Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the scoob

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2006, 01:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling the scoob

As above. I worked out the other day just how much it was costing me a month to run my 05 STI PPP. With loan payments, insurance, tyres, service etc, it was working out at £630 a month. I'm now wanting that money to concentrate on paying off my mortgage for a few years.
Last week I purposely drove sensibly i.e. no full throttle overtakes, and I got 15mpg. If I drove any less assertive than I did for that week, then there would be no point in having it.

I've had it since May 2005 (New), It has the PPP, Prodrive spring kit, and I'll be sticking the original alloys back on.
As a part ex, what do you think I should ask for it ??

Probably swapping it for a Clio 182 (new, no mileage) even though I said I'd never touch another Renault again. D'oh.
Old 10 March 2006, 01:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The amount you would lose in depreciation and with buying another new car, I doubt very much you would save a great deal.

It surprises me how many scoob owners sell their cars after a short period of ownership.

The minimum period I have owned a car is 8 years(my scoob coming up 9 years). Once its paid off and you maintain it correctly, it wont cost you hardly anything to run other than the petrol Buy another cheap car as the run around and keep the scooby for special days out.

Andy
Old 10 March 2006, 01:30 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Compromise buy a Euro WRX on a PCP and it shouldn't cost you anywhere near £630 a month
Old 10 March 2006, 02:03 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Buy another cheap car as the run around and keep the scooby for special days out.

Andy
Thought about that, but I'd still have the loan, insurance etc to pay. Yes it would save me a bit but not that much.
Like I said I want to use the money that I'm paying out on the loan, petrol etc to start paying off my mortgage.

If I swap it in then the new car will not have any loan on it, petrol will be halved 15mpg V's 30-32mpg.
Insurance will be over halved, currently paying £1350 and I bet it goes up at renewal time (B@stards). 2 new tyres a year instead of 4.
All in all I'd probably save about £4600 per year. Thus reducing my mortgage, which in turn will reduce my monthly payments.

It's all that "Pay of your Mortgage in 2 years" shows fault.
Makes sense though. If I payed my mortgage off in the current state i.e. 25 years I'd be paying back approx £120,000. Pay it off in the next 5 years (at a push) then it will only cost me approx £60,000. Saving approx £60,000. Makes sense when you think about it.

No mortgage payments means I can then spend more cash on the car I really want, a Porsche.
Old 11 March 2006, 06:58 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

stilover,

I am in the same position as you. I don't get that much of a buzz from raw speed but hoped the novelty of 4WD would compensate for that. I am looking at saving the cash and going to small and nippy. Please keep us posted on what you end up doing and, if you don't mind, the deal you strike on the new car.
Old 11 March 2006, 07:52 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

Wow!

That is a lot on insurance!

I pay around £400 on a MY01 and worked out it's not worth selling just for a few extra mpg.

With that insurance cost, cut your losses and get a small engine!

Is it due to your age or postcode?

Ted.
Old 11 March 2006, 08:45 PM
N*UFO
Scooby Regular

The damage has been done,You are looking at getting @ £16k nearly half what you paid less than a year ago, sad but true!
I have been told dealers are selling my05 sti's for under £19k new the fact you have ppp might add a couple of hundred quid......
Old 11 March 2006, 10:51 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by captain ted
Wow!

That is a lot on insurance!

I pay around £400 on a MY01 and worked out it's not worth selling just for a few extra mpg.

With that insurance cost, cut your losses and get a small engine!

Is it due to your age or postcode?

Ted.
31 year old living in Darlington (north east) I'm not exactly a boy racer, and Darlington is hardly the car crime capital of England.
Old 11 March 2006, 10:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N*UFO
The damage has been done,You are looking at getting @ £16k nearly half what you paid less than a year ago, sad but true!
I have been told dealers are selling my05 sti's for under £19k new the fact you have ppp might add a couple of hundred quid......
Yeh, Subaru dealer offered my £16k. This is the same dealer that has 2 MY05 STI's with NO PPP. Both up for £22,950.
So he was looking at making nealy £7k out of me. Fine he might let them both go for £21,500 or £22,000, but no way was I accepting £16k

Christ MY04 STI's go for more than that.
Old 12 March 2006, 08:31 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

stilover,

I am sure you already do, but have a good look around for other insurance quotes. I live in the southeast in a medium risk area and have a million years NCB. Girlfriend is a named driver and has had a ding and a couple of thefts from her car in the last few years. My insurance is £795 and I am a year younger than you.

