Sponsored by:

newbie asking for help

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2007, 08:15 PM
Sc(n)ooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie asking for help

Hi guys, my name's paul and I'm new to this Subaru scene.
Basically, I'm on the lookout for a Type R Sti (the 2 door one, version 3??).
I'm not gonna bother insuring it till I'm 25 (next July), so that gives me plenty of time to source the right one, and if I get one early, time to mod it a little

So, is there a quick guide of things to look for in an Impreza?
I have scanned the site, and can't seem to find anything like this.
Also, a few newbie Qs:
What's all this MY98 etc about?
How much are basic things like services, mpg, parts etc?
And, I heard a rumour of being able to swap a 2.5 block in place of a 2.0.
How much truth is there in this?

Many thanks,
Paul.

Oh, and my budget is about £9-11k, what can I expect for this?
Old 06 December 2007, 08:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sc(n)ooby

I'm not gonna bother insuring it till I'm 25 (next July),

So, is there a quick guide of things to look for in an Impreza?

Many thanks,
Paul.

I'm guessing you mean you don't intend insuring it in your own name till you're 25 ?

You'll find info on all the classic scoobs on the SIDC website.
Old 06 December 2007, 08:36 PM
Mo_Patrick
Scooby Regular

Couple of your questions answered.

MY98 (manufacturers year 1998)

Yes you can swap a 2.5 litre block in place of the standard 2.0 but obviously costs a fair bit of money...
Old 06 December 2007, 08:42 PM
Sc(n)ooby
Scooby Newbie

Well, yes that's true, but I don't intend on insuring it at all till I'm 25.

So if I can find one before then, I'll trailer it away, store it in my garage, mod it if it needs/I want it, then bring her out for the big day in July.

If I don't find the one by then, then I'll just keep looking.

Just thought that if I start looking now with the intention of buying, I shouldn't impulse buy and I can hang fire till a perfect one turns up.
Old 06 December 2007, 08:57 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Well, yes that's true, but I don't intend on insuring it at all till I'm 25.

So if I can find one before then, I'll trailer it away, store it in my garage, mod it if it needs/I want it, then bring her out for the big day in July.

If I don't find the one by then, then I'll just keep looking.

Just thought that if I start looking now with the intention of buying, I shouldn't impulse buy and I can hang fire till a perfect one turns up.
There is some risk involved in that - even if the car is off the road and locked away it could get nicked. Also, you'd no doubt be eager to check out how your mods were getting on, at which point Plod would be able to put your reg no into his 'puter - they'd be able to see instantly that you were not insured.

MPG - often low twenties, more if you stay off boost, less if you drive like you stole it !
Old 06 December 2007, 10:40 PM
Sc(n)ooby
Scooby Newbie

Oh no, I wouldn't drive a car unless it's fully road legal. Ever.
My bro is high up in the police force and I just wouldn't EVER risk it.

I see what ya saying about it getting nicked though. Although I live in the sticks, this leaves me vulnerable to people coming along during the day when everyone's at work. Hmmm, I suppose if someone knew it was there, fair enough, but seeing as I aint gonna be driving it round to show off, it should be OK. I think.

Is there anyway I could cover it under my house insurance or summat?

So, some more Qs: this water cooling to IC, where does the water supply come from?
With a FMIC, is there any need for the bonnet scoop?
What kinda prices are we looking at for a 2.5 conversion?
Sorry if this last qusetion sounds like a novice question, but I've been of the upbringing of "there aint no substitute for cubes!"

Again, thanks for any help,
Paul
Old 06 December 2007, 11:45 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Is there anyway I could cover it under my house insurance or summat?

With a FMIC, is there any need for the bonnet scoop?

Again, thanks for any help,

Paul
1) 'fraid not.

