Sponsored by:

P1 is going - 330D Arrives

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2001, 04:55 PM
paulmon
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Well, Thursday is going to be a sad day. I have finally given in to reality. The P1 goes and the 330D Sport arrives. A number of different circumstances have thrown me down this route, primarily the implications of running the P1 next year after I have opted out of the company car scheme.

Currently the P1 is a ‘Company Car’ bought buy the company of which I am one of four partners. Due to the new tax laws starting next April it had been decided that the most cost effective solution was to own the cars. This meant I would be responsible for the cost of running, insuring and maintaining the car. An allowance would be made for all business miles. The top and bottom of it was that if I was to run a 330D instead of the P1 then I would be about £400 per month better off.

A number of other reasons just add fuel to the fire. My wife doesn’t like driving the car so my initial plan of sharing cars to keep the mileage at reasonable levels goes out of the window. Currently I do about 25-30K per year and she does less than 8K, so I planned on using her car from time to time. The fact that she won’t drive the car means that I would end up putting around 90000 miles on the P1 over three years.

I have only owned the P1 since March when it was bought new. Since March I have done 20000 miles, been through 3 lip spoilers, 2 front bumpers, 1 rear spoiler, 5 Tyres, 3 services, about £4000 worth of fuel and 6 penalty points and have lived in constant fear that some ****** would either vandalise the car or even worse break into the house while I’m asleep and steal it. For the most of this time I have thoroughly enjoyed owning one of the most effective point to point cars ever made, but sometimes I just want to potter about which is impossible in the P1, sometimes I don’t want to feel every pebble that I run over or be worried about stone chips or having to park at the other end of the retail park just so I wont end up with little dents in my panels. This is a case where the bad sides outweigh the good sides of the car. If I had the money then I would have one on my drive as a second car that I could just jump in when I fancied it, but I don’t have the money so there.

It was good while it lasted…….
Old 18 December 2001, 05:04 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to heat that Paul.
You must be gutted.
Save some pennies and join the fold again soon.

Jas
Old 18 December 2001, 05:14 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

I have a fair bit of sympathy for you...

After selling my integra i'm picking up my A4 Avant turbo diesel bus on Saturday. It makes total sense - economical, comfortable, insurable, I'll be able to leave it outside and, most importantly I can tow my 205 to the track

But its not exactly the same as having an integra type-r in the drive...

oh well

Old 18 December 2001, 05:20 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry to hear that Paul...

What are the new company car rules you talk of?

he says panicing...

I run my own company and my MY96 is a company car... at the moment anyway.

Any help appreiciated...

The 330 is a lovely looking car and if it drives as well as it looks then I am sure you will enjoy it...

ho ho JGM
Old 18 December 2001, 05:26 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Sorry to hear that you've come to that decision. I was in the same boat this time last year when I sold my STI 5 TypeR V-ltd to get a 330D Sport. Sure, you'll miss the ground covering ability of the P1, and it's point to point prowess, but you'll soon be revelling in a heooouge wave of torque and 40mpg.

Believe me when I say that the plus sides to 330D ownership more than make up for losing the Scoob. I would not go back to a Scooby now having owned the 330D. If I was to buy another car as my main vehicle, it would be another one. No questions.

Matt
Old 18 December 2001, 05:30 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Welcome to the world of quality mate.
Old 18 December 2001, 07:04 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

AARON re quality

I thought it was the case that there had been a number of problems with the 330D and reliability?

Aside from tinny build I dont think a Scoob is any worse reliabilitywise than a BMW and yes I have owned one (a BMW) and will be owning another(not by choice) in about a months time (as second car). One things for sure BMW interiors really do show their age after v few miles (although they dont rattle).

Old 18 December 2001, 07:48 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Just for info... my work car is a 330D SE Touring....
Just a few comments!!

Dry weather handling is excellent... Grip good too, even on the standard setup.... Straight line acceleration in the gears probably same as my MY01 UK WRX Wagon.
Steptronic gearbox is a total waste of time, and probably brutal to economy. In 25,000 miles, I have NEVER seen better than 35mpg... and I drive like an old woman...

How about 224 bhp and (*gulp*) 520NM torque??

Looky here
http://www.cdi-diesel.de/englisch/e-index.htm
Old 18 December 2001, 07:50 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

^^^... oops forgot the link thing....

P.S.

I'm not defending the 330D.... Just think it's a great motor.

I'd rather swap my WRX wagon & 330D for a P1....
Old 18 December 2001, 08:03 PM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

..sorry, just re-read the post about quality & reliability...

My 330D has had the following problems over 25k miles....
1... Central locking relay gave up (not stranded)
2... Immobiliser developed a fault (stranded!)
3... Leaking sunroof (shocking, especially at 900 quid extra!!)
4... Bit of aluminium interior trim popped off

OK, maybe partly understandable as it was one of the first (Tourings) to be registered in the UK... but you don't expect a £33,000 vehicle to have faults like this. So even "quality" cars can fail & leave you cursing.

Mind you.... I still love it!! Would still choose it again!!