Newbie needs advise MY06 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2006, 11:22 AM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs advise MY06 WRX

hi guys,

i have a 54 plate clio 182 at the moment, and have been looking at a new car for a while. dont have a clue what to get. the only thing that takes my fancy is the My06 wrx.

i have about 16k to spend and have been looking at a euro import new wrx.

things id like to know. is their any probs with the uk spec imports apart from alarm etc....

what big probs occur with them, and would you advise to move to one after owning one yourself.

many thanks

Jamie
Old 15 September 2006, 12:38 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

no, mpg, yes.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:14 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Check to see if that 16K is an on the road price mate.

as i dont think they come with alarm, and undersealing, thats an extra taking the price up. plus, i dont think the warranty stands of you later decide to #ppp the car, i maybe wrong though

take a look at the resale threads of late, buy brand new and you will loose big style. I bought a UK MY05 WRX PPP for £21,500 in may last year, i cant shift it now for £13,000.

you loose big stlye. For 16k, why not look at a demo WRX on a 55 plate, or even an older STI, the insurance for me at 24 was only £180 extra. i regret buying the WRX now lol, but never mnd.

Or, if the money isnt an issue, just the alarm and locking wheelsnut, possibly underseal.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:51 PM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

yeah looked into the price, 16000. OTR.

i just keep thinking that if im going to spend 13-14 on an 05 wrx, i might aswell get a new euro one which i know the history of and how its been treated. (by Me) plus i like the new shape more than the other, theirs load of my 05 shape by me and no 06 shapes.

im just a bit put off by the warranty side of things. i dont plan on ppp, because when i put in for insurance, im 23 , no ncd. and the standard wrx was 1290, the ppp wrx was 1750, and the sti on 05/06 was 2490. which is a big jump.

but im fed up of the clio rattles, and its now a bit small.
Old 15 September 2006, 01:56 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

there are 55 plate MY06's at the dealers for that kind of money if your looking for a UK model.

but if you get an import, get the ice blue one, (WR1) colour, if they do it in that model, not sure what colours the MY06 comes in now
Old 15 September 2006, 02:20 PM
greerwrx
Scooby Regular

i looked, but they dont do the ice blue colour in the my06 shape.

that is a nice colour.
Old 15 September 2006, 02:47 PM
johnnyg
Scooby Regular

I got a Euro import MY06 from motorpoint for £15700 OTR..choice of colour and sigma alarm included...it's undersealed to uk spec.....

No problems with 3 year warranty....it's on the IM database, ....Checked with my local dealer and they tell me that they need to get permission to do warranty work from the supplying dealer, that can take anything from 1 day to 2 weeks, but they don't have a problem doing the work....they have done lots of warranty work on similar cars.....they are even happy to fit PPP and that wont affect the warranty.

I was worried about servicing and running costs, but they are no worse than the celica TSport that I had previously. 23mpg urban and 30 mpg on a steady long run....I've had it six months and the 1000 and 3000 mile services were £115 each at local dealer.

As far as the car is concerned..It's brilliant...Can't fault it..The only thing I've done is change the sound system.

Don't hesitate....buy one...you won't regret it.
Old 15 September 2006, 03:06 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with John ref the Euro Imports, exactly the same as the Uk version bar alarm, wheel nuts, mine was undersealed and it came from Malta, the only difference was the lack of side airbags on a Euro model, but saying that since buying mine in March I have seen 06 imports with them.

Mines WR Blue, if you do decide on a WRX give DR motorsport a call and they can sort your out with a replica STI spoiler but not a huge amount of money.

No regrets with an import on miy side but if your buying new you'll need to keep it for a few year sto lesson the depreciation#
Old 15 September 2006, 03:16 PM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi mate,

I bought my Euro 06WRX 6 months ago and i must admit it has been great, but there are some things that you need to know before you buy. The main issue is warranty but it isnt as bad as you might think.
Most Euro imports come from Malta and the service schedule over there states that the car has to be serviced every 3000 miles!!!!!!! I totally sh@t my pants when i saw this (after i bought it) but i found a way around it. The reason for the service intervals is the climate in Malta but since i dont live in Malta i E-mailed Subaru Malta and got confirmation that it only needs to be serviced every 9k from now on. Other things are that you dont get airbags in the seats but that means that you get the nicer bucket seats, you dont get locking wheel nuts, and you dont get an alarm but it is imobilised, but lets face it, when was the last time you went running towards a screaming car alarm shouting stop thief!
Although they dont sell the car in Aqua Blue at the main dealers in the UK you can still get it as a euro import, i can say this because i have one in that colour. I had to special order mine (at no extra cost) and wait a little longer but it is worth it because you get a little more exclusivity. The dealers are happy to service it and the insurance peeps class it as a UK car.
I think i have covered everything but feel free to ask if there is anything i can help with
Oh ye, i dont know where you live but i got mine from http://www.allbrandsnew.co.uk/
in Hull (250miles from my home) as many car dealers cant be bothered to order one for you but they did. You could also try http://www.alliancecarimports.co.uk/
last time i spoke to them they had an Aqua Blue one on the forecourt.
Hope this helps mate,
Ian
Old 15 September 2006, 05:01 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by greerwrx

im just a bit put off by the warranty side of things. i dont plan on ppp, because when i put in for insurance, im 23 , no ncd. and the standard wrx was 1290, the ppp wrx was 1750, and the sti on 05/06 was 2490. which is a big jump.

