Tracker Whats the incentive

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2005, 04:27 PM
Fluffmeister
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker Whats the incentive

Hi Folks

My MY03 WRX has a tracker fitted (Tracker retrieve) and they want £30 to transfer ownership and then £325 lifetime subscription. My insurance company (Royal and Sun Alliance, through Carole Nash) have not insisted on a tracker being fitted, and if I resubscribe then it's a "Whopping" 5% discount on my premium (about £35).

I suppose the question is, is a tracker retrieve actually any good (not that I want it back after some pikey has trashed it), and am I just lucky with an insurer who does not require one fitted.

Seems wrong to me that you are forced (in some cases) to shell out a lot of money on a tracker and subscription to get a pretty meager discount, if the insurer's where that confident in a trackers abilities then surley a hefty discount would be applicable.....

Sorry if I am digging up old ground folks

Cheers

Fluff'
Old 24 March 2005, 04:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If its well fitted and well located a retrieve might offer more chance of recovery than an active GSM/GPS based tracker; theyre SO easy to defeat. Has anyone noticed that whilst Tracker regularly publish 'recovered' statistic you can not find out how many cars disappear and are never heard of again; its a lot I assure you. I can find a GSM based device with a novelty from an electrical shop and disable it with a pair of sidecutters. Not too long ago I heard that the SIM card from one had been used to make calls ffs!

Simon
Old 24 March 2005, 08:28 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Well i would like the police to know exactly where mine is at all times so they can retrieve it the same days its stolen.

Trashed or not its easier and quicker to go through the insurance company if its delbt with instantly.

Also i would like the criminal to be caught. Tracker is the best way.

I got mine activated
Old 24 March 2005, 08:48 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

What's the incentive? **** all in my opinion, they want £500 to fit it £350 to activate it, (or £100 a year), and then when it get's nicked and come's back full of dent's and half the interior missing, then the insurance company argue the toss about paying out. All this just to save about £50 a year on your premium, unless you intend keeping the car for about 20 year's it's a waste of money, you may as well up your voluntary excess, if you want to save some money. What we need to do is stop the thieving scum in the first place (that's the insurer's as well as the car thief's).
Old 25 March 2005, 12:27 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

So you would rather the cops find it a day after its been dumped and criminals get away? or track it, chase it and arrest the ****ers?
Old 25 March 2005, 12:51 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G_Sleigh_STi
So you would rather the cops find it a day after its been dumped and criminals get away? or track it, chase it and arrest the ****ers?
I know what you mean, but iv'e had four vehicle's stolen in the past, and every time they caught someone, it was a case of " ok sonny promise not to do it again and we'll say no more, and then we'll send you on some character building holiday as a punishment, if that's alright with you son". I'd just rather save the £1000 or so it cost's to have it fitted, just to save £50 a year on my policy, and as i only keep a car for about two year's max, i can't see much point in subsidising tracker's for the benefit of the next owner.
Old 25 March 2005, 08:13 AM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

I have Tracker Monitor fitted to mine, as it was fitted to the car by previous owners i had to transfer it all into my name at a cost, 30 odd quid i think. then i paid a years subscription, £100+ or whatever it was.

Anyway, a couple of long stories short, i decided one day to phone tracker and ask them if they could tell me where my car was, just to satisfy my curiousity. they said no!! I asked why, due to the fact that as i purchased the car with it already fitted i said i would like to have the re-assurance that it works. they told me they would have to send a mechanical engineer along to check it, and wait.........yep at a cost of around £80+

So i said 'basically, i wont know for sure if it works or not until its stolen'. The answer was yes.

Subsequently, I never renewed my subscription.
Old 25 March 2005, 08:56 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

lets be honest would you really wont your car back though I have a friend on the GTi forum he had his Gti-6 stolen just before Christmas joy riders in Wood Green he got his back
After he chased them through the streets one Friday night he was told by mates they had all seen it going about he got it back 3 weeks after they had there hands on it
Now a Gti-6 is no where near as expensive to repair as one of these but his car was so badly f**ked
The insurance company wrote it off the gear box was dead the engine was on its way out and the ice he did have was all gone the pannels where ok bit scratched
But even so he said it was hart breaking to see what they had done it was a great motor and he looked after it big time like any performance car you didnt care for it then it dies on you
But he said when he went to see it the next dya in the day light he could have cried
SO trackers are good if your insurance company offer you good discount lets say 50% but if not whats the point your doing the job of keeping the theives at bay you should be rewarded by your insurer I think
other wise when its gone pray it dont come back or if it does its burnt out cos you dont wont to see what they do to it honest you wont
Forgot to say I had one of my many RS Turbos nicked about 4 days after buying it funny it ended up about 15miles away from the guy I bought it from
When it was found I was gutted it was a F reg but had the newer 1990 spec interior in it it was Turbosystem tuned and was really quick
They left me a shell no interior door pannels
No seats front our rear
smashed every window took the alloys oh and funny cos all the ECU's had gone too they left me a shell and then dropped the car on the sump smashing the gear box and sump
I couldnt even get the car out of where they stuck it
It was in one of them under ground car parks but all the cars have there own garage with door hence nobody seeing what they were doing
I was hopping to get the shell home as it was by then my 7th RS and I had so many spears engine, gear boxe, Ecu's fuel units you name it really I even had a series 1 RS interior I could have put in it I was going to re-build it as the body pannels where in good nick and they had left me the bonnet and vents lucky for me well you have to look at the posatives dotn you
I got nothing as I was only 3rd party on the car gutted isnt the word I think I would rather of never seen it again
SO for me Trackers should be rewarded as it does deter car theives and I think it does help in take the theft part away from the cars we own as we have to also pay fee to have them active too then insurance companies should offer a fat discount not that they will
Sorry its a bit long just had to say what I though

Last edited by kris55; 26 March 2005 at 10:02 AM.