Large grin !

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2006, 07:03 AM
dashpig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large grin !

Hi all

Ok sorry if babble on like a 10 year old that's just had the best Christmas pressie EVER , but that seriously is what it feels like to me having just picked up my new baby (Red Classic + PPP) last night.

Having since that point used about half a tank of petrol - yup looks like i'll be joining the 200 per tank brigade quite soon - i just could'nt stop driving it last night and feeling that acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd OMFG - and the noise from my exhaust - who needs radio's/CD players in cars ??

Got up extra special early this morning to take a "special route" into work - only about 20 miles out my way, but who's counting ?? I'd also better NOT tell you about the M3 and Skyline experience either and on a first date as well

So large grins all round for the forseeable future - i'm guessing it never really goes away in reality - long term owners any views on that ??

I'm already champing at the bit for the drive home, which isn't for another too many hours ! although lunchtime's looking quite appealing. WHY oh WHY did'nt i take the damm day off from work today - note to self for when the STI arrives !

Now about those mods i keep reading about....

So all in all and sumnming up the last 15 hours ownership i can honestly say
oh and maybe some more but MOST of all

If everyone else in a scoob is having half as much fun as me - that's a lot of happy drivers !

Safe drivin now y'all !

Neil
Old 21 July 2006, 08:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you drive safely. Always make sure you allow the engine to warm up before using any boost and cool down before you switch off.
Otherwise you'll have a very expensive bill soon!
Old 21 July 2006, 08:18 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you drive safely. Always make sure you allow the engine to warm up before using any boost and cool down before you switch off.
Otherwise you'll have a very expensive bill soon!
And don't forget to fill the oil filter first when changing the oil! Oh and the engines are made of balsa so don't rag it. Also No 4 piston is made of cheese so make sure you use at least 105 ron petrol and a gallon of octane booster to a tank of fuel. You have bought (if you believe anything you read on here!!) a very fragile car mate that will blow itself up at the slightest provocation. Should have bought an evo mate.

Apart from that mate enjoy your new purchase...
dave
Old 21 July 2006, 08:38 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dashpig

Got up extra special early this morning to take a "special route" into work - only about 20 miles out my way, but who's counting ?? I'd also better NOT tell you about the M3 and Skyline experience either and on a first date as well
Take it the m3 and skyline left you then?

apart from that, enjoy your toy. Dont think about mods yet though until you are used to that. Should only take a few weeks!!
Old 21 July 2006, 08:46 AM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

had my classic 1 day b4 changing the back box
Old 21 July 2006, 08:46 AM
dashpig
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the above advice both

I am already well into the warm up/cool down routine - i'm acutely aware of what not looking after this car can result in from the stories on this forum - so thank you and duly noted

Running her on Optimax and will continue to do so, and yes just started reading the stories about no.4 cylinder/piston issues so another thing to bear in mind

Is it absolutely necessary to go with Octane Booster as well as running on Optimax ? apart from the obviously added oopmh what other advantages does it give you ?

Never fancied an evo - don;t know why just never have - nothing against them, just previous experience has been of Scooby's so stuck with them

m3 and skyline - hmmmm - they did have quite a head start though

/Calm mode on/

Neil
Old 21 July 2006, 10:50 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

I was actually being sarcastic mate!!!! I used to run my classic PPP on whatever was available and it ran fine, I also never filled the oil filter up when I changed it and it ran fine!!!
dave
Old 21 July 2006, 11:05 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I look forward to every drive in mine, no matter how short

Especially after having it remapped, might be of some interest to you? (post #106), oh and I have better wheels now - OZ Super Ts!:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...=492944&page=4

Not sure where you are, but this group buy is still ongoing - Powerstation are in Tewkesbury. As above though, get used to your car first but it won't take long before you want more.

Enjoy your new motor, and keep it safe.

Oh btw I only ever use Optimax, advised by Rich @ Powerstation who mapped the car. A non-remapped car is apparently fine on unleaded/super unleaded, depends who you listen to on that one tho!

You definitely don't need Octane Booster - only for non-remapped imports of certain years.
Old 21 July 2006, 11:51 AM
dashpig
Scooby Regular

Oh StiX you bad person - how dare you send me that information thanks very much !

Northampton's not far from Tewkesbury is it ? - why take the easy motorway route when it's so much more engaging to go across country - i REALLY must stop using that smiley - you'll all think i'm setting a bad example - which in reality just isn't true.