I think what you and I are going to find is that it may pay to keep the car for a while to allow the depreciation curve to smoothe out. 3 year old STIs seem to be going for 'low teens' so it should cost relatively little in terms of depreciation to keep it a bit longer.

Good luck with whatever you do
Old 12 March 2006, 09:58 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I did what you're talking about a few weeks ago. Replaced it with a £350 Rover no less and havent looked back.

The car paid for itself in under one month and this month I have a lot more cash in my account than I have had in a long long time.

The damage may well have been done with regard to depreciation etc but it doesnt mean you shouldn't cut your loses and make yourself better off for the future.

Gary
Old 12 March 2006, 11:31 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Just bought a Brand spanking new Renault Clio 182 (Black) this morning.

Taliking to the Subaru dealer last week. He said that he would be willing to take my car, stick it on his forecourt and sell it for me. All I need to do is tell him what I want for it, and if it goes for more, he keeps it. I think I'll do this.

Considering he has non PPP 05 STI with 6000 miles for £22,950, I think I'll just say I want £19k, just to get rid.
At that price, I'll have payed for the Clio, and payed off my loan on the Impreza. So I'll be loan free, getting 32mpg, and pocketing more cash to pay off my mortgage.

Do you think £19k is the right price to ask for?
Old 12 March 2006, 12:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it that it has a high mileage, as one of the costs you listed was Tyres ........

£19k may be good, may be bad .... no-one without some detailed knowledge could advise you on a price.

Pete
Old 12 March 2006, 03:55 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I take it that it has a high mileage, as one of the costs you listed was Tyres ........

£19k may be good, may be bad .... no-one without some detailed knowledge could advise you on a price.

Pete
8,500 miles. Tyres are still in pretty good nick, but would need replacing in a few months (June/July) at approx £560.
Old 12 March 2006, 06:27 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

How does the Clio compare to the Scoob? I bet it is more fun.
Old 12 March 2006, 06:49 PM
gridgway
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of moving from my 182 cup to a scooby! Didn't see your post early enough, we could have done a deal!

Have fun in the Clio.

Graham
Old 12 March 2006, 07:16 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Think you'll struggle for £19k on trade-in. Sell privately for that. Scoob prices are all over the joint, someone on another thread managed to find a brand new MY05 STi PPP for £19,995. They're booking about £16k for trade -in so generally most dealers will offer around that mark.

ewan
Old 12 March 2006, 08:28 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
As above. I worked out the other day just how much it was costing me a month to run my 05 STI PPP. With loan payments, insurance, tyres, service etc, it was working out at £630 a month. I'm now wanting that money to concentrate on paying off my mortgage for a few years.
Last week I purposely drove sensibly i.e. no full throttle overtakes, and I got 15mpg. If I drove any less assertive than I did for that week, then there would be no point in having it.

I've had it since May 2005 (New), It has the PPP, Prodrive spring kit, and I'll be sticking the original alloys back on.
As a part ex, what do you think I should ask for it ??

Probably swapping it for a Clio 182 (new, no mileage) even though I said I'd never touch another Renault again. D'oh.
tough call, but you gotta do what you g u gotta do man! u can always get another when u have your financial things sorted..and if i was gettin away from the performance cars id be getting a diesel!!
Old 12 March 2006, 08:30 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewanrw
Think you'll struggle for £19k on trade-in. Sell privately for that. Scoob prices are all over the joint, someone on another thread managed to find a brand new MY05 STi PPP for £19,995. They're booking about £16k for trade -in so generally most dealers will offer around that mark.

ewan
trade in? he already bought the clio man, hes saying the dealer wil try sell his STi for him, get me?
Old 12 March 2006, 08:40 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

a bit slow today
Old 13 March 2006, 11:09 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gridgway
I'm thinking of moving from my 182 cup to a scooby! Didn't see your post early enough, we could have done a deal!

