Sponsored by:

classic upgrades What first?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2005, 11:54 PM
richclamp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb classic upgrades What first?

I have had my99 classic now for a year and its totally standard, and now have managed to save £2000 for upgrades. Living in sheffield, where is the best place to take the car too and what should i start with as far as modifications are concerned.........

many thanks. Rich.
Old 14 November 2005, 12:02 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Full decat and a Ecutek remap will see you to around 270-280bhp.
Old 14 November 2005, 12:08 AM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

your not to far from scoobyclinic near chesterfield.it may be worth giving them a call?
exhaust?
filter?
remap?
brake pads?
suspension parts (anti roll bars)?
this is a list of parts i would consider if i was only going to spend £2000.00.
Old 14 November 2005, 12:14 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Full decat and a Ecutek remap will see you to around 270-280bhp.
as above. go for decat and remap at scoobyclinic but check with insurance co. first
Old 14 November 2005, 12:18 AM
richclamp
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by richclamp
I have had my99 classic now for a year and its totally standard, and now have managed to save £2000 for upgrades. Living in sheffield, where is the best place to take the car too and what should i start with as far as modifications are concerned.........

many thanks. Rich.
thanks for info so far, just found scoobyclinic on web will give them a call tomorrow.

Do you really have to let insurance company know about upgrades???? paying 800 quid as it is for insurance....
Old 14 November 2005, 02:09 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Do you really have to let insurance company know about upgrades???? paying 800 quid as it is for insurance....
ABSOLUTELY !!!! You will be driving effectively without insurance if you do not declare to them straight away any modifications fitted to the car, whether they be performance or styling. A bigger wing, some nice 18" alloys, or power mods however insignificant all need to be documented. If you were to have an accident and the claims assessor spotted anything different from OE spec on the car they would invalidate your policy immediately and refuse payment, and should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident which involves medical treatment and/or possible compensation claims you would be in a world of hate and possibly staring at a 5-7 figure bill and criminal proceedings

Speak to your insurers before calling Scoobyclinic and if they are unhappy covering them, or you are unhappy with any extra premiums levied then put the plans on hold until you can secure suitable insurance cover. Many of us with modified cars are now with A-Plan Insurance, whom will pretty much accept any mod, and once you have paid for a modified policy you just inform them of any future enhancements and there is usually no premium increase, just a small admin fee.

For reference, I have a Leeds postcode (heavilly loaded ) am 35yo with 16yr NCD and no points driving an MY03 WRX PPP with AST coilover suspension, modified ARB's, brakes, bracing, filter, STi wing etc and pay IRO 630 with A-Plan

Echo what's been said about Scoobyclinic Amongst the best out there. Knowlegable, competent and professional, and a superb bunch of lads.
Old 14 November 2005, 04:33 AM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

better suspension definately as the standard stuff is not that good.
Old 14 November 2005, 09:12 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

0208 6427868 Gary Moulson @ Keith Michaels sorted me out.

25 years old, MY00, basic mods and parked on the road for £800
Old 14 November 2005, 09:18 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

TSL are not a million miles away either are they?
Old 14 November 2005, 12:19 PM
gotmashed
Scooby Regular

26 94 wrx import 4 years no clames £660 all mods with the aa lol
Old 14 November 2005, 01:27 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Coilover Suspension, braided brake hoses and bigger/better brakes are a must before you even consider increasing the oomph. Stopping and handling are a major part of improving performance.

Once you have done that uprate your ARBs and maybe drop links.

Then change the crank pully for a Perrin or GFB one, this will have an immediate and noticable effect which might keep you happy until you can save up some more money.

A new STi panel airfilter will also be of benefit to you.

decat downpipe makes a big difference to turbo spool up but also increases the amount of noise the car makes. A slightly larger bore backbox is a good compliment to a decat downpipe but is not esential as this aswell will increase the noise of the car and also get you into the "I am a **** club".

The best solution would be a high flow sports cat dpwnpipe and a decat resonated centre pipe, this will give yoor turbo more chance to breath but will also keep you in the "pass the mot catagory".

once you have got to this stage then you could consider an ECUTEK and remap, but until you get to this stage there is little to be gained from just a remap with every other part being standard.

right now lets see what the experts/so called experts have to say!!!!

Last edited by Wurzel; 14 November 2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 14 November 2005, 02:24 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Suspension: Only if you are unhappy with it
Brakes: Only if you find them inadequate
Notifying the insurance comp: Essential

Tuning: De-cat (£300), filter (£30-40), boost gauge (£30+), knocklink (£100) and MBC (£30-40). Also change the ECU for a AE800/1 if you have a AE802 (£100).

Enjoy the car and put the remaining money towards the next stage of mods which will be more costly and involve turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, FPR, remap, etc etc.

All IMO.
Old 14 November 2005, 03:07 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoboy
...snip
A bigger wing, some nice 18" alloys, or power mods however insignificant all need to be documented. If you were to have an accident and the claims assessor spotted anything different from OE spec on the car they would invalidate your policy immediately and refuse payment, and should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident which involves medical treatment and/or possible compensation claims you would be in a world of hate and possibly staring at a 5-7 figure bill and criminal proceedings
Good advice. However No insurance engineer is going to spot an Ecutek remap, unless they rip up the carpet n plug the ECU into a laptop. They simply wouldn't do that Even if they had doubts about the performance, say if the car was still driveable, they wouldnt put it onto rollers to find out either. In my experience (although I don't condone it) it's amazing what you can get away with.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:28 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Good advice. However No insurance engineer is going to spot an Ecutek remap, unless they rip up the carpet n plug the ECU into a laptop. They simply wouldn't do that Even if they had doubts about the performance, say if the car was still driveable, they wouldnt put it onto rollers to find out either. In my experience (although I don't condone it) it's amazing what you can get away with.
No - They would never do that would they - after all it takes all of 5 minutes!!!

