Newbie considering a Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2006, 09:28 AM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie considering a Wagon

Hello,

My name is Nathan (as you may have guessed) and I live in Slough (don't hold it against me )

I currently own a 94 L JDM Celica GT4 and have had the car for nearly 2 years and I am starting to get bored of it

I never used to be a fan of the Subaru's due to them being very common in my area.........................however I think I am falling in love with the wagon's and I love the sound, I haven't even been in one so I have a couple of questions. I would possibly be looking to swap my celica (worth about £5k) for one so what are they like to own for parts prices, servicing intervals, insurance (the celica is group 18) and reliability. What is there to look out for at certain mileages etc. etc. etc. What is the performance like? My Celica has about 280bhp and 0-60 in about 5ish.

What sort of age/mileage/spec would I be looking at for around £4.5-£5k?

I am a complete novice when it comes to the world of Impreza's/boxer engines so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have heard that the early engines aren't the best to work on easily, is this true?

Any help appreciated.

Thank You

Nathan
Old 17 July 2006, 10:59 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I will pitch-in first and tell you that 'Wagons have a lower output and different driving characteristics to Saloons. Most JDM 'Wagons produce 220PS with Later ones rated at 240PS. This compares with 240PS/260PS for earlier Saloons and 280PS on late models.

STI 'Wagons have a higher output but I believe that they all differ from the 'equivelant' Saloon model. I know for certain that earlier STI 'Wagons were similar to the equivelant WRX Saloon model (STI V2 'Wagon for example used the Z4 ECU and TD05 turbo of the then-current Saloon and was also rated at 260PS, whilst the V2 Saloon used a 6K and was rated at 275PS); rather than the STI Saloon.

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 12:37 PM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Simon,

I didn't realise the power output was so low on the wagons, any idea why this is? I was under the impression they were the same as the saloons and handle a bit better due to more weight over the rear wheels??? I suspect I might be a bit disappointed then coming from the GT4 ?????

Any more responses welcome.

Thank you

Nathan
Old 17 July 2006, 12:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Wagons had a smaller TD04 turbo with a quicker spool-up; the 'Wagon was aimed at a slightly different market after all. On the plus side; theyre stealthy, extremely practical, capacious and they weigh a damned sight less than a GT4!
Old 17 July 2006, 12:49 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No power difference on UK Spec's. Had two now and they are much more practical but can be made into serious sleepers
Old 17 July 2006, 01:01 PM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

I love the silver one mmmmmmmmmmm I want to go a bit stealthy as the GT4 is certainly not a sleeper. So if I was to do similar mods that I have on the GT4 (Induction Kit, S/S exhaust, decat, EBC set to 1.1bar) then what sort of figures would a wagon be pushing? What is the reliability like on them? typical Japanese? I was considering an Evo but have heard they have stupidly small service intervals, what are the early wagons like? for the money (£4-£4.5k) should I be able to get a decent one?

Thank You

Nathan
Old 17 July 2006, 01:14 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=377207

Here's your answer! Enjoy
Old 17 July 2006, 01:26 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

As a JDB wagon owner I can honestly say they are the full package.

As for the power aspect, mines fully decatted and fitted with a high flow
panel filter and I can say it's rapid, not alot on the road will keep pace.

As for practical, well it's got a good sized boot and I also have a roof pod for
the camping trips.

Get a test drive and you'll be hooked trust me

PS - I took a friend out in mine at the weekend for a B road blast, his car is now up for sale !!!

Rob
Old 17 July 2006, 01:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

As a JDM 'Wagon owner myself, I was only talking about WRXs, sorry. If you went for an earlier car then the only substantial differences are the ECU and the turbocharger. Im about to fit a TD05 with either a Z4 ECU or an ESLd W6 (already got the socket ), along with a decat downpipe. This should be good for between 275PS and 300PS depending on the final config and itll be stealthy as Im retaining a Subaru backbox...

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 02:16 PM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

I didn't realise there are so many variants, realistically what it the best spec I am going to get for £4.5k? I have looked on Auto Trader and there are a few on there but they seem to have high mileage (100k+) as a guide, how long do the engines last? the Celica's normally go for about 160k ish before any problems except turbo which I have changed. One of the reasons I am considering moving away from the Celica is that nobody knows about them and there are hardly any parts available and the parts that you can get are £££££££££££££'s so are early Wagon's mechanic friendly? I heard that doing the plugs on early ones is a ridiculous job (engine out) is this true?

