Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

new shape and uk spec snobbery against old shape/imports

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 01:41 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have seen several new shape imprezas over the past couple of weeks and am not impressed by the drivers attitude. I wont start an arguement about peoples opinions on the new shape impreza, suffice to say i will NEVER be trading in my sti5typeR for one as they look terrible (in my humble opinion)

However the tradition of acknowleging a fellow impreza driver seems to no longer followed by these new shape drivers, instead they have an aloof type attitude and that all older cars are old hat.
I'm assuming that all the imprezas I have seen are 'official' cars. To a lesser extent, with 93-2000 cars I have also noticed that depending on whether the car is official or not is also a guage to acknowledgement. Fellow import drivers I have had no adverse reactions from. But I cant say that uk spec owners share a similar attitude.From what i have read and seen the official owners seem to always hark on about their 3 year warranty and subaru servicing, at the same time forgetting that they are bog standard compared to imports, esp. STIs, and quite often much lower down in the power and performance stakes.Top of the range imprezas like the p1 and rb5 are very similar to sti and wrx models yet several k more expensive,why?
I didnt have to wait 7 months to pay for an over priced under spec'd impreza, why should they?
I am not writing this to have a go at uk specs but to express the opinion that import owners are different from uk spec owners. This may be due to silly antics of subaru uk and their snobbishness

[This message has been edited by scoobynutta555 (edited 09 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 02:19 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

It may be that they are not aware of the older scooby and the following we have.

Im sure many owners of the new version have moved from the original shape, but the new car seems to have been directed to a different / more mature market. It looks less of a hooligans car and I reckon Subaru are capturing a new market.

Just a thought...
Old 09 April 2001, 02:28 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bennetm:
<B>It may be that they are not aware of the older scooby and the following we have.

Im sure many owners of the new version have moved from the original shape, but the new car seems to have been directed to a different / more mature market. It looks less of a hooligans car and I reckon Subaru are capturing a new market.[/quote]

I agree - In fact I know a lot of people think that the whole flashing/waving thing is either a)really weird or b)really sad!!! I'm sure a lot of the *new* Impreza owners will have no idea about the following the *old* shape has had....

Matt
Old 09 April 2001, 02:43 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Think the problem might be that some new-shape owners are not 'enthusiasts' like us, which is what subaru UK is after, and thus they don't know about the secret flash/wave (ooh, it's just like the freemasons!)

New shape, Classic shape, Import, UK Spec, or other, I still flash and wave, and I don't mind too much if I don't get a response.
Old 09 April 2001, 02:53 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I drive a UK car, not getting into the debate abouts whats best(a scooby is a scooby), and I flash or wave at every scooby I see new, old or import. I find around where I am that most of the time people do not return the compliment. Its a bit of a laugh, whats up with these people, they drive a cult car with a cult following, we all share our enjoyment of it so why not.
The other day though, I had a wave back from a MY01 car with a fortysomething driver, so the message is getting about!! He was driving a X plate 01 in the really dodgy foresty green colour......
Old 09 April 2001, 03:58 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

The problem is nothing to do with old shape/new shape snobbery - you have been flashing Toyota Corollas.......
Old 09 April 2001, 04:01 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL@Dave!!!

It's an easy mistake to make.....
Old 09 April 2001, 05:25 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Angry

TOP - i think you're talking BOLLOCKS!!!

i've never met any owner who thinks his car is better than an import - most only buy the UK spec cause they don't need the hassle if anything does go wrong....

Old 09 April 2001, 05:34 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

i have a my01 new shape wrx and i certainly flash any other scoob i see on the road. gotta be nice to ya "bruvvas" aint ya !

my car is no better or no worse than any other, its just evolution of the species.

Old 09 April 2001, 05:53 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Ive just asked some finance company to get us a quote for the 'new bog eyed monster', (due for a new car in 9 months or so) but I'm now scared that i may become a snob . Saw 1 today (WRX),looks ok from the back, not too sure about the rear wing though but the wheel arches look great. I think that the car looks a little high in its stance or is it just me? any one know if a headlight conversion is on the way?

as to 'new age' drivers attitude, there are only a handfull of jap spec cars in the country at the moment so give em a blast at the lights and watch there faces change from to
Old 09 April 2001, 06:05 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

scobbynutta555,

i have just got a my01 and will happily wave to any other scobbys. I ride bikes and have waved to them for years, i even nod at pizza delivery bikes from my R1!

i like the old shape, i like the new shape. I had to get new because its a company car and now ive got it (soon to be ppp'd) i'm very happy.

HOWEVER, if i new it was you coming the other way id probably ignore you completly- as you think my car looks horrible and is well down on power and not from japan imports r us and etc etc (does all this really matter that much?) why should i wave at you?

tiggs
Old 09 April 2001, 06:09 PM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

Hi Vaughan

I agree with bennettm. i think the new shape will attract a different person (as well as the enthusiasts).

