Sponsored by:

Would you buy an auto Impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2000, 07:44 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just read in Oct issue of Car (Singapore Edition)that the 01 Scoob also comes in 4-speed auto transmission, SportShift ala Legacy B4 RSK (i.e. buttons on the steering, plus gate at the shift column). A concession to the US market, I suppose, but would the purist buy this option? I always thought that manual is the only way to go for such cars.
Old 10 December 2000, 08:15 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I did - I have a 94 WRX auto and it works to good effect.

One advantage is the kickdown - if I kickdown whilst driving along, I immediately drop into boost which makes overtaking very easy.

Bear in mind that the current auto box is considered to be tougher than the manual one - the Australians use them for drag racing....

It is not all roses as transmission losses are inevitably higher but it is not as strange an experience as you would think

Thanks

Gavin
Old 10 December 2000, 08:35 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
I can't imagine driving an auto Impreza Turbo. It's a complete contradiction! Unless that is, I spent most of my motoring miles in a traffic jam. In which case, owning an Impreza Turbo is a complete contradiction in itself.

I'm led to believe that the latest auto boxes are much better than the older ones (non-Subaru) I've driven and the manual override is some compensation. But when in everyday driving I can't really boot it (most times) I try to gain some pleasure from trying to drive slowly but as smoothly as possible with the good old stick shift and gently with the twinklies.

On the other hand, rumours of a new-shape Impreza with steering-wheel mounted (manual) gear-change levers sounds irresistable!

Hoppy
Old 10 December 2000, 09:30 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

The steering wheel shift buttons are not rumoured. There is a photo of it shown. But it is still an auto transmission with a torque converter and the inevitable lag in gear changes will degrade performance to a certain extent. Unless you are thinking of a clutchless manual shift ala F-1 cars. But then the steering wheel alone will cost more than the Scoob, so dream on mate!

[This message has been edited by lokokkee (edited 10 December 2000).]
Old 10 December 2000, 09:45 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Not only have you got the torque converter spinning away power you will only have four widely spaced ratio's.

Most performance auto's are now five speeders and Audi and BMW have six speeders ready for launch. These boxes also have torque converter lock up in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th to eliminate losses.

Lee
Old 11 December 2000, 02:09 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Automatic? Yuck, I'd rather buy a Turbo Diesel Impreza.
Old 11 December 2000, 07:58 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

TD Impreza for one.....

My GF doesn't drive manuals which was the initial reason for getting one but it does the job quite nicely thank-you.

The point about the gearing is true but the car is only geared to 120mph max and thus closer to STi gearing than a UK car.

Adding a Link, MRT/Remus exhaust and a chargecooler may just compensate for the torque converter.....

It is horses for courses (it helps to be lazy )but remember the old saying "don't knock it till you've tried it...."

Thanks

Gavin
Old 12 December 2000, 08:31 AM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

I was under the impression that the Turbo (of which the WRX is a variant) only comes in manual version (at least the 97 model year anyway), hence it is heretic to introduce an auto model, didn't know there are earlier autos running around. How do you do traffic lights drag start then?
Old 12 December 2000, 03:11 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Autos are available in Jap spec WRX saloons up to MY95, the WRX wagons are available in auto form throughout the model cycle.
Export spec (i.e. AUS WRX) cars are also available in auto form, as long as the importer decides to do so. In theory, IM can offer an auto turbo.
The new WRX that comes with sportshift is the Jap version (i.e. 250ps). I believe the WRX that's on sale in Hong Kong, Brunei and Singapore are all to Jap spec.
I hope Subaru would offer a 5-speed auto ASAP, as the previous 4-speed badly needs another ratio.
Old 12 December 2000, 04:06 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Auto Impreza ?

Hmmmm to be honest its a tempting theory after a twice daily commute with a Sprung paddle clutch

In reality I'd probably hate it thou'

Mark

Old 12 December 2000, 04:57 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Don't even think about comparing the slushy crappo-box you get in the average family wagon to a well set-up performance auto. There are quite a few high-performance cars with an auto option: Supras (I have an auto one of these), 300ZX's, RX7's among others. Yes, the loss of a ratio and the power loss through a torque converter is noticable, but the trade-off is a far more repeatable performance. You may not have as much power as a manual variant, but you'll be able to use more of it more safely (from the cars point of view). Well designed, with a good manual mode (I know auto Supra's have this option) the auto, while never being as fast in pure terms as a manual, will in everyday use be almost the same. Add to this the added docility in traffic, and it rapidly comes to the point where you have to drive both to have a genuine opinion. Many people in our owners club went looking for a manual Supra, and ended up buying an auto after driving the auto and finding out just how good it was. If Subaru can manage the same trick with the MY01, don't rule it out just because 'It's an auto', go and try one. It may be completely horrendous, but then again, it might not.
Old 13 December 2000, 08:34 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

If its an Auto gearbox then the AWD system is different as well,
manual use a simple viscous diff (now LCD) while the Auto uses a multi disk and computer controlled system.
this should change the way the car behaves.
Old 13 December 2000, 03:02 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

The auto version has a torque split of 35:65, so more rwd bias.
Tried the sportshift in the B4, up and down changes are very smooth indeed and the manual function reacts very quickly. Kickdown is sensitive too. Only downside is the lack of a 5th ratio.
Old 13 December 2000, 07:07 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I tested a ttb Forester (240 bhp) with an auto box and cra**ed myself on most corners.
Having been used to slow in and fast out, if I caught the revs right (or wrong!) so that the box changed as I booted it, then I got phenomenal understeer.
Not my idea of fun.
I can see the point in a large CC engined car but no, I went for a manual instead.