but im fed up of the clio rattles, and its now a bit small.
Are you sure about that insurance quote: who is it with and is it fully comprehensive? It cost me £1800 to get insured at 27 with 0NCB on a classic, which is in a lower insurance group than the WRX and that was with LV who were probably one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest insurers of Scoobies at the time (not so anymore regrettably).

Ns04
Old 15 September 2006, 05:06 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Are you sure about that insurance quote: who is it with and is it fully comprehensive? It cost me £1800 to get insured at 27 with 0NCB on a classic, which is in a lower insurance group than the WRX and that was with LV who were probably one of the cheapest, if not the cheapest insurers of Scoobies at the time (not so anymore regrettably).

Ns04

Classics are more expensive to insure than the newage in my case.

A UK turbo 2000 on a x plate, no mods was in excess of 2K for me to insure FC

My new MY05 WRX PPP was £900 to insure FC

go figure that one out lol. For the record. i was 23 with 3 yrs NCB and 1 partial fault claim to my naame, no points

john
Old 15 September 2006, 05:24 PM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Default interesting stuff.....

This might seem arrogant (or stupid even) but I could not be arsed to go via the Euro route. I have a dealer 2 miles from where I live and I bought a new MY06 STI PPP from them direct. Yep I know I could have saved some but I do get the fuel vouchers (which is not a bad way to save the money as it forces you to spend money on what you need - i.e. fuel - rather than on that second holiday, 3rd takeaway or 4th marriage )

I have never really been one to 'seek out that bargain' - but then again I'm not silly with money either (I know to the penny what real money we have available).

Mark
Old 15 September 2006, 08:58 PM
mike2.5subaru
Scooby Regular

Default wr1 blue

Hi, I'm sure I've seen an 06 WRX in a simular colour to a WR1. ask the Welsh guys. If your tired of the clio rattles, then road test a scooby because I've driven a 06WRX and own an 06STI and the both have some small rattles or creaks from the rear spoiler and dash, which you may find annoying.
Old 15 September 2006, 09:12 PM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike2.5subaru
Hi, I'm sure I've seen an 06 WRX in a simular colour to a WR1. ask the Welsh guys. If your tired of the clio rattles, then road test a scooby because I've driven a 06WRX and own an 06STI and the both have some small rattles or creaks from the rear spoiler and dash, which you may find annoying.
ONLY THING THAT RATTLES IN MINE IS MY GIRLFRIENDS JUNK
Old 16 September 2006, 10:14 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greerwrx
i looked, but they dont do the ice blue colour in the my06 shape.

that is a nice colour.
They do (its called aqua blue pearl) saw a MY06 one in ireland and my MY05 is in that colour so would expect if you get a euro import (Cyprus?)you should be able to get one
Old 17 September 2006, 09:38 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

i have a o6 wrx mate go for it i love my one
Old 17 September 2006, 09:59 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

I was in this situation 5 months ago. I know you say you like the 06, but i'd still consider an 04/05. I had a look (and test drove) the new import wrx but I wasn't keen on the wheels, rear lights and colour of the interior, but it did drive nice. I then found an 04 blobeye with one owner, 14k on the clock and FSSH for £4k less. The blobeye had nicer alloys, all black interior and better rear clusters (in my opinion), it drove the same too. I opted to save the £4k and buy a still newish car with warrenty still remaining.
Alternatively, if it's the front of the 06 that you like, why not check out the Seat range?
Either way, whatever Subaru you get you'll be glad you did it.
Old 17 September 2006, 10:04 PM
GreigRFC
Scooby Regular

I got this for 15k from a subaru dealer 23000 miles. Get a cheap private plate from dvla and you'll be sorted!

Old 18 September 2006, 08:59 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by markmarkymark
This might seem arrogant (or stupid even) but I could not be arsed to go via the Euro route. I have a dealer 2 miles from where I live and I bought a new MY06 STI PPP from them direct. Yep I know I could have saved some but I do get the fuel vouchers (which is not a bad way to save the money as it forces you to spend money on what you need - i.e. fuel - rather than on that second holiday, 3rd takeaway or 4th marriage )

I have never really been one to 'seek out that bargain' - but then again I'm not silly with money either (I know to the penny what real money we have available).

