Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave Review, Fantasy Island Last night!

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2003, 06:56 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Jesus christ, this was the the most amazing night I've had for years or what? I've been to a few raves in my time but this was unparralelled in scale, quality and sheer enjoyment.
Me and my mate Davespice set off at around 2ish from London to get to skegness early. We usually arrive early, but there was a free pre-party before thew main event and we wanted to be there. The drive was okay, only stopping to consult the map and to tear a board advertising the event off an lampost for a souvenir. Still took three hours though. When we arrived we saw a huge queue for the main event so we decided to ditch the free party and start queuing., whilst avoiding the fireworks being set off in the carpark. As soon as we did the queue moved damn quick and we were in in no time. Door staff took our tickets and attached a green wristband to us so we could enter and leave the venue whenever we want. Security were hyper friendly and didnt even search us. Handy as I had two cans of redbull on me
Having been to FI before we knew the rough layout but the music arenas were in different locations. Priority #1 was finding the hardcore arena. Eventually we found it, a huge warehouse out the back of the venue. It was decorated with Vibealites amazing, yet slightly disturbing backdrops which I'd seen before, with enough lights, sttrobes, UV cannons and lasers to keep six raves happy, let alone one. It was obivious that the Vibealite boys had spared no expense. Although there were no tunes yet (it was only half 6) the light show was in full swing as the technicians tested the rig.
We wandered round the venue and to our surprise the set times were on a big board. In the past you had to buy the set times on a printed card. You could still do that, but there was no guessing where people were going to be playing and when. Respect to the organisers for giving us the choice.
Soon after we found ourselves in the toilets round the back of the hardcore arena, me to sort out my earplugs and dave to have a pre-rave forrest. However the bogs were exited at warp speed when the tunes started flexing. Dave and I tore into the hardcore room and Sy was tearing up the place. None of this warm up set crap, Sy was going full tilt straight away and Dave and I were loving it. Soon after, Sy's sidekick Storm took the mic, As Storm was hosting the hardcore arena down at the sanctuary in Milton Keynes, he was obiviously hardcore enough to do the early shift at Vibalite. Respect. Double respect that the first thing he did when he got on the mic was give us a shout. Geezer.
I'm afraid that My memory fails me (surprise surprise) as to what tunes he played, but I seem to remember Elysium being played, and although I'm not sure about it, I'm getting vague flashbacks of heart of gold too. I was loving it all, thats the main thing though.
The evening was already starting to blur at this point, but sets of note include Kaos For his nice mixture of happy hardcore and double hard as nails stuff (including Madworld, worth the trip in itself) Robbie Long's set was good as well. Cannot remember a single second of it though.
Soon after the 11pm meetup (with just enough time for a sly chip buttie for a very reasonable 2squid) I was starting to fade so I took all four of my caffiene tablets and washed it down with some more lucozade for guarenteed energy and longevity. Which worked. Jesus christ did it work. Not 45 minutes later I was charging round the hardcore arena like the bunny at the local dog track. Nothing was going to stop me now. Well apart from midnight that is. The place erupted as the coundown finished, however the shine was brought off it soon after by a girl collapssing and fitting down by the front row. Have to say a massive, massive respect to MC Wizzkid for handling the situation like a pro, stopping the whole damn rave and directing security in double quick to help her out, whilst keeping the rest of the crowd in check to let them do their work. Soon after she was on her feet and the party started up again as she went to the medical tent.
The party was helped back on its feet by two of the best stage dancers I've ever seen. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Vinnie is the best in the business at stage dancing. he goes harder than I can ever go for hours on end. How he doesent shatter every bone in his legs is beyond me. He was joined by a laydee dancer that was not only visually arresting (too say the least) but had the advantage of being unlike other female stage dancers by being a 100% hardcore stomper Going as hard as Vinnie did for as long as he did, all the time with a huge grin on her face. Its nice to see a proper female hardcore dancer who obiviously loves the tunes. Respects to both of ya.
I'm afraid I cant tell you who was playing at midnight cos I cant remember. However I'd been dancing since 7pm and it was past midnight so i went for a wander to check out the rest of the rave. The drum and bass arena was packed as Goldie was flexing out the tunes in a two hour set, didnt go in there though, it was too hot. The hardtrance room was kicking when I looked in there, but hardtrance is not my cup of tea so I moved on. The house arena was well produced but they were playing seventies tunes for some reason so I moved on. Then I found the Raindance arena. I have a big soft spot for Raindance as they know how to put on a party. Even though their arena was the size of a rabbit hutch with a very low ceiling, they had transformed it into a prpoer oldskool party venue. Minimalist decor and lighting, with aproximatly one **** load of UV, Stu Allen was on the decks and was pumping out classic after classic. Tunes like "far out" and "Injected with a poision" By Praga Khan set the tone and the crowd were loving it. It felt like a proper old skool party back in the day. It was a shame to leave. However there was one arena I wanted to find. Eventually I found the Techno arena in a bar near the entrance and Andy Techno was on the decks, **** me was he going fast. up around 220-230bpm IIRC and as always, a small but dedicated bunch of techno heads were on the dancefloor going for it. Would have been rude not to join them then
After this, and a lot more lucozade to extend my endurance still further, I went back to the hardcore arena and found davespice. He said that Stu allen was about to come on. I was thinking that the well known house DJ was going to kill the vibe, however, he took it higher than ever with a classic happy hardcore set which I loved every minute of. Tunes like "Discoland" and a few others I fail to recall had me rushing harder than at any other point in the night. Without doubt the set of the night. I made a point of letting him know that when I accosted him as he left. Sorry mate, but it was a good set.
The final three hours were composed of Sharkey, Hixxy and Breeze. Three different styles completely but each time the pace dropped a little, it was brought back with re-inforcements with yet another killer tune. Sharkey was first with another clas freeform set, Once again, not sure of the tunes, but I know he finished with "Get hard", then made the executive decision to move onto the mic with Wizzkid.
Hixxy was next with a trancier set, Not a big fan of the trancier side of hardcore but I did like the odd tune he was doing like the remix of "Set you free". When his time was up, breeze took the stand for the final hour. It was at this point that the worst part of the night occured. From what I saw, there was some random dreadlocked bloke on the stage who was hassling Hixxy toward the end of his set. Hixxy was not happy about this and told him in no uncertain terms. Security were called to the main stage but this bloke would not let it lie. He kept coming back to hassle Hixxy, at one point leaning accross the deck to make his point. The ravers were not happy either and started heckling the **** to leave the stage. IMO, security should have thrown the bloke out there and then. He would have lasted exactly 5 seconds pulling the same sort of **** in the Drum and bass arena, so why put up with it in the hardcore arena? However, for whatever reason, they didnt and he hung around on the stage, at one point staring directly at Dave and me. Not impressed at all, me and Dave stopped dancing and stared back at him. What a *****. If he's reading this (which I doubt but it'll make me feel better) then you're not hardcore pal, and you never will be. Get back to the RnB scene where aggro crack heads are more welcome.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Anyways, Breeze soon remidied the situation by getting back to the tunes for the final hour. And what a job he did too. Accomapnied by Sharkey and Whizzkid on the mic he tore the place to the ground with tune after tune which saw my hands in the air for more time than they were by my side. Sharkey saw this, which is probably why he called me and dave "a pair of scarecrows" Git
All too soon it was over though and we repaired to the motor to start the trip home. ablely helped by my good friends, Mr. Proplus and Mr. Redbull.
What a night out. I can honestly say I havent enjoyed myself so much for so long in a long time. The next rave I go to is gonna have to be unbelieveable to even have a chance of topping this one. This was without a shadow of a doubt the best night I've had in years.
Respect, as they say, is due to Sal and all the Vibealite crew for putting on the party of the year.
astraboy.
Shouts to: Davespice, Chedda, Ronin, Reepa, Miss Tc, Spencer, the girl who was with Spencer who I see everywhere but can never remember your name, Ravegirl, Si tripp, Chris, Sal, Sharkey, Storm, Vinnie, His fit Co-dancer,anyone who texted me from the sanc or other rave venues around the country and anyone else who I forgot. Oh, and the nice people at Holland and Barrett for making 5htp.

