Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Recommended garages for cambelt change?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2007, 07:29 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended garages for cambelt change?

I've recently bought an sti type R v4 and I love it to bits! Coming from a hardcore Honda background I'm glad I took the plunge into buying another top brand jap performance motor!

The car is a fresh import, and there is no record of the cambelt being changed as far as I can work out (no sticker on the cambelt cover etc) and as the car is on 80k klms (50k mls) its bang on due a cambelt change.

Now as I'm new to the scooby scene I haven't really got any contacts like I did with the Honda's, so could anyone recommend a decent place to get the cambelt changed? Preferably close to Hertfordshire area, I don't mind travelling a bit, but at the end of the day I am slightly worried about driving it too much at the moment until the belt is changed as I'm sure you can appreciate!

I'm also after the aux belts being changed whilst I'm at it as they look a bit perished and dry so might as well get them changed at the same time, oh, and I've been advised to change the oil pump for a modified one, my mate was unfortunate to have his fail on his scooby and I obviously don't want the same to happen to mine! so I am looking at getting a Roger Clark pump as they seem to be the most reasonably priced at £149.99 (not sure if thats inc vat)

So if anyone could recommend a decent garage that know their scooby's and are well priced I'd much appreciate your recommendations! Also if anyone knows what sort of price I'd be looking at for all the work that would be great.

Cheers,
Az.
Old 23 October 2007, 08:50 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

I'd speak to your local main dealer - I know this generally goes against what some people say, but when my belts needed doing I was either being quoted silly prices by independent garages (oh, we have to take the engine out to do that ) or they just said they didnt work on 'that sort of car'.

The main dealer charge more for labour, but because they do these jobs all the time, they do them quicker, so overall it was cheaper.

I had the belts done, rear oil seal replaced, new water header tank and a few other small bits and bobs and it was around £600 all in.
Old 23 October 2007, 09:15 AM
rigga
Scooby Regular

I think Len at subaru4u is close to you in newbury....... not used him personally but there are plenty who will reccomend him,main dealers for a car that age is a waste,there are plenty of good independant subaru garages that know a lot more about these acrs and give a better service

Subaru4you - an alternative to main dealers
Old 23 October 2007, 09:47 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mocom Racing are not that far down the M11 from u M8. Zak always does a great job and he changed my Cambelt during my last service
Old 23 October 2007, 10:17 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

ZEN!
Old 23 October 2007, 01:34 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the API website
Old 23 October 2007, 04:07 PM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for the replies guys, Subaru4u isn't far really and I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone and visit my dad on the way back as he lives off the m4 not far from there.

Is there a website for mocom racing? not heard of them before, definately heard of Zen, seen them enough times at events!

Anyone else recommend?

Cheers.
Old 23 October 2007, 04:49 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Northants Subaru Located Just off the A43 between Silverstone and Towcester with easy access from Milton Keynes, Buckingham, Oxford, Banbury, Rugby & Northampton
Old 23 October 2007, 05:04 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Hi Az, i too haver recently bought a type r v4 and live in hertfordshire!! lol - I plan to get my cambelt done @ Perfect Touch in Hoddesdon - have you used them before? Ive used them for years.

Was also thinking about a roger clark oil pump too, wounder if its a big job to change?
Old 23 October 2007, 05:46 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mocom Racing - Performance car and trackday products
Old 24 October 2007, 07:03 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for the links etc, I'll give the above companies above a call to see what they're prices are.

mozzaITA- Hi mate, Great cars eh! Thats a very good point about Perfect Touch, I have a mate who is very good friends with Claude (or pronounced 'Cloud') so I might have a word with him, cheers for that.
Old 24 October 2007, 05:28 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

NO worries, its Claudio, hes italian like me........ What part of herts you from?

Good guys down at perfect touch, just is pricey and bills sort of mount up if ur not carefull!

Az - Let us know what sort of quotes you get im thinking of doing the same.

Cheers
Old 24 October 2007, 05:47 PM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see, sorry, didn't know he was Italian, never met him or been over there.

I live in Hemel Hempstead, I take it you live over Hoddesden way?

I'm not using the scoob at the mo, so not in a massive rush to get the cambelt changed, well I will once I start using it properly, but its in storage at the mo, so when I start to ring around properly for quotes I'll let you know what I get quoted, in the meantime if you have any decent quotes let me know!

I think I'm gonna get a full hog service at the same time, all belts changed, all fluids changed and oil pump at be on the safe side.
Old 24 October 2007, 11:32 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Yeah i live in hoddy aka little italy lol - I think im gunna wait until new year to go full hog service belts etc... planning to use my scoob less if i get a job up london.

Cool Az speak to ya soon
Old 25 October 2007, 04:10 AM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rigga
I think Len at subaru4u is close to you in newbury....... not used him personally but there are plenty who will reccomend him,main dealers for a car that age is a waste,there are plenty of good independant subaru garages that know a lot more about these acrs and give a better service

Subaru4you - an alternative to main dealers
I'll second that - Len did my cambelt a year ago. Superb service, really knowledgable team - it'll only take them a few hours to do a full cambelt service and change all your fluids. Definately worth the trip to Newbury - great prices too.
Old 25 October 2007, 07:01 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate, I'll definately bare Subaru4you in mind.