Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY99 vs Prodrive

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2000, 10:19 PM
Ro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently driven a MY99 with a Scoobysport exhaust and compared it to a MY00 with the PPP on it.
I couldn't really find much difference to justify the cost of the PPP, am I missing something ?
Ro
Old 17 September 2000, 10:49 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

There does seem to be varying levels of power outputs between Scoobies of even the same model year. I had an RB5 and ran it for a while and then added the Prodrive conversion. Certainly gave a good increase in power and loads more mid range torque. There's no way a back box on its own would do that.

JOnathan
Old 17 September 2000, 10:57 PM
MatthewR
Scooby Regular

Did the MY99 have only the Scoobysport backbox, or did it have the full Scoobysport exhaust system?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ro:
<B>I have recently driven a MY99 with a Scoobysport exhaust and compared it to a MY00 with the PPP on it.
I couldn't really find much difference to justify the cost of the PPP, am I missing something ?
Ro[/quote]

Old 18 September 2000, 12:49 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have a std MY00 and my Boss has just bought an MY99 RB5 Prodrive. I notice a BIG difference, mainly in torque (both general increase and availability at lower rpm).

As to if its worth the money, that's been discussed a lot on this BBS. £2K is a lot and there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. But I want an upgrade that won't invalidate my warranty, and am going to treat myself to a PPP soon...
Old 18 September 2000, 09:54 AM
Ro
Scooby Regular

The MY99 was a friends car which has done 27k, mostly all fast motorway miles. The Prodrive is a dealer demo 6k miles, presumably mostly in the stop start traffic of West London.
Running in differences ?
Old 18 September 2000, 09:56 AM
Ro
Scooby Regular

Sorry Matthew, it just has the SS back box only.
Old 18 September 2000, 10:07 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Which exhaust system did the Prodrive car have?
As the Prodrive is faster than the standard UK car in all aspects It might have been the sound of the backbox colouring the overall impression.
Old 18 September 2000, 02:22 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
I got a PPP after a back to back comparison with a standard car. It took me all of 30 seconds to make the decision, but I drove on for another three hours just for fun (thanks to Listers of Worcester for the loan of their demonstrator). The PPP car will pull the headlights off a standard motor. They're really night and day.

There's clearly something wrong with one or other of your comparison cars. I can only think that the PPP conversion is optimised around 98 RON fuel, although it still goes like the clappers on 95.

There are cheaper ways of getting the same gains as the PPP delivers, but for convenience and peace of mind (ie warranty) ProDrive wins every time.

Hoppy
Old 18 September 2000, 02:40 PM
Ro
Scooby Regular

I also did a back to back comparison of his MY99 with SS b/b against a dealer MY99 Std. exhaust system and there was a marked difference between the two.
Dippy + Hoppy I suggest you try one with a SS box on it for your comparison.

Ro
Old 18 September 2000, 05:55 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ro, both Hoppy and I have mentioned Warranty. I am not going to make the mistake of claiming that the PPP is even close to the value for money (on performance alone) of the other aftermarket mods available. However if warranty is important to you then it is the ONLY mod available!

I understand that most if not all of the bhp gain from a PPP is due to the exhaust, so clearly a SS box is going to give similar results for less. As for the ECU, it appears from the dyno results that I have seen that it improves the useability of torque, but that may not have seemed much to you.

I assume that you don't care about Subaru warranty? If I didn't care about warranty then I certainly would NOT get a PPP. From what I've read a SS box and a Possumlink probably get you better performance for less.
Old 18 September 2000, 06:48 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

i drove a my99 standard car and then a my99 PPP car before i bought my MY00 and the PPP car was definitely in a different class.

low and mid-range it was much sharper and much quicker.

whether its worth 2k is another matter.

i too value my warranty and would probably do the PPP route after much saving !

steve
Old 18 September 2000, 09:34 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive, Unichip, PE Phase 1, PossumLink and standard scoob would all be within a second of each other in a 0-100.
My last UK Scoob 283 bhp at PE & 247 bhp at PS could not get to 100 any faster than a Standard scoob. It did feel much better to drive though.
Old 18 September 2000, 10:17 PM
Ro
Scooby Regular

Dippy, you mention warranty, the SS box on the MY99 does NOT invalidate the Subaru warranty.

Old 19 September 2000, 08:07 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ro:
<B>Dippy, you mention warranty, the SS box on the MY99 does NOT invalidate the Subaru warranty.

[/quote]

Officially it DOES invalidate warrenty - just try asking SUK. HOWEVER, majority, if not all dealers will turn a blind eye - most will even fit it for you.

Officially any non-oem (or Prodrive) product is warrenty threatening.

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 19 September 2000).]
Old 19 September 2000, 09:07 AM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

To clarify the situation, officially no Prodrive product is warranty threatening, even the new rear silencers we have available for Turbo and Sport 99/00MY.
ALL other products are non-approved as they have not been tested and approved by Subaru UK and therefore DO NOT comply with the warranty terms.

Mike
Old 20 September 2000, 06:26 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I too agree with Ro. I have driven both the prodrive and the MY99 with SS exhaust and there is little difference between the two. In fact, the MY99 is more fun because of the way it encourages you to flick through the gears instead of sitting and doing little because of the torque from the prodrive. £2500 is a waste of money, considering you can get more bang for bucks from under £500

<B>I have recently driven a MY99 with a Scoobysport exhaust and compared it to a MY00 with the PPP on it.
Ro[/quote]

Old 20 September 2000, 06:38 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Why waste money on a PPP, when you get a Sti Type R for peanuts!

