Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attitude ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2001, 12:37 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been having a read of your BBS as I intend purchasing and Impreza of some description next year, I must say that the posts are generally constructive and lack the bad attitude I have seen on other car related BBS, I was reading on one about the Wilmslow Cruise (my home town) and one of the contributors warned about the residents near the car park where they congregate and how they may protest, the next contributor said he would take the baseball bat, nice. Im not a killjoy, just old enough (31) and wise enough to want to enjoy my motoring without stress !

I currently have a Volvo 850 T5 which is fairly quick and attracts hardly any attention, I fancy an Impreza but am concerned that they seem to incite other road users into daft tricks and the criminal fraternity into a frenzy.

Do you guys get any aggro just for owning an Impreza ?, dare you leave it anywhere ?

Also I realise that a standard Turbo will be quicker from a standstill but once its moving (ie in the gears) will it be MUCH quicker than the Volvo given the similar power output or do I need to get a higher output model ? (Currently doing the reading)

Regards

Mark

Old 30 November 2001, 12:44 PM
Ellis4779
Scooby Regular

Smile

Had mine now for 7 months..

Touch wood, no attempted theift, no police harrasment and the odd very occasional boy racer who doesn't wanna race but just too see u put your foot down..

Ultra reliable, fun to drive etc.

Pete
Old 30 November 2001, 12:48 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mark,

The main thing about Scoob ownership is the fun factor. They are just Grin machines.

I'm not to worried about leaving my car. You just have to be sensable (SPELL CHECK PLEASE) as you would with any high value motor. Plus have some good security installed.

I have never had anybody react in a negative way cos I'm driving a scoob. Most people just point and smile.

The only negative thing is you will want to do loads of track days, to really learn how to use your car, whicmeans loads of up grades. So depending on where you live sombody like Mr Trouser or Pete C will be rubbing their hands.

Have fun.

Ian
Terzo 33
Old 30 November 2001, 12:52 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I suppose that they are in admiration as everybody knows what they are now (Since Gran Turismo 1)and they know they havent got a hope !

I see where the comments about Passats come from (earlier thread), I saw one Muppet line up against a Aston Martin DB7 in his TDI 115 and go for it, to be honest it did quite well until the chap in the DB7 had clipped the end off his cigar, lit it, smoked it and put his foot down.

and BMW 330 Drivers, shirt in the back window, always a shirt and tie (Paul Smith) aiming the car with one arm at the top of the wheel and a mobile lodged under the chin.

Old 30 November 2001, 12:52 PM
Jenz
Scooby Regular

Hi Mark

I have had a Scooby (UK300) for 3 months now and I must say I have had a lot less trouble than when I owned a Golf GTi. Most people just want to admire the car and dont try to give chase (since they probably know they are on a loser to start with!). Go for it!! Jen
Old 30 November 2001, 01:05 PM
steve_s
Scooby Regular

To be honest I had more trouble with my SRI Cavalier than in the scooby..
I've had it for a year now and not been stopped by police or attempted theft or vandalism.
I am careful where I park it though.
You do get Lots of attention & people looking at the car though..

steve
Old 30 November 2001, 01:11 PM
ga33a
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Mark,

I've been driving scooby's since 1997, now on my third. I've not suffered any incedents where people get the hump because I'm driving a scooby.

I've only ever been stopped once.

And as for people wanting to race you, well It doesn't happen all that often but Beamers are a favorite. I've had everything from minis through to porsche's wanting to "have a go"

Don't forget, you can choose whether or not you wish to co-operate. It's often funnier to watch someone fly away from the lights, wheels spinning, Max Power sticker shining whilst you just move of normally.

You've nothing to prove

Get one, you'll never regret it.

Cheers

Gazza
Old 30 November 2001, 01:18 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Im Convinced, Will have to convince the missus, when we bought the Volvo we looked at the Turbo Wagon (Have kids and dog) but it wasnt big enough.

Will have to keep the Volvo and replace the old Peugeot 309 hack, not sure about running costs of two Turbo monsters though, at least normal Unleaded is cheap at the momnt !

Old 30 November 2001, 01:32 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

The first time you try to accelerate out of a corner, you will realise the difference between the T5 and the Scooby.
Old 30 November 2001, 01:52 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

David RB,

I know what you are saying !

have resorted to cheapo tyres after destroying decent ones in 6000 miles, Star Millenium at £50 each, dont feel guilty wrecking them and as it prefers straight lines than corners it doesnt seem to matter what you put on, the power always gets the better of them

I cant really tell the difference between the cheapos and the Pzeros I had before, but then again the Pirellis seem to get a slagging on here, cant say I was impressed, had Pirellis also on a Metro GTI some time ago and that nearly killed me, bad combo

Old 30 November 2001, 01:57 PM
JASON H
Scooby Regular

Smile

MARK i brought my wrx01 in jan i had a strikt budget which meant icould only afford a second hand uk car so i decided to self import through a freind just up the road from you in siddington i love the car it was well worth the wait and the best value for money ive ever had totaly reccomend one mate. JASON
Old 30 November 2001, 02:21 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah,

I know Siddington, on the road to Congleton isnt it, cracking road that at the right time of day !

Any other Cheshire based owners ?
Old 30 November 2001, 02:28 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Hmmm, tuff one T5 vs Scoob in gear. Not gone up against one but have a lot of respect for them. Wanted a T5R before I got the Scoob. The Scoob just sticks to the road and the grin never goes.

Have you looked at the SIDC FAQ. I read the whole thing back to back. Printed it out, bound it and took it fishing with me.

