Sponsored by:

Does anyone remember ...

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2000, 12:41 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

As my Dad is very fond of saying : 'Every generation has to go through a Labour government'....

I'm not very keen on any politician, but I can't help thinking that this situation has been so badly handled (their arrogance is almost unbelievable) that it has done irreparable damage to the government. I don't think this will be forgotten in a hurry.

Chris
Old 13 September 2000, 12:53 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Problem is that William (14 pints) Hague is such a non-entity that I'm not sure what he would actually do with the country.
Old 13 September 2000, 12:56 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

But can anyone remember why we booted out the last Labour government?
Old 13 September 2000, 10:47 AM
206GTI Brudda
Scooby Newbie

Why the Tory's were booted out at the last election?

This isn't a supportive or rabble rousing exercise. I just can't remeber myself, and I'm pretty concerned that if it was for a vailid reason - we should be careful about making the same mistake again..

Cheers,
Phoenix
Old 13 September 2000, 11:00 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

The reason they were kicked out was because the UK population thought that someone else could do better. However, this has not been proved the case, so eventually, the Tories will get re-elected, and then the moaning will start again, until Labour get re-elected and so on until the end of time.

The problem is that running a country is a very difficult thing to do. Whatever you do, the voters don't like it becasue they all want something for nothing. Well I'm sorry people, but that just ain't the way it works! WHy don't you stop moaning and become an MP if you think the governmwent is so bad?

The tories reduced taxation, which is popular, but let education, NHS, Armed forces go to the dogs, which is unpopular.

Labour are raising taxes, (unpopular) but are putting more money into public spending (popular) It's the same cake, but cut different ways.

Geezer
Old 13 September 2000, 11:00 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

If you need to ask your memory must be going!

It's strange how all the tories have now forgotten that they invented the fuel tax escallator in the first place! And the principle of high secondary taxation over primary.

Hague would promise to kiss your **** if he thought it would make you vote for him!
Old 13 September 2000, 11:06 AM
206GTI Brudda
Scooby Newbie

My memory is limited as far as political concerns go, after a month or so of trying to fathom the unfathomable wisdom they force feed us - I tend to tune out and go for a drive..

Still - no one has really been able to come up with whatever the final nail in the Tory coffin was though.
And to be honest - I'd much rather they put tax on fuel than shafted me out of another days wage. (Enviromental issues are a valid reason for the increase - anyone denying that has got to be a little short sighted.)Higher income tax would be the perfect excuse to leave this god forsaken grey old rock that we live on.

[This message has been edited by 206GTI Brudda (edited 13 September 2000).]
Old 13 September 2000, 11:55 AM
adamson
Scooby Regular

As I recall, it was the sleeze factor over the previous 2-3 years that seemed to be the final nail in the coffin of the last Tory adminisration.

Craig.
Old 13 September 2000, 01:31 PM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Cool

"Winter of discontent" springs to mind...now what are the truckers going to do between now and next election time

C'mon you truckers

Yex
Old 13 September 2000, 04:00 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Question

Ah - a history thread!

I wonder how Maggie would have dealt with this one. Remember the miners' strike?

Err...