ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY01 286BHP and 267 lb ft

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2002, 02:03 AM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well it is now new year and time to come out. With the help of NAM / Steve Lawson and Power Engineering the rollerskate can now sit in th traffic with the confidence to say goodbye to most of the competition.

I think the full APS kit is excellent. So smooth and quick 4.6 secs to 60mph.
Old 01 January 2002, 11:16 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Nice mate - got any pics?
Old 01 January 2002, 11:56 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good result mate.

Whats the full enginge spec, is it the same as Scotts UK300 as the figures are almost identical.

Cheers

Nathan..
Old 01 January 2002, 12:08 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Nice one mate

As Nathan said your figures are similar to mine. At a recent Powerengineering day i got 288bhp with 266lb/ft but was running slightly lean. I have now solved this(well Craig did) with a fuel controller and my latest figures are 288bhp with 264lb/ft

I've heard about your car through Craig and i do believe you have got APS exhaust, induction, front mount and a unichip. It sounds like a good package, I think your torque comes in earlier than mine too.

Scott
Old 01 January 2002, 12:32 PM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Cool

Max torque is at 3050 rpm. I think the phrase is
" Pulls like a train!! "
Old 01 January 2002, 12:48 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Here's an interesting graph.

yours is the solid line mine is the dotted

My line is a bit jagged because it was about my 7th power run when i was getting my AFR set-up and things were starting to get hot.

i will probaly get a more true reading at the next PE rr day in Jan,

Another interesting point : on the rollers my car was only pulling about 1.1 bar but when i got it back on the road it was up to 1.2

[Edited by RB5SCOTT - 1/1/2002 12:54:00 PM]
Old 01 January 2002, 02:44 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Scott

I only wish my last rolling road graph looked like that. Any chance of showing me what an MY01 should go like at one of the Kent meets if I come up from Sussex?

Nathan..
Old 01 January 2002, 02:55 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

No probs Nathan

I should be going to the Sussex meet on Sunday if you're about

Scott
Old 01 January 2002, 03:29 PM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Well

You just never know what is going to appear on the net, my power graph !!

The following was carried out on rollerskate:

1 x APS exhaust complete with a cast exhaust adaptor which bolts to the turbo. ( This has a sports cat and therefore will pass the emmission test but I have trouble with CEL 420 codes form the ecu.)

1 x top mount intercooler. (It is huge !!)

1 x unichip and 2 x-box (Forget about all the crap about boost control with the unichip, the new unit is spot on and reduces the boost nicely at 6,000 rpm + but like all modules you just need to know how to set it up. Thanks P Eng, the x boxes control the boost and the intercooler external water spray.)

1 x APS map the knowledge of 200 MY01's converted I believe.

This car achieve the above figures on optimax with the APS map uploaded / unaltered and has never been altered. (N.B The car has to be run on OPTIMAX or detonation will occur.)

This is the reason I purchased the kit from NAM a one stop tried and tested solution.

Bye to all GOLF owners (g)

Old 01 January 2002, 03:41 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry mate, i hope you don't mind. Will delete if you want

Scott
Old 01 January 2002, 04:45 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

Rollerskate, this boost module you are talking about, is this the external module that comes from Dastek and runs with the UniChip or is it totally different ??

Reason I ask is my own UniChip and Dastek Boost module is being fitted to my own car on Thursday so just interested to see someone thats done it already.... your the only one I know of so far.

[Edited by Richie1 - 1/1/2002 5:26:34 PM]
Old 01 January 2002, 06:07 PM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Riche

I assume this is on a MY01

The module I have fitted is supplied via NAM from APS in Australia.

This unit is different to the old unichip ( New unit has D15 as a model number.) It has more processing power and enables the use of auxillary control modules called "x modules" These are of a standard design which can be used to activated a intercooler waterspray motor or control the boost solenoid at differnet boost pressures across the rpm range. (The same unit is used but wired differently.)

As far as I am aware only one other unichip D15 has been fitted in the uk at this time and this is to the UK Unichips rep's vehicle. (unless you know otherwise?)

See also:

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wrx/my01/my01_unichip.htm

In my opinion you need someone who understands the MY01 ODB2 system and has a select electronic box, not that I am suggesting some unichips stations do not!!

