Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2000, 12:37 AM
HUNTY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrived this morning.

All prices include vat.

Recaro sport front seats velour/alcantara to match rear seats £1995

Exclusive leather in blue black and grey, includes back seat to match looks awful.£1995

Prodrive 330mm brake kit £1527.50

Prodrive P1 rear silencer £350

18in' Prodrive O.Z. wheel and tyre in gold or titanium £450

Hella gas discharge driving lamps £470

10 different Hi-Fi combos plus sat nav.

tick all the boxes for your £40,000 P1

Kevin.

Old 17 April 2000, 01:16 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

Oh mucking farvellous!!!!!

Weren't the brakes, silencer and lamps originally listed as "standard" options on the pre-launch publicity

I can't see what a prodrive rear silencer does on it's own that a Scoobysport one won't do - I have one on my current car and I'm sure Pete could fit it to a P1 if I take up my option.

Brakes - what a giggle, surely they should supply the larger brake kit as standard on a car costing £31,495. This, along with the 22b steering rack, was what we were all led to believe at it's much hyped launch.

The P1 lights are surely better than any OE set on an Impreza, but I am not technically minded enough to see what costs £470 for the upgrade option

Whilst I have not yet had the opportunity to take a P1 for a drive - dealer not living upto JD Power survey - I will not be taking up my option unless there is a significant improvement over my standard MY98 that warrants parting with 31,495 of my hard earned spondoolies.

Looking forward to receiving my pack, test drive, approval to buy if satisfied (brownie point overdraft at moment), and christmas if IM don't sort their bloody life out.

Yex
Old 17 April 2000, 01:53 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The P1 does come with driving lights, but the gas Discharge ones are a different thing all together, they are true Xenon Discharge lamps, not like the Xenon bulbs you buy from Halfords, they run with transformers, at 20000 volts startup and then drop off to a lower power for standard running, all the rally cars in the WRC use Gas Discharge lamps becasue they are SOOOOOO much better than anything else.

The P1 will also come with a rear silencer, although i suspect they have designed another one as an add on

I think the prelaunch stuff said a quick rack it didnt actually mention the 22B one, unless i am totally wrong about that bit.
Old 17 April 2000, 02:49 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Wink

On the subject of the quick-rack steering system the comparison test in Autocar showed 2.5 turns lock to lock for the P1 and then 2.4 turns lock to lock for the Evo6. This made me a little confused as they slagged off the P1 steering feel against the Evo - does the AYC system on the Evo have this much positive effect?

If the light option offered is as good as the lights on a WRC car then they might warrant a look, glad to know that these might actually have added value rather than added depth to the pockets at prodrive.

Still waiting for my info pack/test drive......and xmas

Yex
Old 17 April 2000, 04:18 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

I have seen some of these lights on a car, and they are much brighter than Cibie or Piaa driving lights. They should be much more than this proce also, but i suspect they have allowed a trade in value against the original lights as fitted as standard.

IMHO they are well worth the 470 quid as an option, only thing i would check would be the cost of replacement bulbs/lenses ????
Old 17 April 2000, 06:23 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Spoke to my dealer this morning and they cant say when I shall get my P1 ... Spoke to Subaru UK and they just palmed me off back to the dealer ... Like others, once I have driven it I will decide on whether I take up the option, otherwise STI III _or STI IV for me
Old 17 April 2000, 07:47 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

It looks like being a great car, and most of the options seem reasonable, APART from the brakes which make no sense and really seems like profiteering. Of course all P1 owners will want the upgraded brakes as standard, you dont buy such a vehicle unless you`re an enthusiast who wants the state of the art.

Prodrive/IM are a bit naughty with this sort of thing. The RB5 had a similar thing with performance options etc.
Old 17 April 2000, 10:07 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

The car I drove on Friday had the brake upgrade kit fitted and I ordered the kit today. It is awsome and IMHO well worth the money.If any of you guys want to know what the cars relly like just mail me cos I was thinking all the things you were and now it all seems worth the wait!

Old 18 April 2000, 04:56 PM
JohnH#2
Scooby Regular

Just a note of caution (unfortunately showing my naivety/optimism). The 18 inch alloy prices are per wheel ie £2000 a set.

All options are fitted by dealers and available at any time, not just when ordering.

Leather is horrid. Options video is full of geeks who appear to have no personality what so ever, but car looks great.

