Sponsored by:

WRX wont start, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2006, 07:06 PM
trevsubwrx1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX wont start, any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im hoping someone can help me out here.
My WRX (05 model) has a real problem starting. I turn the key and it turns over, but just wont catch, sometimes have to sit there trying for a few minutes before it fires up.
Funny thing is, it doesnt do it all the time, most often after a long run though. Its getting worse however, seems to mess me about more often.
Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong. This is my 5th scoob, and ive never had this happen before.

Mileage is 6500mls, just 12 months old now.

Replies please, im desperate as I have a lot of travelling coming up and could do with not being stuck at a petrol pump (which is what normally happens) and not getting it going.

Cheers
Old 06 July 2006, 07:48 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

is your car not covered under warrenty. I would take it back straight away as it is so new. I'm afraid i'm not used to the newer impreza's so can't say any more.
Old 06 July 2006, 07:54 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faulty ECU temperature sensor or wiring is where I'd put my money, or a faulty CPS..
Old 06 July 2006, 08:18 PM
trevsubwrx1
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, it is under warranty, it will go in eventually. Anyone else?, alnyideas appreciated.

Trev
Old 06 July 2006, 08:24 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

does it do it when the car is cold (ie first start in the morning) or only when it's been running..?

Either way, get it back to the dealer.

BTW Do you get he CEL light on at all..?
Old 06 July 2006, 10:23 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Trev

Mine, a 95 WRX import, was a tw*t to start when it was hot and had been stood for about an hour. Even had to get a push start a couple of times Any other time it was fine, started straight away. It turned out to be...exactly as was suggested on here ...the crankshaft sensor. Put a 2nd hand one on and Bob's yer Uncle, sorted. Dont know if an 05 is similar though.

HTH

Mick
Old 07 July 2006, 09:16 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Push starting can ruin your cat But I suppose no more so than pumping unburnt fuel through by turning over an engine that won't fire.
Old 07 July 2006, 01:29 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

yeah i have an MY05 WRX PPP and only got 9000 miles on clock, it has always started eventually but only after about 5 - 10 seconds of turning the key but then its only happened about 3 times , a bit weird for a new car!
Old 07 July 2006, 09:55 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Push starting can ruin your cat But I suppose no more so than pumping unburnt fuel through by turning over an engine that won't fire.
Yes I know, but you get sick of standing around looking like a lemon everybody telling you need to get rid of that piece of s4ite

The weird bit though, with a bump they start straight away, like as soon as you let the clutch up, your not pushing them miles. Anyway a new crank sensor sorted it.

Thanks for the advise though

Mick
Old 08 July 2006, 12:28 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MickeyWRX
yeah i have an MY05 WRX PPP and only got 9000 miles on clock, it has always started eventually but only after about 5 - 10 seconds of turning the key but then its only happened about 3 times , a bit weird for a new car!
exactly the same as mine! you also called micky!
Old 08 July 2006, 06:44 PM
trevsubwrx1
Scooby Regular

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the posts, at least im not the only one. Will have to mention the crankshaft sensor to the scooby bloke when it goes in. Feel a bit better about the motor now, strange at just under 7000 miles though.
Old 08 July 2006, 07:19 PM
MickeyWRX
Scooby Regular

but if it ever doesnt start i will just called subaru assistance, hopefully it wont come to that!
Old 09 July 2006, 08:30 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

The answer to your problem is a known issue, but the dealer wont tell you and cant fix it cos it dosent throw up a cel....

to temp fix it...& diagnose it...

next time the prob occurs open the bonnet and disconnect the cam sensor..only needs to be disconnected for a couple of seconds.... then reconnect it

try to start the car... if it starts, which it will (known prob) then the fault is either a duff cam or crank sensor...

i replaced the cam sensor first, but the prob still persisted, did the crank one next.....and never had a prob since....

now the scary bit....your local stealer will hit you for £100 plus for each sensor......Grade A will do you one for £35 each..

Mart
Old 09 July 2006, 10:52 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
The answer to your problem is a known issue, but the dealer wont tell you and cant fix it cos it dosent throw up a cel....

to temp fix it...& diagnose it...

next time the prob occurs open the bonnet and disconnect the cam sensor..only needs to be disconnected for a couple of seconds.... then reconnect it

try to start the car... if it starts, which it will (known prob) then the fault is either a duff cam or crank sensor...

i replaced the cam sensor first, but the prob still persisted, did the crank one next.....and never had a prob since....

now the scary bit....your local stealer will hit you for £100 plus for each sensor......Grade A will do you one for £35 each..

Mart

Exactly how I was advised to solve mine (was it you who posted when I asked ) spot on info. Disconnect and reconnect one of the 2 sensor (Crank or Cam), then try it, if it starts its that sensor, if it doesn't try the other. I disconnected/reconnected the Cam 1st and it made no difference, when I did the Crank it started straight away.
I did this on mine about 3 weeks ago, I got a 2nd hand one from Scoobyclinic for £40 never let me down since. They did concur with their plug in fault checking thingy though.

Mick
Old 09 July 2006, 11:46 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

well these sensos if faulty would be coverd under warrenty surely?