Have fun in the Clio.

Graham
Graham, I've PM'd you.
Old 13 March 2006, 12:01 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by stilover
Just bought a Brand spanking new Renault Clio 182 (Black) this morning.

Taliking to the Subaru dealer last week. He said that he would be willing to take my car, stick it on his forecourt and sell it for me. All I need to do is tell him what I want for it, and if it goes for more, he keeps it. I think I'll do this.

Considering he has non PPP 05 STI with 6000 miles for £22,950, I think I'll just say I want £19k, just to get rid.
At that price, I'll have payed for the Clio, and payed off my loan on the Impreza. So I'll be loan free, getting 32mpg, and pocketing more cash to pay off my mortgage.

Do you think £19k is the right price to ask for?
i take it you know the renault cliosport 197 is about to be released so dealer should have knocked off a lot of money for an old model ie same as 05v06 scooby
martin
Old 13 March 2006, 12:47 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
i take it you know the renault cliosport 197 is about to be released so dealer should have knocked off a lot of money for an old model ie same as 05v06 scooby
martin
I'm paying the same as a second hand 182 with 2-3000 miles on them.
Old 13 March 2006, 06:34 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

just sold mine on sunday,

now i am sad.
Old 13 March 2006, 07:29 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

how do people go through tyres so quick. you say you will need 2 new on the clio in a year? i wouldnt have thought so. i just go traded my citroen c2 in which i have had 2 years and thrashed the **** off it and the tyres are still well legal. the wrx300 that i bough has done 8K and tyres are like brand new still
Old 13 March 2006, 07:35 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N*UFO
Where are these dealers buddy. i must have **** out big style
Old 13 March 2006, 07:49 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Sod a clio! Do what a few of us have done and get an elise, 40 mpg, loads of fun, lovely to drive etc etc. Im using mine as an everyday car, you wont miss an impreza at all. Tyres for example are less than 40 quid for the front and about 70 for the rears. Just bought a minto one for 8,500
Old 13 March 2006, 08:41 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C2forWRX
how do people go through tyres so quick. you say you will need 2 new on the clio in a year? i wouldnt have thought so. i just go traded my citroen c2 in which i have had 2 years and thrashed the **** off it and the tyres are still well legal. the wrx300 that i bough has done 8K and tyres are like brand new still
You obviously corner like a girl cos I've never seen 10,000 miles in any of my last 3 front wheel drive cars Focus RS, Clio 172, & 106GTI. I don't wheel spin either.
Anyone can "Thrash the ****" off a car in a straight line. Cornering speed, that's where you gain the advantage.
Old 13 March 2006, 08:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

What I am doing at the moment, is panicking about getting this Clio. I've borrowed the money off my dad to buy it. If I get £19k for mine then I'll pay him back, pay off my loan, and everyones a winner

The fly in the ointment, is that the dealer can only come back to me on Friday to offer me a price. We've talked on the phone, and he admits that £16k is a sh@t price for the car, and has said he knows its worth a lot more. Like I've said before he has the same car sat on his lot (6000 miles) up for £22,950. So, even if he took mine at £19k, and sold for £21k, he'll make £2k.
I'm supposed to pick up he Clio on Saturday, but haven't signed for anything yet, or paid a deposit, but I'll have to let them know tomorrow, when I get my plate put on Retention, if I want it or not.
I just know, if I agree to the Clio, the Subaru dealer will offer me a sh@te price and I'll end up taking a couple grand hit. Yet if I cancel the Clio, the Subaru dealer will come through with what I want, then I'll have missed out on the Clio.
I'm scared of putting it Autotrader as well, as it could take months to sell. Theres a million Subaru's on there

I haven't slept right for 3 nights now just thinking about it.