Sponsored by:

bel550 laser on M1

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2001, 08:31 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

i joined the m1 from the m42 today behind a large lorry and in front of another large lorry, doing about 60. suddenly the bel550 goes off "laser" "laser". gosh thought I wots that smell in the car!!!
first time its ever gone off on "laser".then i looked up into the rear view and there are plod sat behind me in there shiny van.
no offence commited so they just drove on by.
so i can confirm the bel550 does work on laser.
However i am a bit puzzled too as further up the M1 near woodall services it went off again once, then again on the way home southbound on the m5 about a mile from J1 west brom.Any one else picked up any laser readings with no evidence of plod about?
Old 13 December 2001, 08:47 PM
Doogsy
Scooby Regular

Goes off quite a lot on motorways
Something to do with fog detectors(?)usually mounted on bridges gantries etc
Doug
Old 13 December 2001, 08:49 PM
mattski2
Scooby Regular

yeh, my 550 goes nuts on the M40...
Old 13 December 2001, 10:18 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

My Bel550 scream LASER everytime I pass Edinburgh airport, from Newbridge Roundabout.

Crapped myself the first time it went off cause I'd always blasted past there before I got the detector There's some traffic stuff at the side of the road and think it's due to that. No idea what it does though.....
Old 14 December 2001, 09:35 AM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

They also go ape (screaming Laser) when my mobile phone rings. Took a couple of times for the penny to drop but it's def' the phone.
Paul.
Old 14 December 2001, 09:53 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Also, mobile phone refreshing sets it off, and shop doors everywhere, and petrol stations, and random houses, hard braking too, and fields of sheep as well, and sometimes it even goes off when approaching a Gatso

It is good though, saved my butt a few times, but clever me, going through Leicester, turn the bloody thing off cause its on constant beep mode, and next thing, getting done for 50 in a 30, 4 points and £135!!

So leave it on if you can.

Also serves as a great wake up call, like when you're cruising along, in that long drive comfort, when suddenly it just goes off, that immediate BEEEEEP, then "Laser......Alert", need it loud too, cause have the radio blaring away, better than 3 cups of coffee.

Old 15 December 2001, 10:27 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Wink

Favorite laser story from RAF family member.Traffic unit parked up on cliff road,well known for speed related accidents.As he takes his readings he inadvertantly points it out to sea.The reading suddenly goes off the scale.Lights flash,buzzers sound.He is just thinking about how many points this will fetch when a Phantom jet screams in at low level heading straight for him.At the pilots de-briefing it turns out the jet's computer picked up the beam as a hostile scan and went into attack counter measure mode.On high speed,low level exercises a lot of the flying is done by the computer.I bet if the pilot had been a Scooby owner he would have missed the over-ride button and put it down to "Friendly Fire" Ooops scratch one traffic car.The stuff of dreams.