Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to pay for goods on BBS?

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2001, 09:35 PM
Hel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering what is the normal process for buying goods from the Sales Forum when you can't physically visit the seller of the goods. eg I'm in South Wales, so if I wanted to but something from someone in N.Ireland, Scotland etc then I couldn't just pop up and check out the goods and hand over the cash.

Is there some sort of courier service where the goods are only handed over from the courier when the buyer gives the required sum of money to the courier, and then the courier forwards the money onto the seller etc.

If this doesn't exist, then if its a case of doing a bank transfer of funds to the sellers bank account, after which the seller sends the goods to the purchaser, then this leaves the purchaser in a very vulnerable sitation. ie its seems very dodgy to send money to someone you don't know and don't know the address of in the hope that the will then send the goods on.
Old 28 October 2001, 09:49 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Hi Hel

Basically comes down to trust, talk to the person (land line) if you feel okay with it do it, if it's over a certain amount arange to meet somewhere either halfway between the two or have a nice trip somewhere
I've personally not bought off a scoobynet member, but did purchace something from the home cinema choice bbs (i sent money when it cleared he sent goods) and it worked fine.

Si
Old 28 October 2001, 09:51 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Your right of course, sending money to someone who you`ve never met, and are very likely to ever meet is dodgy.All a matter of trust.First thing to do is to see how many posts they`ve made on the board, do they have a good repuation? Someone who has a good repuation on these or any other board is hardly going to do a runner with your money and lose the reputation and friends that they have made on since joining.Having said that there is people who havent made many posts and hence you just have to trust them.

One bad experience i had was when i ordered a set of exhausts for my bike, i sent the guy £15 extra for P+P, and the idiot then just nips along to his local Post Office, and slaps said item on the scales and sends it!.... no insurance and a value of £650!! ...13 days later it still had`nt arrrived, i was sure it had been stolen in the post for sure, either that or he never sent it. 14th day it arrived, phew!!!.Always make sure they are going to send it via Parcel Force or such like ( £15 next day, insured, picked up from their house and delievered to yours, upto 5kg weight if memory serves me correctly)

At the end of the day if you carnt afford to lose it, then dont send it.

Rich.