Sponsored by:

The New WRX,or keep my MY95?HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2001, 03:17 PM
scoobyhead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ive got a MY95 UK scooby at the moment. The car brings me nothing but bags of smiles and pleasure.Im thinking of getting a new WRX.Is the new WRX all that it's cracked up to be, or is it worth just keeping mine? I would really appreciate all opinions on this.

Many thanks in advance.

[Edited by scoobyhead - 10/26/2001 3:19:00 PM]
Old 26 October 2001, 03:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
It's got six years worth of development over yours. You'll be amazed at the difference.

If all you're after is a punch when you floor it, give me a few grand and I'll find someone to sit in the back when you drive.

Looks are a huge improvement... interior. I don't give that much of a monkeys about the outside, I pay to drive.
Old 27 October 2001, 08:20 AM
scoobyhead
Scooby Regular

Come on don't be shy, give me your views!!!
Old 27 October 2001, 01:50 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same position - got an MY95 5dr. I did look at chnaging up to the WRX, but at the Listers (dealers) open day, I have to admit, I was disappointed.

Sure, the interior is 100% better (Get new seats), as are the brakes (Get some 4 or 6 pots, as opposed to the 2pots you've got now), and the suspension is much tighter (Get new suspension).

But on the downside, you've got to spend some money to get THAT pushback into your seat. Yes, yes, everybody says that it is as fast but it dosen't FEEL as fast.....

When it comes to looks, well, it's a matter of opinion. I'm not too bothered. After speaking to a chap at Listers, they're putting Morrettes as standard (?)...sez it all really.

Two people with very nice examples of the new WRX are Dave T-S and Pete Croney - both on this bbs. Check 'em out.

Having said that, when the time comes to change (got 77K on the clock now - it's just about run in ) I'll be looking at a WRX, but at the moment, I'm having far to much fun!!!

Just my 2p.....

Dan

Old 27 October 2001, 11:07 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Good car....

But....
Change headlights & spoiler, lower it & get PPP. Then it's something like the car it should have been from the start.

I've had mine since Feb 2001 & just turned 14k miles. Enjoy the car but what ever anyone says to try and convince you, it just aint got the punch of the old car! Offset some what by the more balanced handling (compared to standard mk1) and much less understeer. I still remain Gobsmacked that Subaru released it with an inferior power to weight ratio compared to the old car and expected no one to complain.

I await with interest to see what the Sti comes in at (price wise) next year. If it's £25/26K, them I'm in for one, otherwise.... after 5 years Scooby ownership, I shall be looking elsewhere.

Think hard before you buy!

Enjoy......................

Old 28 October 2001, 04:06 AM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

I'm in this conundrum too....

Got a MY00 4dr and now need something more "practical". I took a look at the WRX 5dr and was very disappointed. No flaired wheel arches! I was surprised at how much difference this made to the car

Looks like I may have to look at an Audi
Old 28 October 2001, 12:26 PM
scoobyhead
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ScoobyDoo555,
sounds like your enjoying your MY95 as much as me!Mine's got 73k on the clock and it is loadsa fun!!!!
Thanks to everyone who gave their views, i think i will stick with mine for the time being.I think Mike Owen sums it all up, and he's got one!
Old 28 October 2001, 09:09 PM
DarkJedi
Scooby Newbie

The thing is - will your MY95 be worth much if you sell it? :-/

I have a MY94 WRX saloon import which has been the perfect car for me - 4 doors, towbar, practical....yet a hoot to boot to boot ;-D

I have now grown to love the looks of the new shape - but since my car is worth sweet fa now that I've wound it up to 115000km and I'm still paying for it...well...unfortunately the sensible choice is to stick with what I've got...

So I've decided that a few clear indicator lenses might make me feel better ;-)

Anyway - let us know what you decide to do!
Old 28 October 2001, 09:17 PM
NAP6W
Scooby Regular

Got my MY01 WRX 3 weeks ago and have done 2000 miles. I spent a good 2 hours cleaning it today and in my opinion it looks fantastic. The shape, the quality and the looks just blow me away. Even the wife who wouldnt know a good car if it ran her over loves it. She says "very blue dear" and then tears off in it. I would recommend one to anyone. One of the guys who works for me is buying a Boxter, he was less than pleased when I said "mine will blow that away and it cost half as much" !!!