P.
Old 30 November 2001, 02:33 PM
JASON H
Scooby Regular

Iknow a couple of owners in cheshire. I live in biddulph youve got the sqires brothers yocsall brothers and 2-3 other owners "scooby city"
Old 30 November 2001, 02:49 PM
Disco
Scooby Regular

Mark you'll love the Scoob, have you test driven one before?

Can vouch for the top end speed of a T5, it was after getting blown away by one that I felt the need to uprate the cossie I had at the time
Old 30 November 2001, 03:06 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

No havent had a go of one (Apart from my Silver 556 BHP WRX in GT3)

Wouldnt mind a test drive but dont want to mess the dealers about
trying a new one as I cant afford new one (Not yet)
and I dont know any owners, though my cousins boyfreind has a Terzo apparently so I may pester him next time I see him, My dad has had a go of it and said it was "fairly brisk", my dad isnt given to over enthusiasm about anything and has a Honda fireblade which he describes as "Pretty quick", He described the Audi TT as
boring !

Have driven loads of quick cars, quickest being a 911 Turbo in Switzerland last year, trouble was it was wet and I was hungover so didnt give it any stick (darent) but you could tell it was a monster. V12 Etype, Big Wing Cossie, Fiat Coupe Turbo but no Impreza yet.

Old 30 November 2001, 03:12 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Have been reading the SIDC FAQ, very Proffesional !

All I could ever need to know about Scoobies (plus more)

Ill get Christmas and family ski trip out of the way and then start pleading with the missus !

Using a bit of Psycology here, Ill say I am getting a Bike, R1, Blade or something similar and then th Imprezza will seem like a safe bet !
Old 30 November 2001, 03:24 PM
Roger The Cat
Scooby Regular

Talking

JFDI p you won't regret it!

Old 30 November 2001, 05:19 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Mark,

Bought mine 18 mnths ago, never been pulled. Always careful where I park, after a car jacking attempt in Eccles. Most people just seem to want to look over your motor. BM's and Vectra seem to think they can make you race, let most of them past, let them get stopped, then you have your fun, which the Scooby is, always. Only down side is the plastic surgey after the first month or two, to remove the new smile induced crease's from your face.

Get one you won't regret it!
Old 30 November 2001, 05:39 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Impreza is a way of driving.

Excellent driving position.
Peculiar vibration due to the non-perfect balance of the boxer (180) engine
Low center of gravity for the same reason above.
And unknown ability and securiry on virtually any surface.
Abnormal fuel consumption.
Best Performance/Price Ratio. (The feeling you get looking the faces of somebody on a porsche in the wet when you are passing him is HUGE!!)

Impreza can become a way of Living!!
Old 30 November 2001, 05:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Mark
Hi there,read your post
A few comments
I have had my car for two years, i do around 30K a year and leave my car in all sorts of car parks around the UK. I hbave a disklock which i use religiously. I do make a point of parking as carefully as i can- in view of CCTV, under a lamp. I Have done this with every car i have owned so no change there.

Touch wood - my car has not been touched.

There have been some horror stories about owner having thier cars taken. Sadly, the criminal fraternaty consider the Scoob a top getaway car! This is a sad fact of life for Scoob owners.

I rarely get 'raced' it is usually merc or passat drivers, middle aged and trying to relive their youth(?). I let em go, i know my car is damn qick and i have nothing to prove!

The thing is - every timne i get into my car and drive it, it put the biggest smile imaginable on my mug!, i love it. It is probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

I am not prepared to let the criminal fraternity put me off, Having said that i haver not been put in that position. My Scooby ownership hAs bben great, i have met some top people and had a laugh!

As far as tyour Volvo goes, We have a C70 GT coupe at work, I understand TWR 'did' the suspension, 250BHP engine. It sounds great and it is a fab grand tourer. MY Scoob leaves it for dead, from a standstill, top end, through the gears and the twisty bits. Compared the the Volvo, the Volvo feels flabby and uncommunitive. Putting 250BHP through the front wheels is not an ideal combination.

I am talking about the old shape scoob, i have an 1999 model, never driven the new shape.

There ya go, braindump over.

Paul

[Edited by Paul Habgood - 11/30/2001 5:44:57 PM]
Old 30 November 2001, 05:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't comment on rating against a Volvo. But for attracting less attention I suggest you get a 5-door (there is stuff all difference in the handling unless you are R Burns) without gold wheels (dons flamesuit) and POSSIBLY get rid of the bonnet scoop by converting to a front-mounted intercooler, though conversion plus bonnet can be pricey. Get one in silver or green, not red, white or blue. I am also of the low-key approach, and that's what I intend.

Oh yeah, don't wash it and put a garden fork and wellies on the back shelf

BJH
Old 30 November 2001, 06:06 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Got a 5-door, don't get much hassle at all. Doesn't seem to attract too much attention from behind. I used to think about disguising the front a bit more but to be honest it doesn't seem worth it.
Old 30 November 2001, 11:12 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for all your helpful comments, if the cars are as good as the responses on here that will do for me !

Will keep a close eye on the BBS and let you know when I get sorted !

Cheers

Mark
Old 02 April 2013, 09:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aww, my first post on SN under my original username, couldnt spell my own name and 12 years on I still have never owned a Scoob.
Old 02 April 2013, 09:50 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy thread resurrection
Got me ya bugger

Last edited by wrx9181; 02 April 2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: 2001 ffs
Old 02 April 2013, 10:16 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Aww, my first post on SN under my original username, couldnt spell my own name and 12 years on I still have never owned a Scoob.
Well what you waiting for??? Get a move on :-D:-D:-D