Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny now? My Subaru Won't Start????

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2006, 10:31 PM
larsdowg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny now? My Subaru Won't Start????

Well its funny now I look at it............I think.....
Let me set the scene..... I'm full of cold and heading home from work so decide to pop into a Pharmacy about 2 miles from my house. So I pull up in my 2001 WRX outside turn off the engine and go in for some stuff to get rid of my man flu. Popping my max lemsip in my coat pocket I head back to my car, the remote unlocks the car and when I get in the immobiliser decides to kick in so I press the magic button on the fob.........NO JOY!!! After lots of frantic button pressing I decide to phone a friend to pick me up to collect my other set of keys from home. I arrive back to find again after lots more frantic button pressing this also gives me no joy hmmmmm f@#k f@#k f@#k so I get my friend to take me to get some new batteries.
Arrive back with new batteries in fob with hope in my heart but NO NO NO still no joy right what would your guesses be right now???

So I head into the doctors next door as the pharmacy is now closed, the receptionist informs me the car park is locked up in about 20 mins for the nite (after I tell my story) thanks love great news...... but on the way out she tells me other people have had a similar issue in the car park because of a 50ft radio mast in the corner of the car park I CANT BELEIVE IT COULD BE THAT!!??
So now I either head home for the codes (not enough time) or????.......wait a minute a Dr comes out and offers to push my car and about 20 metres away from the mast thingy and pushing the button as we push the scoob the DAMB THING WORKS!!

2 hrs later I'm sorted!!! has ANYONE ELSE ever had this happen to them? Not exactly like the above obviously.

And the moral of the story is carry 2 spare batteries in ya glove box and the bloody alarm code in your wallet!!!!!!!
Old 05 January 2006, 10:43 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought everyone had had this happen at some point, its very common on most makes of car, had it myself on the Subaru & Transit Van !!!
Old 05 January 2006, 10:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Got Subaru Assistance to get me out of trouble a year ago when this happened.

Had it fixed under warranty (shielded remote unit) .... free.

take the car into a dealer and get it sorted!

Pete
Old 05 January 2006, 10:56 PM
Daz1121
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing happen and only way round it was to put the alarm on from inside the car using the keypad. Then you disarm the alarm with keypad, bingo, immobiliser is off and car will start. Had to take my classic to main dealer at Widness to fix and not had a problem since with it.
Old 05 January 2006, 11:06 PM
isubaru
Scooby Regular

yep 100% its the radio mast, i used to work next to one and could never set the alarm using the fob on my golf, took my Impreza recently to the same spot and the same thing happened! Cant explain why as im no disambiguation spectrum analyst!!
Old 05 January 2006, 11:15 PM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

Funny you should mention this but i have also experienced this problem at my local Morrisons store (killingworth), the alarm will simply not work and i need to lock the car using the key. Luckily i do not have this problem often as i rarely visit the store due to it being crap and full of chavs!!!!
Old 06 January 2006, 01:46 AM
BigBaz
Scooby Regular

Neighbour has same problem a couple of times. With each case parked close to police stations with big radio masts on their roof`s. Last time the subaru assist man knew and helped push the car and heh presto car started no problem.
Old 06 January 2006, 08:17 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Just seems how stupid it is that Subaru UK fit these alarms to their cars when they are prone to this frequently (when other cars in our family have never had it happen to them at all) and indeed, have the worst remote range I have ever encountered - I cannot even open my MY05 from the boot but have to be by the passenger or drivers door window to do it. Pathetic alarms really when there are so many others that don;t have this problem. Sorry Sigma, but your alarms are pretty much pants!
Old 06 January 2006, 08:28 AM
stewfo
Scooby Regular

Hi
I had a similar problem in Aberdeen (John Lewis car park is notorious for this) pushed the car about 2 meters and bingo immobiliser works. Now i always test the alarm before i let the immobiliser kick in as it affects subarus in Northfield as well.
Old 06 January 2006, 10:57 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Although posted before, it's probably worth posting again for anyone new to the forum and for the benefit of anyone else who may suffer from this.....

Radio Lock Out:
- All alarm systems manufactured for use in the UK in ’99 were required to operate on the frequency of 433MHz. Subsequently, in late 2000, the government allowed the introduction of the “Tetra” radio network for telecommunications companies, the military, police, fire and ambulance services etc, which was allocated the 420-430MHz bandwidths.

Although not exactly the same frequency, these “Tetra” transmitters are licensed and so are allowed to operate at around 20,000 watts, compared with the alarm systems 0.5 watt radio key (necessary so that your radio keys remain exempt from annual licensing fees!)

As a result, when you are near a transmitting “Tetra” mast you can get a degree of “bleed over” as their signal is so much stronger and this can swamp the transmission from the radio key.

This problem is not exclusive to this system and can occur on any number of manufacturers systems produced prior to 2001.

The receiver boards were redesigned to focus more accurately on the 433.92HHz frequency as soon as this problem became evident, however, systems manufactured before 2001, with the older receiver boards that may have experienced this problem, are not faulty and were not considered eligible for warranty.
However, as a goodwill measure, customers who suffered from “exceptional” radio lock-out (ie lived or worked below a mast) were offered an upgraded receiver board whilst the vehicle was still within the warranty period.

This goodwill period was extended for a further 12 months after the 3 year warranty period expired, but ended in December 2004.
Later ECUs are available from Subaru (part number SACC 3465) but these are now chargeable

Avoidance:
There are a few points that should be remembered:

- All vehicles that passed through the import centre from January 2001 are equipped with the latest receiver boards that are "Tetra Resistant" and so should not experience this problem.

