sure ill um and ah for ages.

Bottom line is a Scooby is a good reliable and fast motor, which has excellent handling looks to boot, you can do far worse.
Old 09 March 2008, 11:01 PM
martiboy
Scooby Regular

Whatever you go for mate,be it a classic or newage,you wont be dissapointed.I've had both and to be honest I still have a soft spot for the classics.Both have pros and both have cons.What all scoobies have in common are the running costs,it aint cheap.What it boils down to is personal choice.If you prefer the look of a classic, then get one.If you prefer the look of a newage, then get one of those.If it were me in your shoes I'd rather go for a higher spec older scoob rather than a lower spec one which is newer.Good luck either way !
Old 09 March 2008, 11:04 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Green Classic 98
Be carefull there are lots of cars out there that are advertised incorrectly, e.g. the "Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 UK" in the post quoted above appears to be on import specification wheels, I don't think the UK cars were ever available with these these wheels (correct me if I'm wrong)... However, I have nothing against imports, as these can be a bargan and you can often get the insurance for the same price etc. But make sure it has a Thatcham Category alarm on it and really is close to the UK spec..
I've only ever seen those wheels on the UK Turbo, my old one (my00) had them, looks like a uk turbo to me and a decent one at that.

Know what you mean about people (particularly traders) selling wrx's as sti's, it's not like it's that difficult to tell the difference.

On the running cost side, had mine for 4 years and all I had to replace was a battery and a shock absorber. Fuel costs are high but other than that it wasn't any more expensive to run than my previous Golf gti. Maybe I was lucky!

Last edited by miff13; 09 March 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10 March 2008, 08:20 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

F*ck it! I know I said I wasn't going to post again, but I am about to explode!

Mate, I earn a lot and I noticed the difference in my current account before and after purchasing my STI and I came from a CTR. Going from 30mpg to 20mpg doesn't sound a lot but in reality it means you're making 50% more trips to the petrol station than you were before. Even if you're constantly hammering it you must be getting at least 40mpg out of your diesel 206 so you are going to double your fuel bill. How many miles do you do? Also your insurance is going to rocket because this is your first performance car and the maintenance will be miles more expensive.

Mate, we've all been where you are now. The way you feel is nothing new. You need to remember that you will be paying the running costs of a £25,000 high performance car. The fact that it is going to cost you £5-6 grand is hugely misleading. How about this. I don't mean to insult you but some people don't like maths. How about you go online and get an insurance quote and in return I'll work out an estimate of your running costs if you tell me your annual mileage and the amount of money you are thinking of borrowing. At least then you will be fully armed with all the numbers. I hope you don't take offence from this offer because I am only trying to save you from a financial mistake from which it could take you a long time to recover.

Last word (for now). This is not an attack on Subarus or any other performance car. I am just trying to help.
Old 14 March 2008, 12:38 AM
gsi jon
Scooby Newbie

online quote: £760
annual milage around 9k

income 25k

206 pug is on its last legs so need to get a new car

Last edited by gsi jon; 14 March 2008 at 12:40 AM.