Sponsored by:

What to go for next?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 10:17 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Over the last five years I have had three different Scoobs with my current being a MY00. This is a company car and is due for replacement in about six months time. Trouble is our company has changed it's car policy to only being allowed to select from Ford, Vauxhall and wait for it Renault (HELP!!!!!) so I am ducking out of the scheme (I may also seek alternative employment in the next twelve months anyway, but that's another story).

Trouble is I can't see myself driving a new Impreza, I've had a lengthy test drive and in my opinion while it has it's merits it's a different car to the previous model. It's also pig ugly which I know shouldn't matter, but for some reason it does.

Now I am lucky enough to also own an Elise which I love, but I wonder whether I might be best selling it and then buying a cheap runaround for general use and going for something as exotic as a fun car.

Will I be able to go back to driving a 1.6 Golf type vehicle every day or am I now so used to the Scoob's performance etc. that I'll be forever frustrated. Has anyone done this and if so how did you go on?

In terms of buying something a bit more exotic for a fun car does anyone know a good resource for finding out about what to look out for/ where to go etc. when buying secondhand Ferrari 348/early 355's and has anyone any idea on the running costs when only used for say 5000 miles a year.

BTW I won't be completely Scoobless as my wife's MY99 will still be in the family so I'll still get my injection of Scoob every now and then.

Thanks in advance,

tiggers.
Old 11 January 2002, 10:20 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

only being allowed to select from Ford, Vauxhall
And what's wrong with a Vectra or a Mondeo?

Isn't the Clio 172 supposed to be good, and could you get that through your works company car scheme?
Old 11 January 2002, 10:28 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

How about the new Ford GT40?
Old 11 January 2002, 10:30 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

One of MG rover Z series? The ZT in black looks stunning
Old 11 January 2002, 10:34 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

VX220?
Old 11 January 2002, 10:45 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

The Clio 172 maybe a great car, but over the years I have driven a lot of Renaults (before the days of a company car I used to drive a lot of hire cars to and from our offices up and down the country) and I really have built up a pathological hatred of them. The early Lagunas were like motorised sofas and the switchgear in all Renaults looks like it's designed by Fisher Price so I'm sorry I just can't do it.

A GT40 would be cool if a little pricey.

MG's - no thanks. My wife had a Rover 220 Coupe for a couple of years. She became so friendly with the local Rover dealership through the frequent visits that were part of the ownership experience of this fine vehiclae that they are now one of her clients (she's an aco****ant) and that's no word of a lie.

VX220 - I already have an Elise, I don't want one that's been breathed on by the Masters of the Mundane.

I think it's fair to say that the folowing are out of the question:-

Any Renault, no in fact anything French as I don't like Peugeots or Citroens either.
Any Vauxhall - yawn
Almost any Ford - although a Focus 4WD 200bhp+ appeals if one ever comes along
Any Nissan - Skyline excepted
Any of those mundane little manufacturers that I can't htink of now (like Kia, Proton, Daewoo etc.)

I think I need to face facts - I'm a picky so and so.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 11 January 2002, 11:52 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Alfa ?
Old 11 January 2002, 12:13 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

BMW 330D Sport. But then I would say that, as I have one!!

Can't go far wrong with an Octavia RS really.
Old 11 January 2002, 12:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

IF the Focus Cosworth happens, it will be post 2003 when the new model is being engineered for 4wd from the outset....the current model doesn't justify the cost outlay as it was only designed for FWD - oh, and I shall be one of the first in the queue
Old 11 January 2002, 01:24 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Cool

By yourself a piece of junk car for a couple of grand.

It's a very strange feeling, but after the horrendous savings eating experience of the Impreza you get quite sentimental about a car thats worth < 1 weeks pay and cost's tuppence to run 'Oh dear it's broken, shame, off to scrappy and free-ads for a new one the next day'

I can honestly say I derive as much (in a different way) pleasure from getting 500 miles from a tank in my Diesel, never washing it or spending any money whatso-ever on it.
If you have the hurt of running an Impreza, living with any cheapo scrapper is a joy.

- And the money you save goes into a 'proper' play thing, mine lives in the garages and comes out on weekends / trackdays. Yum Yum.

Gary (Fireblade engined fun car + diesel tow car)

Old 11 January 2002, 01:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Excellent idea Gary - just like my 205 GTI 1.9 for sale in the "for sale" section at £1995
Old 11 January 2002, 01:36 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

I'm with Gary - i swapped an integra type-r for an Audi A4 avant diesel and a 205 race car.

I far prefer the a4 on the road - its not "fun" or "demanding" and its very very boring, but (in the south east at least), fast cars are pointless. I hated driving the 'teg on the road, it only made sense when you were trying, and the south east England road network is not (IMO) the place to try. The 50 - 55mpg is great, as is the ability to park it anywhere and leave it, etc, etc.

The pug hasnt been on the track yet, but I expect that it'll be as good if not better than the 'teg cause its more focused, and i'm less concerned as to what happens if i park in the gravel.

Only makes sense if you're looking at a track car though...

Old 11 January 2002, 01:39 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Tiggers - I went from a 290hp impreza to a BMW 330d and don't feel frustrated at all.

95% of the time the Impreza was a four door commuter wagon/Shopping cart/family car.....and the BMW is so much better at that side of motoring, and still isn't a slow coach anyway

For the other 5% of the time I have a fireblade engined westfield which is likewise SO much better at that side of motoring

I used to think my impreza was unreplacable - it isn't. Don't get me wrong, great cars, awesome A-B ability - but there IS life after scooby

Old 11 January 2002, 01:43 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far. Maybe I will be able to live without it after all.

With all this talk of Fireblades and ooking at the prices I wish I had a bike license, what's involved with getting one of those these days?

Regards,

tiggers
Old 11 January 2002, 01:46 PM
Reidy
Scooby Regular

I swapped my MY00 for a golf GTI earlier in the year and lasted 3 moinths in it. Now back in an impreza so I fear that to and from work in a slower car will be frustrating for you - I climbed the walls, pulling out to pass anything and taking an age.

I had a westie as well as the golf and loved it.
Old 11 January 2002, 01:49 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Funny, i was just going to add that what you really want is a (or a couple of) bikes.

Something a little bit bonkers for Sundays and trackdays, and something sensible for the commute. With your new diesel you can easily tow the barking machine to the track

Do a "direct access", four days for something like £350 (im just guessing at the prices, i got my license 12 years ago). And go and buy something like a Honda Hornet, second hand (because you _will_ drop it). Ignore everyone who says get something more sporty to start with, and unless you're doing two-up touring you dont need more than 600cc's to begin either.

All you need to complete the garage is a Laser 1