I wave/flash every scooby. I reackon on about an '80%' success rate and i don't mind if i don't get flashed back. I like it because it makes you feel part of a big scoooby family
Old 09 April 2001, 06:22 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Got me a new WRX and am definitely 'old school' Subaru nutter. Just could not justify the price of a P1 but have since ordered a UK STi7 so that arguements knackered!!

Must admit, pulled along side an old shape in Derby last Monday night, looked left to acknowledge and he made a deliberate point of ignoring me! Charming.

If you have a Scoob, I will wave, but I do agree you may get people buying the new shape who would not have considered the old. Dont know why though, I still prefer the looks of the old, but flared wheelarches are nice. Just the headlights to do now. And brakes. And seats. And suspension. Or just wait until Christmas and start fettling with the new one! P1, £30k, seems like a bargain to me.
Old 09 April 2001, 06:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Well I wave at every Scoobie I see and have the chance to - sometimes your hand is on your ****, changing gear!! and you havent time to respond!! these imports are so, so, so, much faster than our UK cars Also the import boys have so much more equipment that they are probably trying to download the results of their last wheelspin and 'g' forces from the on-board computer to notice ANYONE at all!

Even though I know that a UK 5-Door is THE scoobie to have I wouldnt know the difference between the others coming towards me - hence I wave to all and sundry!

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 09 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 07:35 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you are a latecomer to the world of scooby's ( as I am ), you wouldn't know that the flash/wave was de rigeur.
I didn't realise until friday, when I got the wave from a P1 in Wimbledon ( which was returned ). I must have seen half a dozen round Kingston since then (all old shape).. no response to the wave, so it ain't just us scooby newby's !

Cheers,
Steve

MY01, DBM Wagon
Old 09 April 2001, 11:29 PM
Luke
BANNED

Waving?????Now I understand... Gold wheels,pink badges. 4.inch back box.........

Anyone want to by my scoob????!!!!
Old 10 April 2001, 12:45 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Well jza,I would be happy to send you details of my car if you post your email address, in the meantime look out for this car, although you will only see the rear.
I didnt want this to turn personal, however i will make an exception in your case.
The jap spec wrx new shape is £14,442 and 247 bhp, the uk spec 'wrx' is £21995 and 215 bhp as far as i know.These figures might be wrong and would be happy for some1 to correct me. I'm sure the price increases are not all differences in taxes and shipping costs!
I would love to buy an official subaru, but i will not be hoodwinked into buying something that is inferior and more expensive than what Japanese customers purchase. If an official owner wanted to improve performance and handling etc of their car, more than likely they would have it pppd and spend bucket loads of cash to try and get it near levels of an sti, so youre spending more money on a car that is already overpriced that most likely will not be as good as std sti.
So instead of trying to catch me up so i can see you "giving me the bird" you should be giving subaru uk the bird for pulling your trousers down. At least ive had the ***** to stand up to official dealers and import my own car, cheaper than your my01 wrx or whatever it is.And no, i wont be trading in my car for a new shape, im sorry to upset you, but i hate the look of the new car, it looks mundane and boring, and with power and handling specs lower than sti, it is a sheep in sheeps clothing, and the owner (you) is suffering from foot in your mouth disease. As i say it is my opinion, just like people dont like my car. Meanwhile i hope you change your profile to include email facilities and learn how to spell wasting, unless you really mean waisting!

[This message has been edited by scoobynutta555 (edited 10 April 2001).]
Old 10 April 2001, 08:17 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Anyone know roughly how many Scoobs (old, new, hot Jap., cool U.K. etc) on the road in Britain now?

My guess is that as the car has dramatically gained in popularity and availability, it's exclusiveness has fallen so much that many Scoob drivers don't even know about the waving thing.

Rich

BTW I bought my UK spec for my reasons, you bought your import for your reasons.
Snobbery doesn't come into it in my opinion...
Old 10 April 2001, 09:36 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I've wanted a scoob for ages.

I would call myself an enthusiast.

I've ordered a MY01 as I intend to keep the car for ages (I couldn't afford to chop and change) and because of this I wanted the most up to date shape. Plus it looks the dogs with a big wing on the back, has better interior, better handling and improved brakes.

Steve
Old 10 April 2001, 09:44 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I have been a scooby owner for 5 years now. On my 3rd car which is now an import. It used to be that everybody flashed and waved but now it seems abt 1 in 10 actually respond. I think as somebody has already said, scoobies are now quite common and there isnt the exclusivity there used to be. Import drivers seem the worst to me actually. I continue to wave etc but ownership has lost the 'club' type feel. Still love the car though.
Old 10 April 2001, 10:50 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scoobynutta555:
<B>I have seen several new shape imprezas over the past couple of weeks and am not impressed by the drivers attitude. I wont start an arguement about peoples opinions on the new shape impreza, suffice to say i will NEVER be trading in my sti5typeR for one as they look terrible (in my humble opinion)

[This message has been edited by scoobynutta555 (edited 09 April 2001).][/quote]

How can you start off a thread about our snobbery by slagging our cars off!!! Great start buddy - had a look in the mirror today and wondered if attitudes like yours isnt helping matters?

