Sponsored by:

JESUS HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2006, 07:15 PM
lumu05
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JESUS HELP PLEASE

Lads please some advice really needed,my sti type r just went bang on piston three im from ireland and i need it back on road "asap" do i BUY A NEW ENGINE OR DO I GET A REBUILD!!! whats quicker and whats cheaper how much for rebuild, where could i get an sti engine
Old 11 August 2006, 07:24 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

you might be able to get a engine from www.apiengines.com
Old 11 August 2006, 07:50 PM
hodgey001
Scooby Regular

£2500 if your lucky
Old 11 August 2006, 09:20 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Best is to get another engine. If you try to fix yours, you'll never get it right.
Old 11 August 2006, 09:59 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

It wont need a full engine. When mine went i got a bottom end for £800 and built it up with all my old engine bits. I needed some gaskets too but it worked out a lot cheaper that buying a full engine or rebuilding your old one

Last edited by leonpoole; 11 August 2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11 August 2006, 10:03 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I didnt know jesus was a member, but im sure he will be along soon with some advice
Old 11 August 2006, 10:21 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by lumu05
Lads please some advice really needed,my sti type r just went bang on piston three im from ireland and i need it back on road "asap" do i BUY A NEW ENGINE OR DO I GET A REBUILD!!! whats quicker and whats cheaper how much for rebuild, where could i get an sti engine
And SN said unto thee:

Speak to David at Api!

Ns04
Old 11 August 2006, 10:47 PM
Graphite
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I didnt know jesus was a member, but im sure he will be along soon with some advice
I'm one of his disciples...

I would suggest TEGSport near carnforth - I think they said £1000 or £1500 with STi bits in rebuild http://www.tegsport.co.uk/

Mick
Old 12 August 2006, 04:17 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus aint on this board mate, not as far as I know anyhow but we can help you.
OK so you need the car on the road quick. That really precludes an engine build because to do it properly you need someone who knows what they are doing, preferably with Scooby experience and then you need to get all the bits so from start to finish even a quick engine build is 2 or 3 weeks.
The cost of an engine build will depend on how much damage is done to your own and the labour rate for the rebuild. A major rebuild will cost as much or more than a replacement STi engine.

You can get a reliable second hand engine that will go straight in providing one is in stock from the likes of David at API who is a reliable, well thought of guy, fair and straight forward.
You may get this engine on an exchange basis keeping the replacement costs down.
You need some sort of guarantee with the engine and I know that David stands by all the API engines he sells.
Taking your existing engine out is less than half a days work and could be done while the replacement is on its way to you. Fitting the engine is a bit more than half a days work but in reality if you have the funds and get your skates on your car could be back on the road next Friday.
I don't know what your costs will be to remove and refit the engine but a good second hand STi unit may be around £1250 or a little more so it will cost you under £1500 on your doorstep with potential to save a couple hundred quid probably.

There is something else you could consider now you have had this calamity.
You could look at upgrading your engine with the fitment of a 2.5 lump. There are quite a few suppliers of new 2.5 short engines which are available for £1000 or less. You then need the short engine build in to a complete unit using your existing cylinder heads and ancillaries. As Mick pointed out above, Town End Garage (TEG Sport) are experts in this area and they may well have a short engine or even a completed 2.5 on the floor at the present time. The fact you have an existing damaged RA engine to exchange or use as the donor means the whole thing can be done pretty quickly.

Good Luck.
Let us know if we can help you further and what the final outcome is.

Regards,

Harvey.
Old 12 August 2006, 05:01 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

A brand new STi short motor is available straight from your nearest Subaru dealer for £1500. (that's block pistons and rods all ready built for you).
Engine out, a few extras (oil pump, cam belt, thermostat, water pump etc)
Slap your old heads on and put it back in..
I wouldn't be doing the second hand engine route or you mightbe back where you started in a few weeks...

Andy
Old 12 August 2006, 05:14 PM
Ipkis' Wifey
Scooby Regular