Newbie Help

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2007, 08:31 PM
steve7474
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Help

Hi all
Just picked up my bog standard 95 sti,and was wondering should i fit a induction kit or just replace the old filter with a sports one.
what dump valve should i go for and im looking at getting a new back box, but i dont want it to be over the top loud, just a nice rumble
Cheers
Old 13 May 2007, 08:49 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

I'd go for something reasonably MAF friendly, something like a Green cotton panel filter. Does just a good a job as a whole induction kit, until you get to around 400bhp.

As for exhausts, if you do any motorway miles you'll be happy if you go for a Scoobysport exhaust. Im really happy with mine, sounds good when you want it to and shuts up on motorway journeys :0
Old 13 May 2007, 09:55 PM
steve7474
Scooby Newbie

Thankyou ollie for the advice
Old 14 May 2007, 04:10 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

welcome fella. as above, you dont really need to mess about with an induction kit, a good panel filter like a k&n green cotton etc would do a similarily good job. unless you go front mount with your intercooler.

you might find that during your stay that many on here dont like dump valves, but each to their own. i and a few others have them, so dont let a few over-opinionated fuddy duddies put you off.

exhaust wise, and decent backbox brand should sound good. do a quick search on here, as it depends totally on the sound your going for. i wanna wake the dead, but thats a personal preference.

andy
Old 14 May 2007, 02:47 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

I heard that dump valves, although not fully proven, are thought to be a cause of pistons melting ie ECU cant cope with sudden air fuel ratio change, makes the mixture too lean.....something like that anyway!
Old 14 May 2007, 02:50 PM
AllTalk
BANNED

Dump Valves should be Dumped in the Bin - not good for the engine and make you sound rather silly - but thats my fuddie duddie opinion.

Forget Induction Kits they will leave you with a bill for a new MAF and all kinds of troubl.

BackBox, something quiet for long journeys, a Ninja would do the job.
Old 14 May 2007, 03:35 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllTalk
Dump Valves should be Dumped in the Bin - not good for the engine and make you sound rather silly - but thats my fuddie duddie opinion.

Forget Induction Kits they will leave you with a bill for a new MAF and all kinds of troubl.

BackBox, something quiet for long journeys, a Ninja would do the job.

pete your really getting to be a boring repetitive **** now. wait until your pslweis account ban is over and then annoy/humour/entertain/upset/wind us up from the single account. your spoiling many threads with all this bull$hit now from your various aliases. are you going for an all-time banning record or what?
Old 14 May 2007, 07:47 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
I heard that dump valves, although not fully proven, are thought to be a cause of pistons melting ie ECU cant cope with sudden air fuel ratio change, makes the mixture too lean.....something like that anyway!
Had the some of the above problems with my dump valve,thinking of getting rid.
Old 14 May 2007, 08:17 PM
STi5_TypeR_VLtd
Scooby Regular

My Type R came with Forge VTA but it was not fitted. Still off the car but I read that it causes over fueling rather than going lean - air not recirculated as with stock dump valve thus ECU expecting more air than it gets and overfuels... mind you my car pops and bangs a bit anyway due to the full decat Scoobysport system I also heard that as the VTA dumps all intake pressure it takes longer to get back on boost again the turbo has to rebuild the manifold pressure each time - sounds sort of true ...

The Type R is using a green panel filter which is fine, only munched 1 MAF in the 3 years I have had the car and only 1 in the 2 years prior to that (previous owner is a mate).

Rob
Old 14 May 2007, 08:50 PM
steve7474
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the advice, went out today and ordered a green cotton replacement filter, still dont know about the dump valve though
Old 23 May 2007, 08:25 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve7474
Thanks for all the advice, went out today and ordered a green cotton replacement filter, still dont know about the dump valve though
Try it without for a bit, get the exhaust sorted first. Youll notice that you can start to hear the standard recirculating dump valve.

Last edited by olliecampbell; 23 May 2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 23 May 2007, 01:17 PM
ScoobySteve74
Scooby Regular

went and got a new back box (remus) its ok but im going to change it for a h&s full system and have picked up a new dumpvalve too, not fitted yet
Cheers again for all your help
Old 30 May 2007, 09:46 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve74
went and got a new back box (remus) its ok but im going to change it for a h&s full system and have picked up a new dumpvalve too, not fitted yet
Cheers again for all your help
The H&S (they did make the scoobysport systems at one point) will be good. Great guys out there, got mine fitted for free and they managed to squeeze me in before i went on holiday too.

Try it without the D/V for a bit, see how the car drives, mpg etc etc, then if you really want try fitting it and compare the difference.

Once youve got the exhaust and air filter on you might want to try a quick ECU reset too.