Jeezus man - its people like you that started this whole "us and them" thing off!!! We both drive scoobies - we should be in the same boat but your attitude does nothing but p1ss MY01 WRX people off!

I always wave at the "old" car driver (joke ok!) so i reckon your well off the mark by painting us all with the same brush. Ive taken constant abuse from old car owners on this BBS and thought the tide was finally turning - each to there own and all that, and then people like you come along and post this kind of rubbish!!!

For the record most people i see in "old" cars never wave back at me!!!

I hope you enjoy your cuurent STI, but when you do buy an new shape (which you will if you tested one - its excellent - youll love the STI7 and so on) i hope a big bolt of lightning shoots you down!!!

Shame on you mate! Post me details of your car and ill make sure to flip you the bird if i ever see you on the roads!

Jza

Old 10 April 2001, 11:03 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DominicA:
<B>TOP - i think you're talking BOLLOCKS!!!

i've never met any owner who thinks his car is better than an import - most only buy the UK spec cause they don't need the hassle if anything does go wrong....

[/quote]
i must say DominicA that was a well reasoned response. I was really impressed with the intelligence and thought you put into that response, by the way i think you're talking BOLLOCKS!!!

Old 10 April 2001, 11:21 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Oooh

sensitive little soul

JD
Old 10 April 2001, 01:15 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Wink

Scoobynutta, go back and re read your first post. The word "hypocrite" springs to mind.
Old 10 April 2001, 03:26 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by GCollier:
<B>Scoobynutta, go back and re read your first post. The word "hypocrite" springs to mind.[/quote]

Yep mate - digging your own grave im afraid. You've slagged off a load of people, generalised us all into the same bunch, and now your ranting on about your car being superior when the original thread said that you thought us WRX new boys have a bad attitude.

Your thread wasn't about "my cars better than yours" but youve decided to turn it into one. Why not accept that they are very different cars, bought by people who have a choice and buy for different reasons. Neither are perfect, both offer fantastic performance at either price. And, as i said in MY thread, i wave at anything with a Subaru badge! Im not elitest or model-ist like you so obviously are.

I dont really care what you think of the cars looks. IMHO people like you make me sad to be a subaru owner because you bring the brand down so much.

PS Learn to spell "acknowleging" before critisyzzzzing me you low life!

Shame on you mate!

Jza
Old 10 April 2001, 03:39 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread but heres my two penneth worth:

I haven' just found this with the MY01 I found it with all new Scooby owners throughout the years. I would suggest that when Scoobyman (us) picks up his first Scoob he is unaware of the ways of the Scoob!

I don't think its to do with the car I think its more to do with the fact that they are a new generation of buyers/owners. Subaru are trying to broaden the appeal of the car.

Anyway lets all get along even if the new shape is about as attractive as a blind cobblers thumb!

SJD
Old 10 April 2001, 03:50 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Wink

Im a UK owner and along with many others, have big respect for the imports. You get more bits and pieces and more power Egor! Which is nice.

They are also a bit special due to the rarity of them, so lets all wave and be happy.

MB
Old 10 April 2001, 05:28 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

I think it is more case of the new model changing the type of car buyer that would consider an Impreza.

Yesterday i saw my first WRX actually on the road, and it was a respectable looking 55 year old. Not generalising here or anything but i could NOT see him in a Sonic Blue Sti with gold alloys. But he did fit a dark blue WRX, discreet, fast transport at a bargain price.

Okay, so it was only the first one i've seen and probably not enough to form an opinion, but i feel it does point towards another type of buyer.

They may carry the same badge, but the difference between a new WRX and a Type R is massive, they are fundamentally different cars that will attract different folks.

And yes, i did wave, and no - he didn't even notice me!

In the mean time, i'm still waving away like a good'n at every one i see!

Russ

Old 10 April 2001, 05:59 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

Scoobynutta

What a LOAD of crap. Ive owned various Impreza's Imports and Official cars. Imports are just as unlikely to wave and official cars. One thing I found in my time of P1 ownership was how few Imports would wave back. Never had the problem when I had an STI V. One thing is that if they are in SIDC, or on this BBS they will. But out of the 20,000+ Scoobies in the UK only about 10% are on this BBS/SIDC.

Jonathan
Old 10 April 2001, 06:34 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Whether it's Import, UK, STI, P1, 22b 1.8GL, I always wave and flash. But only if the other guy/girl starts it off. That way you never feel like a goon.

I started with a UK, have bought 2 Euro imports since, and fancy an STi next. Does this help?

Don't know whether or not the 2001 appeals to a new and different breed or not. Now that the new car is so civilised, it could appeal to an older/more mature person, as well as an existing Scooby fan who wishes to move on and buy the latest evolution of the marque. I bought one for the latter reason, although I suppose I fall into both catergories as I am getting old. 26 now..

Suppose the "comedians" amongst you would argue that the MY2001 appeals only to Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder, but that's another story.

Quick Reply: new shape and uk spec snobbery against old shape/imports