If they were suspicious they would do whatever it takes - After all would you not check a few things over before paying out £'000's. If you only had an ECU upgrade it may not arouse suspicion but you would more than likely have an exhaust and filter too and this is obvious.
Old 14 November 2005, 05:37 PM
PhilA
Scooby Regular

STI panel filter is in the box, they aren't going to check that. ECU you can probably get away with.

But alloys, brakes and exhaust etc. are all too visual and you will get caught out.
Old 14 November 2005, 07:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Also change the ECU for a AE800/1 if you have a AE802 (£100).
PMSL do you know where we will be able to get hold of one
Old 14 November 2005, 11:29 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stevebt
PMSL do you know where we will be able to get hold of one
Now that you mention it Steve.....

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=470026

Old 15 November 2005, 10:45 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I'd go for a 22mm adjustable rear ARB and solid drop links 1st... They make so much difference to the handling that you cant believe the car wasnt setup this way in the 1st place.
A full geometery set up and whiteline anti-lift kit.
Upgraded brake pads all round - something like Pagid RS421 or Ferodo DS2500s for road use. Change to decent brake fluid and some braided brake lines.
A full decat - loads of exhausts 2nd hand on here and ebay and they last for ever if stainless steel so save some money and buy used.
Good panel filter.
Ecutek remap.
Old 15 November 2005, 07:46 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScooBStu
No - They would never do that would they - after all it takes all of 5 minutes!!!

If they were suspicious they would do whatever it takes - After all would you not check a few things over before paying out £'000's. If you only had an ECU upgrade it may not arouse suspicion but you would more than likely have an exhaust and filter too and this is obvious.
Oh please, do you really think an insurer assessor/engineer would know how to plug a scoob ecu into a laptop and then know how to read the modified map. I think not. Exhaust backbox would be obvious yeh, but most ppl declare that straight away anyway. Filter is not so obvious if it's an STi panel job. And I'm sure an assessor would believe it to be a standard part.

Last edited by bioforger; 15 November 2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 16 November 2005, 05:51 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

I'm in a similar situation to you (live not far from you either). I've got a MY00 uk, had full decat and remap at scoobyclinic, can't fault the service. As for 270-280 bhp on this spec car, I have my doubts. i got 256 bhp, but the car feels and drives totally different. Best to buy 2nd hand parts if possible, you won't have much left out of 2k with a full decat, remap and panel filter if you buy all new.
Old 16 November 2005, 05:59 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

hacksaw & a set of billy's
Old 16 November 2005, 09:12 PM
richclamp
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby_matt
I'm in a similar situation to you (live not far from you either). I've got a MY00 uk, had full decat and remap at scoobyclinic, can't fault the service. As for 270-280 bhp on this spec car, I have my doubts. i got 256 bhp, but the car feels and drives totally different. Best to buy 2nd hand parts if possible, you won't have much left out of 2k with a full decat, remap and panel filter if you buy all new.
thanks matt for info, did you use the rolling road at scooby clinic thinking of taking mine for a run to see what i get before upgrades start.
Old 17 November 2005, 06:12 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Sort handling first, worth every penny.Can be done for £500 ish depending on how far you want to go.
Suggest Alignment Bump steer Mod,and up rated rear ARB maybe with drop links at same time.
Then brakes (up rated pads a start) and exhaust.
Then Re-map or 2nd hand PPP ECU,
Transforms car,should have done mine sooner.
Old 17 November 2005, 06:58 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Oh please, do you really think an insurer assessor/engineer would know how to plug a scoob ecu into a laptop and then know how to read the modified map. I think not. Exhaust backbox would be obvious yeh, but most ppl declare that straight away anyway. Filter is not so obvious if it's an STi panel job. And I'm sure an assessor would believe it to be a standard part.
Your having a laugh mate. These insurance companies are very hot on not paying out their hard earned money!! They will do anything to not make a payment. If you think you can fool a loss adjuster then good luck to you, but you will come off second! These guys know exactly how to do disect your car and find mondfications, its what they do for a living.

Si
Old 18 November 2005, 10:50 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

BS! they're not hot at all. Mate I've done it before with no issues at all on a few cars. On one car the engine mods were blatantly obvious, different insurers, different 'engineers', always the same outcome, here's your payment, or yes we will go ahead and repair it for you. Have you ever been through a loss claim yourself? These assessors are muppets most of the time when it comes down to the engine mechanicals.
Old 18 November 2005, 11:40 AM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

thanks matt for info, did you use the rolling road at scooby clinic thinking of taking mine for a run to see what i get before upgrades start.
Yes mate, all done on the scoobyclinic rollers.
I didn't have it RR'd before I started, so I don't know what the car was produsing in standard form.
It is an expensive process, but it does make the car feel like you always thought a scooby should feel like....if you know what I mean...
Old 18 November 2005, 04:48 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BS! they're not hot at all. Mate I've done it before with no issues at all on a few cars. On one car the engine mods were blatantly obvious, different insurers, different 'engineers', always the same outcome, here's your payment, or yes we will go ahead and repair it for you. Have you ever been through a loss claim yourself? These assessors are muppets most of the time when it comes down to the engine mechanicals.
You've got it spot on, if your willing to be a pushy sod and use your head about things then you can get away with hell of a lot. Are you really telling me that the insurance chap who has to see tens of different cars every day is going to be bothered with the ins and outs of an ECU on one car? - if he checked them all they would sack him for not getting through enough cars in the day. If you have undeclared engine mods they need to be pretty blatent to be picked up, however if you think your a bad driver and the insurance company should charge you a several hundred pounds more then declare them.