I can only repeat, no hestiation, first time start, pulls like a train, 22mpg, what more could ask for. OK I suppose 320hp and 50mpg, well there is one APS upgrade left. (g)

Old 01 January 2002, 06:26 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

Na, its a Vauxhall Cavalier Turbo.... wouldnt touch them dodgy Imprezas (joking btw)

I know Dastek were ready to release the new UniChips soon but didnt realise it had been done. Mine is the older version but they are able to use a seperate Boost Clamp Module and also control Water injecion etc.

Boost Clamp sounds dodgy (especially if you read Power Engineerings site) but its not quite the same as they describe -

The standard (Motronic) ECU in the Vauxhall will cut the boost back if it reaches more than 1bar for a few seconds so that it keeps it within safe limits. Chipping the car does not remove this and so the only way to adjust boost is to remove this function from the standard ECU and pass it on to another one that can do it properly

The UniChip boost module basically clamps the voltage that normally tells the Motronic ECU that its running high boost.This allows higher than normal boost to be run but SAFELY. It doesnt take the limit off but simply raises the safety limit to anythig you want i.e. you could have the limit moved so it cuts the boost if it reaches 20psi and so keep the safety features intact

This boost module has its own 2.5bar Absolute MAP sensor and does away with the Motronic one. It is wired into the UniChip and allows boost mapping throughtout the rev range. The difference here between this module and what PE site says is that the UniChip DOES supply fully mapped fuelling and timing as its all mapped together.

The Motronic might see lower than actual boost levels but the UniChip sees proper boost levels and runs a suitable map for it so it wont run lean or rich.

Basically its like this -

Boost Module - maps the boost levels to anything you want at any RPM interval. The boost is controlled electronically and not mechanically

UniChip - This takes the feed from the engine sensors and boost module and runs the appropriate fuelling.

Hope this is still clear.... I have a tendency to run away with it

Old 01 January 2002, 06:40 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

Just been reading that site....

They havent changed the stuff on there since last time I was on. Your sure that its the new UniChip that you have ??

Its just that the older version I have (12 months old) can run water injection, dual maps, drive extra injectors etc etc etc..... everything that that site says.

I plan in getting the System 2C water injection for my car come April/May and using the dual map facility of the UniChip to run 1 map that HAS water injection and 1 map that DOESNT have water injection.

This means if the Water Injection fails (system problem or out of water) then the UniChip will automatically switch onto the more retarded map (non Water Injection Map) and prevent detonation. Once problem fixed it automatically "advances" to the Water Injection Map

The only thing I can see is that it says "APS have developed a new UniChip for the MY01 Impreza".

This might be a seperate thing from what Dastek are ready to release..... Are APS distributors for Dastek (cant see their name on their list) or are they making UniChips seperate from Dastek.... Dastek are still the makers of the proper UniChips

[Edited by Richie1 - 1/1/2002 6:49:22 PM]
Old 01 January 2002, 07:44 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

I hope you dont mind me asking Rollerskate, but how much does this kit cost? And why didn't you get a fmi?

Old 02 January 2002, 10:15 AM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

BTTT

Old 02 January 2002, 02:54 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Question

Great figures

I am not having a go but surely doing all that it would destroy the warranty wouldnt it have been easier and cheaper to have imported an MY01 STI and a better platform to have modded from ?
Old 02 January 2002, 06:51 PM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Chris

As you can see I had not commented on the Power Station incident up to now in this thread. Steve Lawson and I installed the unichip which was easy using the directions supplied by APS.

In my opinion my experience with Power Engineering lead me to believe that PE have a better understanding of the later ODB-2 systems and also have a select interface for the MY01. (Also better customer care.)

But this is my personal opinion.
Old 02 January 2002, 07:19 PM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Answers to questions raised in this thread:

Jamie Whitfield Question : Why not a FMIC and Price

Answer: After extensive research on the kits available for the MY01 there is fundamentally two levels of upgrade. They revolve around you deciding if you wish to keep the standard turbocharger. I wanted instant performance, no turbo lag and an engine that pull progressively from a low rpm. This is a wolf in traffic just floor it and disappear, I can only describe the experience as being on another level in traffic. Remember performance is related to the total area under the graph and not the max bhp.