- A keypad is fitted to ALL models with the UK standard fit alarm system (from 99 MY) as an emergency override, in the event of loss, damage, flat radio key battery etc. (The keypad also allows the driver to access a number of features and is a complete programming tool for the dealers) and so pushing/recovery of vehicle’s should not be necessary provided you know your override PIN and ow to operate the keypad.

- The keypad can NOT be affected by "Radio Lock-Out", as it is hard wired into the system and does not rely on a radio transmission.

Keypad Use:
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a secuity feature to prevent random attempts at steeling the vehicle, however, it is also an inconvenience if you are suffering "Radio Lock Out" and enter your PIN incorrectly.

- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.

If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be aborted and started again after 30 seconds.

Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

Summary:
My advice is to read the alarm system's instruction manual and practice entering the PIN before you need it. If you do not know your PIN, or bought the car second hand (in which case the PIN may have been changed by the previous owner) you can change the PIN to one of your own choosing, using the keypad, provided that you have a working Radio Key.

Changing your PIN:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad: *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)
- Arm the system with the Radio Key
- You should now be able to disarm the system using the new PIN code

Ensure your keypad is operational before you need it on a dark night!
If this is an ntermitent problem, use of the keypad should overcome the problem. However, if the problem is more frequent it may be worth considering a new control unit - An SACC 3465 should cost in the region of £70 from a Subaru dealer and your existing keys can still be used.
Although installation may take around 30 minutes, do not pay over the odds for programming the system, as this can be done in 5 minutes using the keypad.

Sorry that this is such a long-winded post, but I hope that it answers the questions raised and will keep everyone mobile.
SS
Old 06 January 2006, 11:04 AM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Where is this keypad? I have a MY01 Uk spec dutch import which has the normal remote key and an alarm fob.
Is this likely to have the keypad fitted?
Old 06 January 2006, 11:17 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Keypad normally seems to be top right of the windscreen under the sun visor - this is where my Sigma is, and most of the others I've seen - but I think lots of alarms dont come with a keypad so your car could have a different make or type of alarm fitted.
Old 06 January 2006, 12:02 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Definately don't have one there. Mine is a Gemel Serpi Star Cat 1 system.
From what I can gather it was fitted upon import.
Guess it doesn't have a backup in case the fob doesn't work.

Edit - ignore that, just found the emergency disarm procedure in the manual. No keypad.
Old 06 January 2006, 02:58 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

The keypad I refer to in the post above is the one fitted with the Sigma M30 Cat 1.
If the car is a UK supplied vehicle, with the standard fit Sigma system the keypad is located in the glovebox on "classic" 99-00 MY vehicles and in the compartent above the drivers right knee on 01MY onward vehicles.
If your vehicle is a pre 99MY or an import, but has had the Sigma M30 fitted as an aftermarket installation you should also have the keypad, but the location will depend on the installer.
SS
Old 11 January 2006, 04:47 PM
sizzy1969
Scooby Newbie

Angry sigma alarm first day ou

ohhh first day out in me new scoob and it wont start luckily still had the remote pin in glove box i know not security concience but glad to have it a building with a zillion aerials on in close prox got car home works fine unfurtunately car park is the only one near to work pants!!!!!!
Old 11 January 2006, 04:50 PM
sizzy1969
Scooby Newbie

my keypad is by right knee when sitting in drivers seat it looks like a fuse panel cover it flips down and you can enter the code hopes this helps somebody
Old 10 May 2006, 01:42 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Mine has just started doing this, at the same spot, but no radio mast in sight!

Dealer changing control unit - MY03.

Thought only earlier cars affected.
Old 10 May 2006, 03:06 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing, not in a Scoob though.

I was parked outside a laser-age building.
Worked out what it was and told the owner.

He'd recently sold his car because he thought there was a fault lol
Old 10 May 2006, 03:12 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

Mine does it outside the dry cleaners only!
Old 25 January 2011, 05:46 PM
Balderz
Scooby Regular

Well what a good read as im parked outside bakewell police station waiting on AA to move my car do I can use my key fob lol
Old 25 January 2011, 06:15 PM
Wagon_Pete
Scooby Regular

Should I be worried that I dont know if I have a keypad? '02 Wagon WRX Clifford stickers in the windows however no documentation to support (presumably lost by previous owner) and alarm is set via original Subaru keyfob.
Should I be looking for one?
Old 25 January 2011, 06:43 PM
s c o o b y
Scooby Regular

i work for travis perkins and drive there lorry which has a remote control crane and if i turn it on in our yard my blob sti wont open on the key either i only found out by look because i happened to want something out the car while i was loading up i thought the battery had gone didnt think anything of it but it worked later i then thought about it and went and turned the remote crane on again and hey presto it wouldnt open again so i turned it off and it opened straight away so be warned if you are near one of these !!!
Old 25 January 2011, 10:26 PM
73henny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Got Subaru Assistance to get me out of trouble a year ago when this happened.

Had it fixed under warranty (shielded remote unit) .... free.

take the car into a dealer and get it sorted!

Pete
Thought you had a Civic?, and before that an old Impreza - so how come you had Subaru Assistance and a warranty?
Old 25 January 2011, 10:36 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by 73henny
Thought you had a Civic?, and before that an old Impreza - so how come you had Subaru Assistance and a warranty?
Had a similar instance with my clifford alarm due to a remote control for the conservatory light fan being on could not operate the alarm until I left the drive. Lifted the book off the remote and alarm worked perfectly.
Old 27 January 2011, 03:05 PM
BexWRX
Scooby Regular

I had this on a Volvo a couple of years back - turned out that after the RAC man had bu**ered up my alarm system, if I'd nly pushed it 50metres back, it would have been fine!
Old 27 January 2011, 03:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happens all the time to me, have to use the pin code ..
Old 27 January 2011, 04:10 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Now i know why my immobiliser plays up in waitrose next to the police headquarters.