Mind you "bad" is such relative term

Yup safety another consideration - already got a disklock, tee'ing up a wheel clamp as well - can never be too safe imho
Old 21 July 2006, 11:57 AM
New_scooby_04

Welcome!

Enjoy the car, treat it well and you'll be fine, as for mods....dont get me started!!

Here's what my MY99 Classic now produces after a little work from APi and BRD!! ;-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4/cc60eb74.jpg

Ns04
Old 21 July 2006, 11:57 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No worries

Btw, before the remap I had changed the downpipe, panel filter and the car already had Magnex cat-back.

This as I found out was producing 230bhp, so about 10bhp less than yours (assuming yours has 240 of course).

After the remap though - wow, what a difference!!

Well worth doing. Much smoother, loads more torque and of course quite a bit more power
Old 21 July 2006, 11:59 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

Here's what my MY99 Classic now produces after a little work from APi and BRD!! ;-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4/cc60eb74.jpg

Ns04
Blinking 'eck Ns - 320 is that?

Are you running standard gearbox/fuel pump, or have you changed them?

What turbo also to get that - TD05, or VF?
Old 21 July 2006, 12:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by StiX
Blinking 'eck Ns - 320 is that?

Are you running standard gearbox/fuel pump, or have you changed them?

What turbo also to get that - TD05, or VF?
Yep, pretty much 320bhp and 320 ft lbs torque!!

Full info here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=527345

To answer your questions here, std internal and gearbox; they're fine at these levels with appropriate supporting mods and if properly mapped. I uprated the fuel pump and the turbo is the excellent VF35!

Can't say enough good things about APi and BRD. Advice, workmanship and customer care all spot on; the car is a demon mate!!

Ns04
Old 21 July 2006, 01:12 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yep, pretty much 320bhp and 320 ft lbs torque!!

Full info here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=527345

To answer your questions here, std internal and gearbox; they're fine at these levels with appropriate supporting mods and if properly mapped. I uprated the fuel pump and the turbo is the excellent VF35!

Can't say enough good things about APi and BRD. Advice, workmanship and customer care all spot on; the car is a demon mate!!

Ns04
I just read that post, took me a while! Nice write-up tho

I bet its a demon, nearly 50bhp/lbft more than mine must be mental.

I was playing with www.letstorquebhp.com the other day, with my power about 12.2s 0-100, with yours 10.4!!

Thats faster than any standard Subaru inc. Spec C 2.5 and Type 25 - so yes you have yourself a demon!!

Very interested in the gearbox issue, was worried about mine if it went over 300lbft - have seen a lot of people suggest that after that level you are asking for trouble. If API and Bob think standard is fine up to 320 then great, as I was thinking of changing turbo/fuel pump and remapping in the future.
Old 21 July 2006, 01:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by StiX
I just read that post, took me a while! Nice write-up tho

I bet its a demon, nearly 50bhp/lbft more than mine must be mental.

I was playing with www.letstorquebhp.com the other day, with my power about 12.2s 0-100, with yours 10.4!!

Thats faster than any standard Subaru inc. Spec C 2.5 and Type 25 - so yes you have yourself a demon!!

Very interested in the gearbox issue, was worried about mine if it went over 300lbft - have seen a lot of people suggest that after that level you are asking for trouble. If API and Bob think standard is fine up to 320 then great, as I was thinking of changing turbo/fuel pump and remapping in the future.
Hi mate,

Gearbox very much seems to depend on a number of factors:

1) Useage- I think if you're into drag starts and full bore changes you should exect to have to upgrade!!

2) How the car is mapped -Bob mapped mine so the power delivery is sympathetic to the transmission

3) Whether you get a good un' in the first instance: some boxes let go at std power afterall!

It's a very quick car now. I'm not sure how owners with 400-500bhp classics keep a) their licenses and b) the car on the road!!
Thinking of a FMIC to help the car make the power as easily as possible and keep things cool, espeically in the kind of temps we've been having. That said, the car did record those figures on a run with 30 degrees ambient at the end of a mapping session, so fair play to it!!!

Ns04
Old 21 July 2006, 01:42 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yeah, I think the gearbox issues that people experience is down to how the car is driven, and also how the power delivery is produced. Lots of dumping of the clutch is a no no

Dashpig, don't believe everything you read about chocolate engines. sure there are weak spots but same as other engines (look at the 16v red top engine and its porous heads!) Its basically like other engines, if you look after it, they are reliable as hell. Sure you do get failures, but its only the failures that are reported, and for the amount reported on here (who are enthusiasts and have probably modded the cars as well) it is quite a small percentage imo.