Sorry I am not aware of the current price, I think it changes on the currency exchange rate. Contact http://www.newagemotorsport.com/ for the latest price.

Chrisp Question: I am not having a go but surely doing all that it would destroy the warranty wouldnt it have been easier and cheaper to have imported an MY01 STI and a better platform to have modded from ?

Answer: Yes it will void the warranty on related areas of the car i.e engine gearbox etc, “No free Lunch” I believe is the expression (g)

I should have imported a uk STI but 12 months ago this option to import a UK STI was not available. ( But today this would be the way I would go.)
Old 02 January 2002, 07:25 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

oi oi roller.... what about my questions ??

Old 02 January 2002, 07:49 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fair enough answer, with only a few posts I wasnt sure how long you have had the MY01. Sounds like a nice setup as well.

Cheers

Chris
Old 02 January 2002, 11:01 PM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Richie 1

You come on a subaru bulletin board and ask VAUXHALL questions, well I don't know much about the Vauxhall option but for what it is worth !!

As I previous stated the unichip module fitted to my car is a DB15.

This appears to be unusual in the uk since both unichip dealers had to install new software on their laptops to access this particular model of the unichip. (I believe this model is 12 to 14 months old. )

Boost pressure on the MY01 is controlled altering the frequency of the electric pulses applied to the electric control solenoid this opens / closes the boost pipe to atmospheric pressure therefore the pressure at the waste gate diaphagm increases / decreases which inturn opens / shuts the waste gate.

Therefore the MY01 Unichip X-box may not be usable on other makes. (I do not know, perhaps others could comment.)

The water injection used on a MY01 car is not an internal spray in the manifold but an external spary over the intecooler. (If you see the size of the intercooler I think you might agree that this is uneccessary in the UK until the summer. Summer being define as over 70 degrees, OK I know it is rare occurrence.

As for fuelling and mapping. The unichip will does not and will not replace a standard ECU it can only increase or decrease the fuel + timing at set rpm. i.e The standard ecu still controls the engine and then the signal is altered by the unchip after it leaves the standard ecu.

The APS kit uses throttle position to control the fuelling / timing variations to standard, this decision is hotly debated around the world, all I can say is look at the power graphs and ride the machine I have NO problem with their decision.

Not all the answers to your questions but the best I can do.

Old 03 January 2002, 01:19 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Richie,

APS get their Unichips from Dastek. There is a link to Dastek on the APS site.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 04 January 2002, 01:39 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

Chill Roller

The question was general Unichip info as I was confused when you said the new one can do this and that and the old one can do the same.

The Subaru boost control method aint that diff from the Vauxhall one.

It wasnt a "how to do it" kind of question, just a general Unichip question.

Old 10 January 2002, 09:18 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Rollerskate,
I'm interested in doing something similar. I already have a full decat & up-pipe on my 01 so would look to do the other bits. How can I contact Steve Lawson? Mail me off line if you prefer.

Cheers DT
Old 10 January 2002, 11:27 PM
RobWhite
Scooby Regular

Hi

MY01 was at power eng last week and recorded 277bhp, I will list the mods.

Full Scooby Sport Exhaust
Chipped ECU

I have added a Induction kit today, anyone have any idea how much of a gain I might get, it def feels more responsive but then again my car feels quicker if I clean it.

Any suggestions what next, I def need bigger brakes + I want a cheaper option for the suspension, do I go for Springs. Cant afford the whole Leda kit.

Rob
Old 10 January 2002, 11:40 PM
rollerskate_01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Interesting BHP, what was the max torque at ? rpm.

The APS induction appears to be worth 10 bhp but that is with the ECU calibrated for additional fuel. (Suggestions from Cobb is the engine will run lean with this mod.)

Old 01 February 2002, 03:41 PM
ShaggyMan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Roller Skate,

These threads make very interesting reading.

When we spoke at the last Portsmouth meet, you mentioned that Powerstation had installed your UniChip and then waved the white flag when problems occured on the set up.

Are you suggesting that it is better to purchase a Uni Chip and get Power Engineering to install it and do the set up?

Chris

[Edited by ShaggyMan - 1/2/2002 3:42:39 PM]