Hello from a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2007, 04:08 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from a newbie!

Hi guys,
First thread here although have had many over on the civic type-r forum.
I have recently been concidering a change. Present car is an 04 ctr. I bought it new and have always really wanted a scooby. I had a pug 306gti-6 which was great but started over heating after a few years. So decided to get rid. Paid visit to a local scooby dealer over in southampton and really wanted one but was put off by the usual worries of mpg and at the time some 3.5 yrs ago insurance would have been barmy! So i took a test drive in a type-r and ordered a new one which i love to this day BUT! Its not been the fault free experiance i had hoped buying a honda. Nothing mechanical thats been fine Just lots of noises(creaky steering) squeeling clutch and stuff which to this day after visits now in double figures still not sorted. So got the go ahead by the misses and now over 30yrs of age seriously thinking about realising my dream.
So as far as performance goes do you guys think it a good upgrade. I have read here wrx not that much faster at all if type-r is at correct revs etc.
Obviously better traction in the scoob but would i really need to go for wrx sti to feel any great improvement in excelleration?

Last edited by Rmonkey; 28 November 2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 28 November 2007, 04:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Totally different driving experince id say - you certainly wouldnt 'need' an sti against your car in the wet..!
Wouldnt have thought the build standard could be vastly different - both pretty good.
Repair prices on scoobys not cheap of course - but of course most secumb to the temptation to modify.

Last edited by dpb; 28 November 2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 28 November 2007, 04:54 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I went from a Prelude 2.2 Vtec to a 2001 WRX last year. Quite differnet, but not dramataically faster. More low down grunt and grip in the WRX, but in std form I actually thought the Prelude handled better !

My WRX is now is quite a bit better and I love it. It has just over 300bhp, stiffened Prodrive suspension and uprated brakes. I bought the car on the basis that, of the newages, I could only afford one of the first Bugeye WRX's, but then spent a fortune tuning it anyway (by another loan !) !

Anyway, summary - if you can afford it, go for an STi.

Andy Mc
Old 28 November 2007, 05:29 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replys so far,
Another thing i have been thinking about is mpg. How do you find it compared to the prelude(which is prob. similar to my ctr). And what do you have to pay for road tax with the latest rise? Thanks again for the advise guys.
Old 28 November 2007, 05:44 PM
Godden87
Scooby Regular

I paid 180 for a years tax which to be honest isn't that bad considering the nature of the car. I went from a ctr and i haven't looked back, i have a 96 WRX import, 340bhp and it goes like stink, handles like its on rails and the noise of the flat 4 is incredible with a decat and full stainless, i just wish i had got one earlier!
Old 28 November 2007, 05:45 PM
Godden87
Scooby Regular

I paid 180 for a years tax which to be honest isn't that bad considering the nature of the car. I went from a ctr and i haven't looked back, i have a 96 WRX import, 340bhp and it goes like stink, handles like its on rails and the noise of the flat 4 is incredible with a decat and full stainless, i just wish i had got one earlier!
Old 28 November 2007, 05:59 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

How do u get it through mot without the cat?
And is the tax low because its based on the old engine size rules not co2?

Trending Topics

Old 28 November 2007, 06:02 PM
Godden87
Scooby Regular

I still have the original cat, just swap them over when the time comes! Not a clue on the tax mate, i just got mine from the local post office
Old 28 November 2007, 06:16 PM
stevolang
Scooby Regular

Defo worth the plunge,i've had two ctr's the first a silver 52 plate and the second a cosmic grey 04 plate. Nice cars but got really cheesed of with the front wheels spinning when ever i put my foot down. Then our second kid came along and i managed to convince the mrs that we needed a family saloon. I bought all three cars from new and from main dealers and have got to admit that honda customer service is second to none but because they don't do a powerful family size saloon with four wheel drive then the only option was to leave and join mitsubishi,i mean subaru!
Old 29 November 2007, 11:26 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rmonkey
Thanks for replys so far,
Another thing i have been thinking about is mpg. How do you find it compared to the prelude(which is prob. similar to my ctr). And what do you have to pay for road tax with the latest rise? Thanks again for the advise guys.
About 40 miles less on a tank on my modded Scoob, a bit better than that as standard, but still noticeably less than the prelude (I do make use of it ! ).

Road tax on a 2001 WRX is £205.

HTH mate.

Andy Mc
Old 30 November 2007, 02:20 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for advice.
I am going to take a bit of time over this. Getting married next march although i think savings cover everything and i was offered £9500 for my ctr its only done 28000mls. So i am quite confident my car and say £4000 will be ok budget and affordable. But i would like something of same age or newer and very similar mileage. Not sure about sti can get a newer wrx for that kind of money and i like the fact the wrx is same road tax band. But i would want to feel some performance gain obviously. On paper the wrx does look a fair bit quicker. How did it compare to the prelude andythejock01wrx?
Old 30 November 2007, 02:23 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Hello newbie....

Welcome to Scoobynet, its also home to some STRANGE people, keep an eye out for them
Old 30 November 2007, 06:36 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

ah ah ah hi there,
Strange you say? Usually when someone says that they are the weird one ah ah ah!
Old 30 November 2007, 06:53 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I drove both a WRX and an STi, came from owning company cars (Audi, BMW, Honda etc) and my private car, an RX7.

I went for an 05 STi in the end, just a better package all round and I know I would be wanting more if I got the WRX. However both car's serve their purpose well, the WRX is great if you want a good all round package, lots of performance (and even better with some handling mods) but comfortable enough to pootle about in with the family.