John
Old 18 April 2000, 06:11 PM
HUNTY
Scooby Regular

I have to agree, the video is great of the action but the subaru/prodrive people are not comfortable behind the camera. Obvoiusly better at their day jobs.

For £2000 for the set of 18in wheels I hope you get the 17in as well!

[This message has been edited by HUNTY (edited 18-04-2000).]
Old 18 April 2000, 06:40 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Wink

I would hope so too, hunty

I wonder what the going rate for a set of 17" P1 Alloys is...

hmmm
(scratches chin)

Old 18 April 2000, 09:42 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Yex

I believe that they would of offered the Big Brake Kit as standard (with a slightly higher price), but that would of had to pass homologation and added to the already long wait.

Reference the video. I'm not sure the guys will apply for a job presenting the Big Breakfast. They could of done with Stef driving the P1, rather than the balaclavad Grandad. Hope the rest of the P1's get the same sympathetic treament

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 19-04-2000).]
Old 19 April 2000, 08:12 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

ditto climate control & 18inch wheels.
All the above Prodrive apparantly wanted to fit as standard but couldn't

Ro
Old 19 April 2000, 09:45 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

Watched the video last night, not too bad except for the ability of Prodrive staff to work to the camera.

Oh, and Ed Swatman's wig

Yex

[This message has been edited by Yex (edited 19-04-2000).]
Old 19 April 2000, 10:09 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Didnt they have Mike Wood driving the car in the video, if not thats a bit stupid, he can really show a car off to the maximum ?
Old 19 April 2000, 09:17 PM
Greg
Scooby Newbie

Like all of you, I wait impatiently..... Toying with the idea of going to Quedgeley to help bolt the Prodrive bits on !
Brake upgrade should be standard on this flagship model IMHO- how can Prodrive say it beats the Evo on this issue. Quick 13:1 rack would have been welcome too, as per pre-launch Press info ( Subaru brochure didn't mention this ) but current brochure confirms 15:1 ratio as per standard Turbo. Autocar gives 2.7 turns ( Evo 2.6 ), so at 13:1 this would presumably be 2.34 turns. Standard Hellas not so good as PIAAs - inferior reflector size / wattage, but GDL lamps should be as good / better. As Ian says, replacement cost could be toppy - especially without covers to protect ! Finally, I wonder why the Prodrive exhaust box is better than the STi item fitted ? Bet neither sound as good as my Scoobysport !
I agree that some form of "do" hosted by Prodrive would be most welcome.
Old 19 April 2000, 10:46 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Greg

After driving the P1 I would say its fine witht the rack its got. Its the same as all the STI's except the 22B and V Limited. Not sure I'd want it faster.

The Prodrive Backbox fitted to the P1 is different to the Performance Pack exhaust. It is a deeper note, without the woosh of the old unit. I'd reserve judgement on the Prodrive vs SS. My own guess same sound, but SS slightly louder.

Maybe we could start an Scoobynet front spoiler/ PDI team and pick up our cars from Quedgley

Jonathan
Old 20 April 2000, 08:13 AM
Greg
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Jonathan

Thanks for the info and reassurance on the steering. I guess I should now rest easy until I drive the car and draw my own conclusions. Here's hoping we'll soon see transporter loads of P1s leaving Gloucestershire !

Greg

Old 20 April 2000, 07:45 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Be patient chaps..................it`s worth the wait and stop quibling about extras cost etcc and order the brake kit. IMHO the big wheels look the bizz but wont make £2000 worth of difference.
Regards,Arron
Old 21 April 2000, 11:12 AM
RobMac
Scooby Regular

Gents...

Re the Steering Rack Issue

The P1 HAS got an STi steering rack, NOT a standard Turbo rack.

Although the gearing is the same as a Euro spec. Turbo, all of the linkages and bushes are of a higher spec., meaning the steering feel is improved over the Euro car.

Prodrive tried a 'Quick Steering' rack (13:1) as fitted to some STi's, but found that with all of the other mods. done to the car it became too twitchy and nervous to drive comfortably.

As I have said before on a number of accasions on this BBS, DO NOT compare a P1 with an STi, they are VERY different cars built to a different spec. for different reasons.

Cheers!

Rob.
Old 21 April 2000, 08:11 PM
Greg
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Rob

Thanks for your further info and reassurance on the steering issue. I understand what you are saying. It's sounding better all the time, and I really am looking forward to the drive. I promise I will not mention the matter again !

Greg