Sponsored by:

Noise from gearbox, Help guys!

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 08:30 PM
sti333
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from gearbox, Help guys!

Just heard some strange noise (when I put DCCD on 50:50 LOCK and tried to turn in the corner) from under the car, I guess it was from gearbox (NOT SURE), is there anybody have any idea what’s wrong with my car(my03 sti)? Many thanks!
Old 13 May 2006, 09:01 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the diff locked and try to do a tight turn then the wheels will be forced to turn at the same speed/distance whereas in a tight corner they turn at different speed/distance.
It may be perfectly normal but without actually driving your car I could not say for sure.
Old 13 May 2006, 10:10 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by sti333
Just heard some strange noise (when I put DCCD on 50:50 LOCK and tried to turn in the corner) from under the car, I guess it was from gearbox (NOT SURE), is there anybody have any idea what’s wrong with my car(my03 sti)? Many thanks!
Silly boy! . 50/50 is not advisable for tarmac as it locks the centre diff and the axles and the end result is transmission wind up which is what you have experienced. This position is only suitable for loose or icy surfaces when stability at speed is needed.
Maz
Old 13 May 2006, 10:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

"TIGHT CORNER BRAKING PHENOMENON (makes more sense once you read the following)
When the indicator is orange while driving on dry tarmac/asphalt, corners, and even reverse parking, due to the rotational difference between the front and rear wheels, there are cases where heavy vibration and noise may occur during braking.
Though this is not out of the ordinary, and to resolve this "problem", you can simply either set the DCCD to DIFF FREE or pull the hand brake enough so that the brake warning light illuminates.
While you may feel a light "shock" when using the control dial during quick acceleration and tight cornering, due to the movement of the center diff, this is normal."

Taken from the excellent John Felstead post/thread below.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...highlight=DCCD
Old 13 May 2006, 11:20 PM
sti333
Scooby Newbie

thanks for your fast replying, guys! now i know a bit whats going on. but i heard the noise when i was driving very slow in tesco's driveway and the noise just sounds like one of the wheel is locked, i also heard "BENG, BENG" noise from under the car. Is this problem normal too?
Old 13 May 2006, 11:29 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti333
thanks for your fast replying, guys! now i know a bit whats going on. but i heard the noise when i was driving very slow in tesco's driveway and the noise just sounds like one of the wheel is locked, i also heard "BENG, BENG" noise from under the car. Is this problem normal too?
Dude, Tesco's driveway is exactly where you'll get it!

To prove it's diff wind-up, the next time you hear it, immediately pull the handbrake up a couple of notches (whilst driving). You'll hear a loud thump as the diff unlocks itself. Situation normal.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:02 AM
shadow_jiao
Scooby Newbie

that's normal man .you just locked the lsd

lol
Old 14 May 2006, 04:33 PM
V12_Z
Scooby Newbie

lsd locked? so,how to drive on the road?