The STi feels more like a Subaru but I found mine quite easy to manage and at times you forget your driving a high performance car (had PPP packaged fitted to get 305 bhp).

I have switched again though Now own an STi Type RA classic, much much more raw and probably not something I would recommend if your after a comfortable car

I think you should test drive both car's if you get a chance and then make your mind up. As for fuel economy it seems to vary with people and depends on how you drive obviously.

I got around the same fuel economy as say a Type R being driven well but that figure would go through the floor as soon as I got a bit friendly with the accelerator pedal. Not brilliant economy but not as bad as other high performance cars, I think a well setup and maintained engine plus car will give you good fuel economy all round (e.g tyre pressure, regular oil change etc).

Hope that helps and good luck finding the right car, you will not be disappointed.
Old 30 November 2007, 07:03 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

£9.5K is 02 Prodrive STI (bug-eye) territory.... see Pistonheads for details !

Dunx

I'm biased obviously ! LOL
Old 01 December 2007, 04:51 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

ah ah ah hi there,
Strange you say? Usually when someone says that they are the weird one ah ah ah!

You got it in one.

Hello DCI.
Old 01 December 2007, 04:56 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for advice.
I am going to take a bit of time over this. Getting married next march although i think savings cover everything and i was offered £9500 for my ctr its only done 28000mls. So i am quite confident my car and say £4000 will be ok budget and affordable. But i would like something of same age or newer and very similar mileage. Not sure about sti can get a newer wrx for that kind of money and i like the fact the wrx is same road tax band. But i would want to feel some performance gain obviously. On paper the wrx does look a fair bit quicker. How did it compare to the prelude andythejock01wrx?
The std 01 WRX was a bit better than the 95 2.2 Prelude Vtec, but not much.

It's not surprising really : the Prelude was down on power, but it's weight was more like that of a classic scoob. There's a second between them 0-60, but that's largely down to the Scoob's 4wd. 30-70, there's little litttle in it.

Hence I spent lots of cash to end up with a 300bhp WRX.

Buy an STi.

HTH,

Andy.
Old 01 December 2007, 04:59 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Hello DCI.
Ola Andy
Old 01 December 2007, 05:27 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

I think if i do go ahead which i really hope i do, i would have to go for an sti. The prices at my local scooby dealer do seem a bit high though. Check out their web site. Its the southampton dealership. they got 2 sti's on 02 plate £13450. Is that over the top? Would want one slightly newer with less mileage for that!
Old 01 December 2007, 05:32 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Ola Andy
You're missing an "Aitch" !
Old 02 December 2007, 03:12 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I think if i do go ahead which i really hope i do, i would have to go for an sti. The prices at my local scooby dealer do seem a bit high though. Check out their web site. Its the southampton dealership. they got 2 sti's on 02 plate £13450. Is that over the top? Would want one slightly newer with less mileage for that!
That seems a bit dear pal.
Old 02 December 2007, 03:18 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

8 posts & spot on!!

TX.

ah ah ah hi there,
Old 02 December 2007, 03:22 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

When you get one (& you will!) miss out the dealer. There's many good ones for sale on here in For Sale section & once you get to know who's who you can probably source one from a friendly person who's looked after the car very well.

TX.

Old 02 December 2007, 05:15 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your replys and advice.
I think the next step would be to test drive. Just got back from oxford in the ctr. Dont do many long journeys it really tramps on but as im sure everyone knows not as effortless as scooby. You have to work 5th pretty hard but when it goes through 6000rpm its very good. Problem is if you want to overtake a car doin say 80mph leaving it in fifth (with the miss's in the car saying ease up) your doing about 100 before 6000rpm comes up in 5th, so there is a good 3/4 seconds waiting for 6000rpm to come round which can be to long. Dont get me wrong its still accellerating better than most before 6000 but against a scoob i would need 4th.
I have found the ctr to be 100% involving when driving hard. Yesterday i went for a drive on some b roads and it felt pretty awesome vtec'ing out of bends feathering the throttle around 5500rpm in third and fourth before letting it havit its great fun. It feels on your toes quick if that makes sence. I have heard a few people on here saying scooby is easier to drive fast almost flattering the driver. But the ctr you have to be someone who has a certain amount of technical knowledge, i.e somone who understands how to drive at pace safely using such an explosive engine. Can any of you guys explain in a real world sense how the scooby feels and how you would use it revs wise on such a road so i come appreciate to some degree how it might involve the driver.
Old 02 December 2007, 07:17 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Funny thing is , when I was deciding to buy my last car, 18 months ago, the two I had in mind were the CTR and the Newage Impreza ! The CTRs look really smart in black !

Most impressive things I found on changing from the Prelude to the Scoob were the midrange power and the grip, as you'd expect. The grip is truly leech like and takes you aback as you get used to it, flooring it round bends. I still have fun trying to brake the grip in the wet !

Others on here will hopefully add to this, but what I found was that you were still best to go into a sharp corner (relatively) slowly, but could come onto the power quite a bit earlier.

You can of course do flying starts from 5000 revs, although after a while your gearbox may not like it !

HTH

Andy
Old 03 December 2007, 04:54 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Any one else able to give a testamony on the cars performance characteristics?
Old 03 December 2007, 05:09 PM
plimpix
Scooby Newbie

I just picked my GB270 up on sat and so far it's been great, had a Focus ST-2 before that.. Looking forward to that 1000mile mark so i can start to open her up.
Old 06 December 2007, 07:23 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Plimpix hows that new motor coming on bet your not far off the 1000,mls mark already?