You should be fine running your car on optimax, imo no need for booster. I quite often used to run my import my92 on normal supermarket fuel as it was convienient, hardly any activity on my knocklink (never more than green), I still do it to this day occaisonally even though I now have a power fc and few basic mods which was mapped on super unleaded and still no noticeable effects.

Just enjoy your car and dont be taken in by a lot of bs on here.
Old 21 July 2006, 01:46 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hi mate,

Gearbox very much seems to depend on a number of factors:

1) Useage- I think if you're into drag starts and full bore changes you should exect to have to upgrade!!

2) How the car is mapped -Bob mapped mine so the power delivery is sympathetic to the transmission

3) Whether you get a good un' in the first instance: some boxes let go at std power afterall!

It's a very quick car now. I'm not sure how owners with 400-500bhp classics keep a) their licenses and b) the car on the road!!
Thinking of a FMIC to help the car make the power as easily as possible and keep things cool, espeically in the kind of temps we've been having. That said, the car did record those figures on a run with 30 degrees ambient at the end of a mapping session, so fair play to it!!!

Ns04

I haven't had my MY00 that long, and the gearbox has never seemed 'right' to me. Bit notchy going into first and reverse.

Thats why I am particularly concerned if I upped power further, not due to my driving as I am very sympathetic with clutch/revs/box etc.

Always 'granny' start and rarely go over 5k revs (no point either with a TD04 anyway as you well know!).

400-500bhp classics - eek!

Had a ride in a 420bhp 200sx once when I was into them - now that was scary.

Thanks for comments, worth a thought for the future
Old 21 July 2006, 02:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Have a word with David at Api mate, he'll steer you in the right direction!

Subaru 5 speed boxes are notourious for being a bit notchy and reluctant to engage reverse. 1st can be a bit stiff too; doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. If the box is weak, obviously any power upgrade carries the risk of finishing it off! If it's a good un, and you drive with mechanical sympathy, my money would be on it being ok.

I was a bit unsure about going as far as the turbo in the upgrade process, but David talked me into the VF35- it's the right decision, you loose the high speed breathlessness of the TD04 and get a stronger and more sustained shove in the back, which is what we like. The turbo really chimes in about 500rpm later, but Spool up is hard to distinguish from the TD04. It's a noisey bugger though, but I like that!!

0-100 is one big rush now!

Ns04
Old 21 July 2006, 02:14 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Ns04
private airfield of course
Old 21 July 2006, 03:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Naturally!
Old 21 July 2006, 04:57 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Have a word with David at Api mate, he'll steer you in the right direction!

Subaru 5 speed boxes are notourious for being a bit notchy and reluctant to engage reverse. 1st can be a bit stiff too; doesn't necessarily indicate a problem. If the box is weak, obviously any power upgrade carries the risk of finishing it off! If it's a good un, and you drive with mechanical sympathy, my money would be on it being ok.

I was a bit unsure about going as far as the turbo in the upgrade process, but David talked me into the VF35- it's the right decision, you loose the high speed breathlessness of the TD04 and get a stronger and more sustained shove in the back, which is what we like. The turbo really chimes in about 500rpm later, but Spool up is hard to distinguish from the TD04. It's a noisey bugger though, but I like that!!

Ns04
Fair enough, not sure whether my g'box is ok or not then in that case. My first scoob (MY95 WRX), was much more fluent.

Think I'll leave modding any further until I save for a g'box rebuild just in case!
Old 21 July 2006, 05:01 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Nice guys couple of cool links in here.

Have fun dashpig,get some pictures up mate.
Old 21 July 2006, 07:19 PM
dashpig
Scooby Regular

jaytc2003 - Thanks for those words of encouragement ! Clearly with Subaru's racing pedigree i understand they're hardly gonna breakdown at a moments notice if you take care of them, however there will always be the odd few that have an inherent weakness somewhere (maybe that's even been introduced as you say by mod'ing) - and those as you say are the ones you tend to hear about which gives a skewed picture of how many out there that are running true to their nature

It's good to hear i don't have to camp at the local Shell garage unduly as well if it's absolutely not available, that i can use some sort of Super Unleaded in the interim and fill up with the good stuff when i can

Bat-Fink - cheers mate ! - Already having fun, and yup when i get a mo i'll post some up of my lil' baby