Sorry for the stoopid questions but I don't want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire if you get what I mean.

Thanks again.

Nathan
Old 17 July 2006, 02:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Theres a lot of rubbish talked about Imprezas, as youve already found out. The spark plugs are tricky to do, but thats all.

If youre looking for a JDM car then Id suggest buying one thats just been imported from Japan. £4,500 buys quite a lot of 'Wagon (or Saloon for that matter) now; the values have been depressed by all of the cheap (and low quality) imports. Only buy a car that has the auction appraisal sheet with it and as long as its a Grade4, or maybe a 3.5; you shouldnt go far wrong.

Imprezas arent the most hardy car in the world, but they should last for a similar mileage as the Toyota if theyre cared for properly; run any JDM on 95RON fuel and itll just be a matter of time before it ends in tears though. The ECUs arent fantastic and they only have a very limited ability to retard the ignition timing which can result in holed pistons and big end bearing failure in il-cared for cars.

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 02:36 PM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Simon,

I just wanted to make sure I didn't end up with a car that needed its guts ripping out every 2000 miles costing a small fortune, I will get hunting for a test drive in one, I think I will aim for a black one but it seems like they are like rocking horse s**t so it might have to be silver or maybe green.

Thanks again, it's really appreciated.

Nathan
Old 17 July 2006, 02:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ive just seen a V2 STI 'Wagon advertised in AutoTrader for £4,500. Im sure that you know to be wary though; the majority of 'STIs' are just WRXs being sold by gob****es/f*ckwits. Its easy to tell when you know how of course.

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 03:18 PM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

I take it STI is the one I want? what are the ways of telling? I am guessing spoilers/interior? so they did a WRX & a WRX STI? could get confusing

Nathan
Old 17 July 2006, 03:30 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The Applied Model Number is the only real way of telling (although it wont help with the first 'altered production STI; that has a ***/100 or a ***/200 build plate though; nor the V2 'Wagon); it differentiates between the models.

This will make interesting for anyone interested in improving a Classic's handling; read parts one through to five; Ive downloaded it and printed it.

This SIDC FAQ will answer a lot of other questions; although its quite out of date and incomplete, its a good place to start. Section 2.1.1 shows the Applied Model Numbers which I refered to...

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 03:33 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nathanl
I take it STI is the one I want?
No, not really. I mentioned the V2 STI 'Wagon only becuase its being advertised for the £4,500 figure that you mentioned.

Simon
Old 17 July 2006, 04:40 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

It's a pity you can't stretch to around 8k mate. Sti 5 wagon, or even better an ultra rare sti 6 wagon are the dogs bollox.

Rarity and practicality with speed. How good?

Dave
Old 18 July 2006, 08:38 AM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

I got an insurance quote last night and nearly died. My Celica is group 18 and I pay £521 fc with Protected 4 years NCB, I got quoted £2000 so the Wagon's may be good but not that good, I will stick with the celica which is just as quick (if not a little quicker) and a ¼ of the price to insure.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Nathan
Old 18 July 2006, 10:02 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Speak to Gary Moulson at Keith Michaels PLC; I bet that he can bring a smile to your face.

Simon
Old 18 July 2006, 03:14 PM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

You were right, £932 which is considerably better than £2k, I think what I will do is wait until I get a new MOT on the Celica (September) then flog it and have a look for a nice wagon.

Thanks a lot Simon.

Nathan
Old 18 July 2006, 03:17 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

Welcome in nathanl fom me....nathanb
Old 18 July 2006, 03:18 PM
Drboobfondler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I will pitch-in first and tell you that 'Wagons have a lower output and different driving characteristics to Saloons. Most JDM 'Wagons produce 220PS with Later ones rated at 240PS. This compares with 240PS/260PS for earlier Saloons and 280PS on late models.

STI 'Wagons have a higher output but I believe that they all differ from the 'equivelant' Saloon model. I know for certain that earlier STI 'Wagons were similar to the equivelant WRX Saloon model (STI V2 'Wagon for example used the Z4 ECU and TD05 turbo of the then-current Saloon and was also rated at 260PS, whilst the V2 Saloon used a 6K and was rated at 275PS); rather than the STI Saloon.