Old 01 January 2003, 06:59 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

You forgot to mention my phone call.

Sounded like as top night, wish I could have gone.
Old 01 January 2003, 07:05 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh yeah, quote of the night. Well its more like lesson of the night. A Cyber girl came up to us and asked if she could have a swig of my water bottle, I reluctantly agreed and handed it over. She took two sips and promptly threw up all over her hand and my bottle of water. I let her keep the rest
astraboy.
Old 01 January 2003, 07:08 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chelle, way ahead of ya. Cheers for calling
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=163163
Old 01 January 2003, 07:16 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Flippin 'eck AB,that's some review!

Thought I'd reply after all that effort as I've seen you complaining in the past that no one does!
Old 02 January 2003, 01:11 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dam right that was one hell of a writeup. Im gutted though when you do this astraboy cos you make me realise how much ive missed out. Bugger!!! Glad you enjoyed it though mate. They are the best nights out ever.

To all you guys and gals who go out drinking. You are missing the best parties ever. If you want a great night out with lots of emotion and fun, go raving, you wont regret it.

Scrappy
Old 02 January 2003, 02:13 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

davyboy - how old are you? Were you around for the rave scene in early to mid 90's? how do todays raves compare to the likes of early Universe and Dance Planet?

I kind of left the scene a few years back as the aggro went up and hassle started, sounds like it may have got better again?
Old 02 January 2003, 03:47 AM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

AB i need you to cut me some tunes please mate

OH HAPPY NEW YEAR

great write up glad you had a good time take it the guy never took the money for the coach