2) Not really, but bonnet scoops look cool.
Old 07 December 2007, 12:12 AM
Sc(n)ooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Not really, but bonnet scoops look cool.
Ya say that, but there's a gut I've seen arounf, got a classic white 4door with matt black wheels. Couldn't put a finger why I loved the look of the front end untill I realised inplace of his scoop, he had a vent. Really put it above all other scoobies for me, the fact that it was different but ya couldn't tell why
Old 07 December 2007, 12:16 AM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you are looking to get the most, if not one of the best Scoobys about... The Type R... not that I'm biased!!
Good luck in your search, still be prepared for a high insurance quote though... I'm a girl, 28yrs old, and my Type R is still £700 to insure fully comp, with a Cat 1!! But who cares... I have an awesome Type R!!!!

Lippy x
Old 07 December 2007, 12:28 AM
Sc(n)ooby
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the kind words.
Yeah, I'm looking for a type R, I've always wanted a 2door, I had a go in a P1, but the R just seemed a bit more hardcore???
Might be because I had a spin in a R when I was quite young.
Either way, type R is what I'm looking for.
As a type R owner you may be able to answer some of my previous questions, as even SIDC don't answer the simpler Qs

Oh, and it's gotta be a white one. I aint budgin on that. White all the way.

So what are the Ads & Disads for Sti/Type R compared to normal WRX and what are the problem areas (specific to this model)?
Old 07 December 2007, 12:57 AM
EmEm
Scooby Regular

Well, I can't say I know the ins and outs of a Type R, but I agree they are better than a P1, Jap Imports always seem better then their UK cousins.
Will you be looking for the Diff controller? Mine has it, but I certainly don't use it to its full potential, but a good selling point when it comes to selling it later on, if you do that is!
My one is totally standard, other than the adjustable suspension, which is being put back to standard anyway! Always check the cambelts, or at least be shown proof that its been changed recently. check for usual things like blue or white smoke from exhaust, blue meaning turbo probs and white meaning head gaskets. Has it been regularly serviced? Problem with Type R's is they are more likely to have been ragged/tracked, so just be really careful, do your home work, hpi it if its been in the country for a while and if something don't feel right, then walk away!!
Good Luck!!

Lippy x
Cheers for the kind words.
Yeah, I'm looking for a type R, I've always wanted a 2door, I had a go in a P1, but the R just seemed a bit more hardcore???
Might be because I had a spin in a R when I was quite young.
Either way, type R is what I'm looking for.
As a type R owner you may be able to answer some of my previous questions, as even SIDC don't answer the simpler Qs

Oh, and it's gotta be a white one. I aint budgin on that. White all the way.

So what are the Ads & Disads for Sti/Type R compared to normal WRX and what are the problem areas (specific to this model)?
Old 07 December 2007, 01:24 AM
Sc(n)ooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by EmEm
Well, I can't say I know the ins and outs of a Type R, but I agree they are better than a P1, Jap Imports always seem better then their UK cousins.
Will you be looking for the Diff controller? Mine has it, but I certainly don't use it to its full potential, but a good selling point when it comes to selling it later on, if you do that is!
My one is totally standard, other than the adjustable suspension, which is being put back to standard anyway! Always check the cambelts, or at least be shown proof that its been changed recently. check for usual things like blue or white smoke from exhaust, blue meaning turbo probs and white meaning head gaskets. Has it been regularly serviced? Problem with Type R's is they are more likely to have been ragged/tracked, so just be really careful, do your home work, hpi it if its been in the country for a while and if something don't feel right, then walk away!!
Good Luck!

Lippy x
Ahh, diff contoller, how would I know if it has one of these? I can only assume from your post, not all have these??
(I'm more than wiiling to travel the country for one of these, I wanna know what I'm looking at before I get there, if you know what I mean )

Usual stuff like cambelts and smoke I know, I just wanted to know whether specific things broke down ie. apparantly the Type R has water cooling to the IC. Is this reliable?? Are there any other parts I need to look out for?

Cheers though EmEm, any problems with yours??