Prodrive are really defeating the object of the Scoob....i.e. most fun for your pounds, by slapping up stupid prices for little improvement in performance. Maybe we should call them BRABUS or ALPINA
Old 21 September 2000, 09:15 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

If the object of the scoob is more fun for your pounds why are there so many aftermarket add-ons for the damn thing.
And why are we buying them.
There are lots of areas where a standard scoob, import or uk can be improved. What a person chooses, and how much he/she spends is up to them. And a Brabus, though prohibitively expensive also has a warranty.
Which is only really an issue when your car goes bang!
Old 21 September 2000, 06:46 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

This maybe true, but how can a conversion costing £2500 justify a mere 42 bhp more than the UK scoob, when the sss exhaust and good air filter would probably match that for a lot less money.

I think that people should choose wisely when spending money on mods,either that or get yourself a ****e BM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bajie:
<B>If the object of the scoob is more fun for your pounds why are there so many aftermarket add-ons for the damn thing.
And why are we buying them.
There are lots of areas where a standard scoob, import or uk can be improved. What a person chooses, and how much he/she spends is up to them. And a Brabus, though prohibitively expensive also has a warranty.
Which is only really an issue when your car goes bang![/quote]

Old 21 September 2000, 07:28 PM
AtulM
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Jay,

I'm sorry, but I don't think you are qualified to make a remark on the ppp as you are not a scooby owner and you have probably only driven it once!!!! You need to drive the ppp a few times to really experience the obvious difference in enjoyment & performance. Definately worth the extra £2,000.I am sure others will agree.
Old 21 September 2000, 09:57 PM
Rico
Scooby Regular

JayRaj

there is no way that a scoobysport backbox and new air filter would match a cica 42bhp gain from the PPP...you might get mid single digits bhp gain..or a little more...but not even in the same ball park.You get what you pay for to a certain extent...Kwik save versus Sainsbury's springs to mind !

ps I'm currently debating PPP'ing my Impreza 99 but price v gains is a difficult call( I'll agree there)

r
Old 21 September 2000, 10:41 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had a PPP put on my MY99 a few months back.

The absolute increase in power is difficult to comment on, but the hike in torque is extremely noticeable. It's much more fun now to drive with the extra torque.

One thing to watch out for when test driving PPP cars, if others are like mine, is that it seems very temperature sensitive, more than the std car I'd say. When I first had it, it had good days and bad days, depending on the weather I think. Now the weather has cooled off a bit it goes like stink all the time.

I also like the noise the BB makes. It is noticeably more rorty than the standard BB, but much more subtle than the Scoobysport BB, which may be important to some (tho my neighbour still commented "see you've changed the exhaust then...", fortunately he's a scoob admirer if not owner).

Yes 2k is an awful lot of money and you can indubitably achieve the same effects cheaper, but if you value your warranty and want more power you've got little choice.

Also, I have heard, but don't know, that you will recoup some of the PPP's price when you come to sell the car, whereas cars tuned up by other means can lose out on value, presumably because buyers are deterred by "non-approved" mods.

I hope this helps

Simon
Old 21 September 2000, 10:47 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Ramone, my soon to be Sti Type R V 4/5
will blow your pants PPP car away.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AtulM:
<B>Jay,

I'm sorry, but I don't think you are qualified to make a remark on the ppp as you are not a scooby owner and you have probably only driven it once!!!! You need to drive the ppp a few times to really experience the obvious difference in enjoyment & performance. Definately worth the extra £2,000.I am sure others will agree.[/quote]

Old 21 September 2000, 10:58 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

A decent full exhaust system and filter can release over 30bhp on a UK Scoob, but the increase in torque is minimal.
This is where the PPP gains are the highest anyway. amd is really what most people want from there car.

Stef.
Old 22 September 2000, 12:09 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Stef

I agree, BHP is for bragging about down the Pub (and on here) or for race cars.

I want a torque hike and I couldn't care less what the eventual HP increase (or drop) was. I'm gonna get a remap first and invest in exhaust / air filter later.

Gary
Old 22 September 2000, 12:55 AM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Performance increases are hard to quantify on the road unless you drive hard all the time. I only realised how much of an improvement my Link ECU / HKS induction filter had made to the car on a recent track day - following a couple of other UK Scoobs down the main straight I had to back off a fair bit to remain at a safe (?!) distance.
Only with such a direct comparison can the improvements be observed in the real world !

Neil (96MY)

ps. I'm sure my Prodrive front seats make a difference too, gotta be worth 3 or 4 brake ?? lol.
Old 22 September 2000, 08:08 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Jay,
Only if you get a good one......

So by your power increase estimates, my STi should have 320ish hp. Cool - thought it was quick
Old 22 September 2000, 01:14 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Bash/anyone, why technically does the downpipe make a difference? Do you have to remove the cat?

I've got a MY00 with a PPP and would like a bit more pull in 4th and 5th - I've got a warranty to keep though.
Old 22 September 2000, 01:22 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

I might well have missed the point, but why are we comparing the PPP with a SS back box?

Am I wrong or isn't the PPP more than just a back box?

Anyway I've recently fitted a SS back box to my otherwise unmodified UK MY00, for improved sound and looks.

I didn't expect any particular performance enhancement.
Mind you, pressing the accelerator now gives me an even bigger smile the before.

Do all same MY U.K. standard scoobs have identical performances anyway? (In practice not theory.)

Rich (more questions than answers)

Quick Reply: MY99 vs Prodrive