Simon

waffle waffle waffle !!!!
Old 18 July 2006, 07:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drboobfondler
waffle waffle waffle !!!!
You're a **** aren't you?
Old 18 July 2006, 07:58 PM
sleeve32
Scooby Newbie

hey dude. celicas, nice. wagons, awesome! only downer is the mpg. if u get an import it needs to be adjusted 4 uk fuel or it goes BANG. also dont think imports r undersealed. I've got a uk '98 wagon, totally std and has done, wait for it, 149000 miles!. still goes well like sh*t of a shovel, no smoke, no s/history either! just needs new rear anti roll bar bushes and new front cv(i think) but totally reliable and sounds awesome even with std exhaust. 0-60 about 6 secs and i've hit 150, in controlled environment of course! so if u get a low miler with s/ history you'll have years of great driving. just brilliant cars.
Old 18 July 2006, 08:21 PM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

Get a test drive in one, you'll be hooked.

this is mine :-
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=529058

A real stealth machine until I floor it, then it flies.
You should see the looks on the faces of other contenders at the traffic lights grand prix when they see an old fart leave them behind (up to the legal speed limit of course ).
Old 18 July 2006, 08:29 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 98 WRX (JDM) wagon is everything I could want in a car. Climate control, electric folding mirrors, map lights, not thrashed as much as the equivalent saloon would have probably been, I've lugged sofa beds, mattresses and other furniture around in it when needed, handles the same as a saloon, only difference is the lower output on a TD04 turbo (the later classic wagons were a similar drive to the equivalent UK model of the same year). But the wagons were supposed to be a more torquey, relaxing drive - the turbo used to spool up from well under 3000 revs and pull like a train. Until I swapped it out for a VF35 off a new age STi and now with a few choice mods it's running roughly 300 bhp and totally stealth. I'd definitely get a wagon if you value 'silent running' - if you fancy a burn you'll blow away most things on the road, and if you want to take it easy, no-one will give a wagon a second glance, apart from other Scoob owners. Plus roof-rails look cool IMHO.
Old 19 July 2006, 08:29 AM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

Thanks a lot for the pointers guys, I am seriously considering one now, if I do get one it will definately be a wagon (with funky roof bars and the obligatory dog guard even though I don't have a dog, I do have a cat though )

Sleeve32- I like hearing that they can have starship mileage and still go strong as a lot of the ones in the trader seem to have about 100+k on the clock which really put me off but I will probably aim for about 80k

Big G- Yours looks really nice mate, I want one in either Black, that blue or maybe silver, from what I have seen black seems to be quite rare?

Silent running- when you mention "later classic wagons" what year ish are you referring to? Ideally I don't really want to have to swap bits over so I want the best turbo I can get as standard really.

1 More question, how do I know a wagon is an STI and not a WRX with badges on?

I am looking forward to being part of the scooby community, might get confusing though as there seems to be loads of Nathan's on here lol.

Thanks again.

Nathan
Old 19 July 2006, 08:49 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Hi Nathan,

My first Scoob was a UK MY95 wagon. Un-modded, it pushed out 221bhp at a rolling road day (actually put a few "new" bugeyes to shame on the day )

Never got it rr'd after I Scoobysport'd the exhaust and got an air-filter - but felt much quicker.

The rubbish things about the pre-97 cars - only 2-pot front brakes (scarey) and cr@ppy non-bucket seats.

IMHO, hold out for a facelift (post-97) if you want better seats and brakes.
Also with the JDM cars, they may have better seats on the pre-97 cars, but they still have 2-pot brakes......

My wagon got used for all sorts of stuff. I fancied a change next, and went for a saloon. Great car, but not a practical. Which is why I've got back to an estate (4-ringed badge and a 'kin big 2.7 bi-turbo V6 )

Go for it. They're good fun

DAN
Old 19 July 2006, 09:10 AM
*LJB*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nathanl
Big G- Yours looks really nice mate, I want one in either Black, that blue or maybe silver, from what I have seen black seems to be quite rare?
Like this?

Old 19 July 2006, 03:09 PM
nathanl
Scooby Newbie

Yep, that's what I will be after, mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cheers

Nathan