Tracking, WILL THE GOVERNMENT PAY

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2002, 03:20 PM
lcha
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi

There were some road works near where I live, about 4 weeks ago now. Someone laid a pipleine in the local roads. The thing is they must have used breadcrumbs instead of tarmac because it has started washing out and the level of the tarmack has started to drop, probably about 2 inches (it is starting to become a trench) and is not nice to drive over. I am going out to take photo of this and plan to have my tracking done on Saturday.

My question is. Who to register this complaint with and who to show the photos and invoice to for the tracking.

Gut feeling tells me that I am wasting my time, but it is about time someone was held accountable for the shoddy work that is carried out on our roads. After all I pay my road tax and get taxed on the fuel I use.

Can anyone give any advice, anyone claimed and what was the outcome and are there any legal bods out there who can know of any road traffic laws that state the road must be in an acceptable Condition. It,s a bit of a larf really, when they have just spent thousands on the town centre to widen the pavements and set lights into the path to light up trees and walls ect.

Cheers
Lee
Old 09 January 2002, 03:25 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

dont think you need to go that far.

I went over a bump in hampstead and burst a tyre. I wrote rang the council (barnet) and they gave me the address of which council department to go to. I met with an official on site, and had the cost of my tyre refunded to me after some correspondance. It was made clear to me that there was never any doubt my money would be returned.
Old 09 January 2002, 03:31 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

It shouldn't be any different to tripping over a hole in the pavement and claiming from the Council. Find out who is responsible for the upkeep of the road and do what Adam did. Take pictures of the road and your car in its damaged state. If you can, get a report from the people who sort the tracking out for you explaining why it needed fixing. If it gets to letters chuck in words/phrases like "negligence", "duty of care" and that should scare them into dealing sensibly with your complaint
Old 09 January 2002, 03:38 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

City or District Council will be responsible. TRy looking up something like www.hants.gov.uk (replacing the hants bit of course) and you need to find a link to the Higways part.

Old 09 January 2002, 03:51 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Hi lcha,

The only problem I can see that you might have is if the council did not lay the pipe in the first place. It may have been one of the utility companies that laid it. In which case you may find it a bit more difficult to get compensation.

But I hope you get it sorted.

Cheers

Gazza
Old 09 January 2002, 04:10 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

ga33a,
You sound like you work for a Council .
Let them chase the utility company and Icha should chase the council.
Old 09 January 2002, 04:43 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

You'll get the money

I was driving from Bracknell to Guildford and passed some roadworks by Woking - now they'd been there a while but a huuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeeeeee pothole had developed just over the crest of a bridge - I couldn't see it so hit it. Finished my journey only to discover it had shafted my tyre and it was bulging. Got the tyre replaced next day and went back to photograph the pothole. They'd chuffing tarmac'd it by then [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Anyway - I complained to the councils highways/transport department with a copy of my receipt for the tyre, and they said the roadworks were contracted out so they would have to get in touch with the contractors as it was their responsibilty and liability insurance I would claim off. The council sent my letter to them and a few weeks letter got a cheque for the full cost of the tyre from the contractors - with a non admission of guilt type statement.

So, get in touch with the council who should provide you with details of the contractors that did it and claim from them. You have a very, very good chance of getting your money back
Old 11 January 2002, 12:49 PM
lcha
Scooby Regular

Victor Meldrew voice on.
I DONT BELIEVE IT

They have only filled it in. It's a good job I took photos. Whilst I was doing that a bloke came out of a local office and said he had been complaining about it. He must have rung the council and stitched me.

Well I have the photos and will be going to my local tyre depot tomorrow. I will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers
Lee