Mark
If i had the budget it would have been a UK Sti, but money is the key, and when your talking 10 or 12k more than a Euro WRX then its more than just the odd takeaway.
Old 18 September 2006, 09:19 AM
markmarkymark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by evil.soup
If i had the budget it would have been a UK Sti, but money is the key, and when your talking 10 or 12k more than a Euro WRX then its more than just the odd takeaway.
Yep - my comments were too 'simple' to represent all circumstances of course
Old 18 September 2006, 10:08 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Don't get the Scooby!!! Your Clio will be miles more fun. I found my STI boring so I can only imagine how dull a basically identical car with 60bhp less will be. Unless you need the load carrying ability I strongly suggest you get something small and chuckable like you have now. Don't forget you'll be using 50% more fuel which you should add to your 16k budget. These are expensive cars to own and a bugger to shift - even more so when the new one comes out in a year or so. Don't be seduced by the power, it doesn't equate to fun.
Old 19 September 2006, 12:31 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Oooooooooooooooowww Mary queen
Old 19 September 2006, 08:41 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Don't get the Scooby!!! Your Clio will be miles more fun. I found my STI boring so I can only imagine how dull a basically identical car with 60bhp less will be. Unless you need the load carrying ability I strongly suggest you get something small and chuckable like you have now. Don't forget you'll be using 50% more fuel which you should add to your 16k budget. These are expensive cars to own and a bugger to shift - even more so when the new one comes out in a year or so. Don't be seduced by the power, it doesn't equate to fun.
Boring, are you sure its not broken or something! Maybe he would be better off with a Corsa or maybe even a Nova which is even more echonomical
A clio is more fun, He He He!!!!!!!!
Old 19 September 2006, 08:54 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Have owned wee "chuckable cars" - tend to be tinny and will look like a crushed crisp packet after a wee bump !

Scoobs are great. The standard WRX is pretty quick rather than mind blowing, but there are plenty of things you can do to them performance and suspension- wise (as I did) ~ but then mine is old enough not to have to worry about a warranty ! And of course they do have that terrific grip.
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Have owned wee "chuckable cars" - tend to be tinny and will look like a crushed crisp packet after a wee bump !

Scoobs are great. The standard WRX is pretty quick rather than mind blowing, but there are plenty of things you can do to them performance and suspension- wise (as I did) ~ but then mine is old enough not to have to worry about a warranty ! And of course they do have that terrific grip.
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

uh-oh.
Old 19 September 2006, 02:42 PM
wilb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Don't get the Scooby!!! Your Clio will be miles more fun. I found my STI boring so I can only imagine how dull a basically identical car with 60bhp less will be. Don't be seduced by the power, it doesn't equate to fun.
So you are a Clio fan that didn't like his STI so got rid. Why do you keep posting on this site then? Especially with comments like that!
Old 19 September 2006, 07:11 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

"Don't be seduced by the power” that’s what I told myself when I went on a test drive in a 06 WRX , I was seduced in around 30 seconds , 29 of them seconds was driving out the car park…..

“Your Clio will be miles more fun” was that a joke
Old 19 September 2006, 09:37 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilb
So you are a Clio fan that didn't like his STI so got rid. Why do you keep posting on this site then? Especially with comments like that!
I am actually not a big fan of the Clio. Mainly on the grounds that it is French. I am just trying to point out to him that the Subaru has soo much grip and so much power that to be able to push it to the limit on public roads means driving it dangerously. His Clio is a very capable car and gets great reviews as a driver's car. If he thinks that a turbo and 4wd will make the driving experience more enjoyable then he is wrong.

In addition this guy has 16k to spend. He is clearly at the top end of his budget and he needs to be made aware that in 18 months time when the new car comes out his car will be worth sod all. It will have drunk petrol by the truck load and been considerably more expensive to insure and maintain than his Clio. And please, don't reply to this rational statement with the usual "you only live once" argument. I realise we live in a society where everything is paid for on the Never Never, but how about he doesn't spend his entire disposable income running a car whose performance is irrelvant 95%of the time on UK roads.

If you stick your foot down just about anywhere in the UK in a Subaru you will be breaking the speed limit by so much that if you are caught you are in serious doo doo. Buy a small revvy car and zoom about at licence-keeping speeds. The Subaru is so insulating that you never feel the speed. Look at the guy in the main section asking for advice on a 100mph speeding ticket - he probably felt like he was doing 70mph his car is so capable.

Forget sitting in the pub bragging how much bhp your car has. Buy a fun little car like your current one and sit there smug in the knowledge that you are having more fun than all the scooby drivers put together, and saving a big wedge of cash to boot.

Incoming!!!!
Old 20 September 2006, 08:48 AM
evil.soup
Scooby Senior

I agree on your point about getting yourself in trouble due to the car being so fast but i think you are missing the point of the car. As a rule it is owned by mature enthusiasts who have done the sporty little hatchback and left it behind. I dont want to screw my car to get the most out of it and i want overtaking to be quick and painless. To say that an Impreza is unsafe due to its grip is a bit of a contradiction isnt it? I find that 90% of the time i am more sensible in my scooby than any other car i have owned due to the fact that i dont have to screw it everywhere i go just to get a buzz. At the end of the day we all have our opinions and i think the guy that started this thread probably wishes he hadnt!
Oh ye, and im not an old man, im only 29
By the way, what car do you drive now?