Sponsored by:

IC Waterspray

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2006, 12:53 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IC Waterspray

As a new owner of an sti, one of the many differences to my old, love it or hate it Bugeye WRX is the water spray.

No use in these cold months but is it any good in the warmer weather or is it just a gimic

One more thing, when the button is pressed, is it one squirt or a series of squirts, no cheeky comments
Old 10 February 2006, 12:57 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

As a 4week owner of an STI myself The inter-cooler spray is also new to me, so from what I understand when the button is pressed and released it will spray for about 2/3seconds. Also from what other people have said only on hot summer days, or stuck in traffic for a long time!.
Old 10 February 2006, 12:59 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Depress the button and hold it, mine continually streams water onto the intercooler. If i just press it once it gives a 2-3sec squirt. It's not a gimick though, it helps reduce heat soak with TMIC and brings the charge temps down. I usually give it a good soak if I've been stationary for a min or two or if i'm going to give it some throttle
Old 10 February 2006, 02:18 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I thought the whole point of it was, that on hot days, when you are down on power, because turbo cars need cold dense air to give max power, that pressing the button sprayed ice cold air on the intercooler, thus feeding cold air into the engine, thus upping the power.
I always press it on hot days, just before I go for the overtake.

Just wish it wasn't in such an awkward position.
Old 10 February 2006, 02:22 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Gimmick.

On my STi Version 5, the water tank lasted approx 1.5 laps of Elvington when on Auto.

The amount of heat the water gets rid of when moving compared the air flow through the IC is so negligible to be none existent.

It may give some advantage if you have been stationary for a while, but so does driving steaidly for 200 yards.

Steve
Old 10 February 2006, 02:22 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
that pressing the button sprayed ice cold air on the intercooler, thus feeding cold air into the engine, thus upping the power.
the intercooler spray has a reservoir of water in the boot If your spraying ice cold air then that would work, this is how the nitrous halos work, but on the standard setup your enjoying a placebo effect as where is this ice cold air coming from?
Old 10 February 2006, 02:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
the intercooler spray has a reservoir of water in the boot If your spraying ice cold air then that would work, this is how the nitrous halos work, but on the standard setup your enjoying a placebo effect as where is this ice cold air coming from?
I thought it was ICE cold water. Must have got it off Clarkson when he was testing the Impreza. He has always said "Ice cold water onto the intercooler".

I shall write a very stern letter to said Mr. Clarkson forthwith, berating him for making me look such a fool.
Old 10 February 2006, 02:38 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

There is no cooling mechanism in the system as far as I know but if you put ice cold water in there then i guess you get ice cold water on the I/C .

Another trick is to add some ethonal in there which will reduce your charge temps when sprayed on i/c. Various sources have told me it has an effect of 15hp on the car, I am rather sceptical to this claim as I have never tried this
Old 10 February 2006, 03:31 PM
scooby.2
Scooby Regular

Always used ice cold water back last year on my old wrx (diy i/c spray),keeped a 2 ltr bottle in the fridge all day at work,just the job for the warm evenings run home ..
Old 10 February 2006, 04:11 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

We put a DIY kit on my mates MY99 UK car, and boost pressure raised by 2-3psi when engaged (run via PSI3, so comes on at boost/revs).